Query diabetic flying within Aus

Guest Guruju

Guest Guruju

Does anyone know what the practicalities are of travelling within Oz as a diabetic. Have been on the Qantas website and Diabetes Australia but it seems geared to international travel and not domestic.

Any diabetics with recent flying travel in Oz able to say what really happens re security and having diabetic kit on board?

My OH has to travel as an emergency to Cairns from Perth on Monday as his father has to have emergency surgery due to a very recent discovery of aggressive cancer and OH has not had to fly since being diagnosed with diabetes so not sure if he needs a letter from the Dr or will his NDSS card do etc.

Any advice welcome.

Also, anyone who knows of any deals for flights or car hire also welcome.

Cheers

Julia

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Julia,

I'm a type 2 diabetic and I travel extensively within Australia (at least once a week) and all I do is carry a letter from my GP certifying that I am a diabetic and that I need to carry needles etc and may need to use them on the plane.

I have never had a problem.might be wise to tell the airline at time of booking though,just in case.

BTW check out Jetstar and Virgin Blue for fares,they have some good deals at the moment because load factors are so low.

Guest yankee

Hi Julia,

It's of course best to ring and ask the airline directly. However, you coupld simply bring a letter from your doc or a prescription, and your meds as well (which you will probably take in a cooler, right)? Let them know at check-in that you are a diabetic. Show security your meds and the paperwork. Once onboard hand the meds to the flight-attendant so that she can cool it, if it needs cooling. Otherwise, keep it with you. Usually planes do have an emergency diabetic kit on board though, FYI.

Hope that helps and happy travels!

Guest The Pom Queen

An NDSS card should be enough, however, it is better being safe than sorry so I would just get a letter wrote from your Dr and this will be fine. Otherwise you may end up with a check in assistant who has no idea what an NDSS card is.

Archived