Overtaking in Left lane -

Guest John Sydney

Guest John Sydney

I lost the thread about overtaking in the left lane - It seems I was wrong, The law in NSW use to be no overtaking in the left lane but it has been removed.

You are allowed to overtake in the left lane no matter what speed your doing

It seems this is standard across Australia

From what I've noticed left lane undertaking can be done at any speed in WA.. whether its legal at what spped I wouldn't know - just one of the quicks of drinving here.

I lost the thread about overtaking in the left lane - It seems I was wrong, The law in NSW use to be no overtaking in the left lane but it has been removed.

You are allowed to overtake in the left lane no matter what speed your doing

It seems this is standard across Australia

You were partially right mate you can undertake if you change lanes but cant undertake in the same lane ie single carriagway as mr plod told me yesterday on my motorbike

This is the same rule as in Canada and the USA (and probably other places but these are the ones I know).

It takes a bit of getting used to after the UK but, once you know that overtaking can happen on either side and get used to checking your mirrors and over your shoulder before any manoeuvre, I think it's a better system. It certainly moves traffic better and makes a more efficient use of the lanes available. How often have we all been caught in a queue of traffic in the offside lane of a British motorway while the other two lanes were relatively clear?

Bob

This is the same rule as in Canada and the USA (and probably other places but these are the ones I know).

It takes a bit of getting used to after the UK but, once you know that overtaking can happen on either side and get used to checking your mirrors and over your shoulder before any manoeuvre, I think it's a better system. It certainly moves traffic better and makes a more efficient use of the lanes available. How often have we all been caught in a queue of traffic in the offside lane of a British motorway while the other two lanes were relatively clear?

Bob

Its great pick the bodies out of a wrevk where an overtaker met an undertaker and the latter was needed , happened in front of me on the freeway not nice

Bob

The rule is keep left and is in Australia but these thick eejits just want to doddle in the outside lane

Even in the UK when I left, there were enough people who would "undertake" on the motorway that it took a foolish driver indeed not to user their mirror and shoulder check before changing lanes in either direction.

Surely KNOWING that somebody might be legally overtaking on your left and ALWAYS checking is much safer in the long run than just assuming everyone follows the rules and not looking over your shoulder?

Bob

Archived