Cockroaches!!!!

welsh in oz

ohI HATE them!! We moved into what I thought was a really nice place two weeks ago only to find out we were infested with those little brown german cockroaches!!!!

Not the big beasts, could almost cope with one or two of them, but this was hundreds of them, living in the dishwasher and under the sink!! I sound really pathetic I know but they were NOT what I wanted to move into my first place in Oz and find!

Fumigator came round eventually after me using cans and cans of mortein and I think they are slowly going now but they were even under toilet seats in the height of the infestation!! Everyone back in theUK says 'get used to it you're in Oz' but how wrong they are! NOT a common feature of Oz houses as far as I know!

AAARRRGGGHHH.:arghh:Rant over thanks if you bothered to read :smile:

Guest Guruju

Sorry to hear of your experience but glad you have PIO as an outlet. I have to say that when I lived in more tropical regions of Australia the cockroaches were more evident and needed a conscious effort to keep on top of.

Living in Perth I now see the odd one but using barrier spray around the doors/windows and outside skirting of the house seems to keep them at bay.

Here's hoping the fumigation has worked for you but I recommend ensuring the outside points are redone from time to time to keep the buggers out.

Cheers

Julia

Totally sympathise, we had a smiliar experience in our first rental. Our kids were 4, 3 and 10 months, and I was really scared with the baby crawling around as they put anything in their mouth!

Our agent told us that you had to expect it in Queensland, but like you said, we knew that wasn't right. We opened a bamboo blind one day and heaps of them were crawling in it. The place was sprayed, and afre a couple of weeks they did die out. Moved further inland now, and expected similar, but haven't had the fumigators in yet in 6 months, and haven't seen one!

Jo x

Totally sympathise, we had a smiliar experience in our first rental. Our kids were 4, 3 and 10 months, and I was really scared with the baby crawling around as they put anything in their mouth!

Our agent told us that you had to expect it in Queensland, but like you said, we knew that wasn't right. We opened a bamboo blind one day and heaps of them were crawling in it. The place was sprayed, and afre a couple of weeks they did die out. Moved further inland now, and expected similar, but haven't had the fumigators in yet in 6 months, and haven't seen one!

Jo x

we get an occasional one but we keep these little packs that deter them and put them around the house, like under the sink, bed stereo cabinet. Have not had to spray for six years.

Guest Emcooper

we used to get cockroaches in the house....bu not to that extent.that was def an infestation!! altho normal to get a few. Cockroaches were the only thing the dog wouldnt it. She would chew them and lave them on the floor for us. Nice!

Guest yankee

I hate them. NYC is infested with them and in my first place there, I had hundreds crawling though my kitchen cabinet after my first night (with groceries) there. Here's what you do: Continue to bomb the place once more, afterward air everything out, wash everything down and vacuum in every little tiny spot that you can possibly reach to get their dead bodies. Yuck, I know.

Get some silicone (ya know, in a tube, use the clear kind) and remove every drawer from your lower cabinets in the kitchen, also empty out the cabinet under your sink. Clean everything well. Silicone the spaces between the cabinet and your wall as well as the space between your drainpipe and your cabinet, if there is any. If there are any big gaps down there, get some steel wool and stuff it in there (after you've put some more poison down in the hole). If you have upper kitchen cabinets, look on top of them for anything that looks like eggs. spray them and remove them, then clean up. Same goes for a walk-in pantry, and the bathroom. You want to seal anything that could possibly lead to the outside. Then, put the traps underneath the fridge etc. That shoudl get the rest of them if there are any left.

Go get those nasty critters! :arghh:

thanks everyone! they seem to be going now, the fumigator said they are only ever in a house when they've been introduced, usually in cardboard boxes and they come from the USA! So they are not the big round ones that crunch when you step on them! still wiping everything before use and need to set bombs off this week according to fumigator. Yuck!! At least we dont have ants yet....!!

oh no how horrible!! we have the odd 1 or 2 and thats bad enough. As everyone has said have plenty of bait around and i a can of mortein is never far away!

I imagine now its getting a bit cooler we will see less of them???

glad your winning the battle!

Guest snow white

we havent had many at all thank god only seen 2 in 9 months!

bloody ants are a pest though but rather have them than cockroaches anyday

lesley x

Archived