Meds Question

UKtoOZ

I have received a Case Officer.:jiggy:I am a nurse going on a 457 visa. My CO has instructed me and the kids to go for medicals. I asked about hubby and I have been told as he is not working in a hospital/classroom a medical is not required. Can anyone confirm this as I was under the impression that we all had to have medicals.

Also no police checks are required. Again I thought we had to have these done.

Oh well some money saved. :unsure:

Guest NurseFlo

Hi, am surprised about no police checks too and would double-check that....

As your fella is going on your 457, he only needs a chest x-ray. Only when you go for your PR do you all need full medicals. So, there's only you at this stage needing a full medical/bloods/CXR.

Good luck! x

Hi, thanks for that. I have queried this with my CO and she has replied that as the 457 is a temporary visa no police checks are required. She also has said that my hubby will not require a medical or chest xray as he is not in a classroom/hospital environment.

Feel so confused. :unsure:

Guest NurseFlo

well your CO knows better but I had to get police check done (only on me) for my 457 - although am wondering if perhaps this was for the hospital now.....hhhmmmm. My fella is coming on my visa and he works in IT (not that they asked) so no clinical/educational contact either but they did insist on him having a CXR.

Anyway, now that he's had that done, I've actually had it confirmed that he does have a heart (not just a swinging brick), so it was worth the 70 quid! x

can i hijack the thread for two seconds - do any of you know if you have to have your xray before your medical? i am having conflicting reports from the xray people and the medical people!! We have them both booked on thursday and taking a day off work but have been told now that the medical doctor needs the xrays prior to medical, if this is true it could be a totally wasted day!

Cheers for any clarity you can offer

Guest NurseFlo

I had mine done at the same place and within an hour of each other. The xray was done first, then the medical. The reports from the examining doctor and the radiologist were sent together by them to Oz about a week after my medical - they have to wait for all the blood results to come back from the lab before they send the whole lot off. The radiologist quickly viewed the image whilst I was there to say there wasn't any problems - although I think they have to actually let the people in Oz view the images (which are sent on disc) to make the final assessment.

thanks guys! really helpful, hopefully we should have a problem and if we do i will jus refer them to the POMS in OZ forum!! ;o)

Nurseflo - congrats on getting your visa by tha way, i see you just got it, how excited are you!? ;o) Hope the moves goes well x

Weve just had our meds done today. I am also going for a 457 visa.

We all had to have the meds done and hubby also had the HIV bloods done too just incase of PR when we get there. I was told all he needed was medical and xray. no bloods as he wasnt going into health or school, but we agreed to the HIV test anyway.

Ive just posted to my blog. It says what we had done today. My three yr old also had a medical but no bloods, urine or xray.

Grand total of £560:shocked:

Im sure everyone needs a police check

Guest Emcooper

Pam, Im unfamiliar with your particular visa but I was under the impression you all needed medicals. As mentioned though, surely your case officer knows best. Is it possibe for you to email the immigration department and double check? if they say he doesnt have to thats fine but it would be a shame to have everything sorted, for them to say your husband needs one too then you have to wait longer sorting it all out. Will def be watching this thread with interest

I have emailed and the response was that hubby did not require meds or CXR. Also CO said that Police Checks were not required.

Will have to trust my CO and do as asked. Just dont want to find out down the line that that the info is incorrect. :unsure:

Archived