moving to Sydney in Jan with RAN, where to live/avoid

Guest guest25493

Guest guest25493

Hi everyone, could I possibly have some advice. My family and I are moving to Sydney in January, my husband is in the RAN. He will be based at Watson. Well, before we go, we get a choice of married quarters to live in, but what areas do you all recommend for us, or even avoid. I have three children, 13, 9 and 7, so schools are important, not being snobby or nothing, if you get my meaning, but we would like to be somewhere where my children can play in the street etc.

Any help and advice would be fantastic.

Thank you all

Lynette:biggrin:

Guest ponym110

Hi Lynette

I came across in Nov last year, you can't do much better than the sutherland shire. Good schools, close to the beach and good shops.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest boomerangpommie

I'm in complete agreement with ponym110 - the Shire is simply gorgeous and has it all!!!

Guest guest25493

hi, I have heard the Shires are superb, but, how far and how long would it take for my usband to get to HMAS Watson? I have heard that Ermington, and west Ryde are quite nice, any more ideas?, cheers

Guest ponym110

approx 30-40 mins, which for Sydney isn't bad. Watson is quite isolated unless you live in the adjacent areas. I've got friends who travel from West Ryde to Watson and it sometimes takes them over an hour as the have to go across the city.

Guest boomerangpommie

I'm sorry, I can't give you any times to get to places, when I lived in the Shire I became like a lot of locals and didn't really want to go anywhere if it meant crossing the bridge and leaving the Shire! lol

• 1 year later...
Guest guest25493

hi, well we are in Sydney now, the r.a.n put us in Dundas...so now for areas to avoid, dundas,ermington, carlingford, hornsby,castle hills,eastwood, ryde,pennant hills...all these places are miles from the beach, very busy, miles from anywhere.

I think the shires are gorgeous, and wish we had managed to get a house there. northern beaches are nice

Archived