Supermarkets!

LukeM

This one's definitely top of the wanted skills list!!!

Yes, I am kidding by the way. How do you think I will manage if say I'm 16, looking for part time shop work and have currently 6 months experience behind me as a Customer Service Assistant at a large Sainsbury's supermarket in the UK (by the time I make it to Australia, if ever, that will have amounted to over a year's experience probably)??

Would I have much trouble getting work in a shop of some description... be it Coles, Woolworths, Dick Smiths... JB Hi-Fi etc (I'm up for anything shop work though like supemarket, fast food places etc - just anything like that)

What's the thinking here?

Guest Australia_bound?
This one's definitely top of the wanted skills list!!!

Yes, I am kidding by the way. How do you think I will manage if say I'm 16, looking for part time shop work and have currently 6 months experience behind me as a Customer Service Assistant at a large Sainsbury's supermarket in the UK (by the time I make it to Australia, if ever, that will have amounted to over a year's experience probably)??

Would I have much trouble getting work in a shop of some description... be it Coles, Woolworths, Dick Smiths... JB Hi-Fi etc (I'm up for anything shop work though like supemarket, fast food places etc - just anything like that)

What's the thinking here?

Would depend on where you are in Aus. Some places there are people lining up to get any job that pays a wage. The recession is biting hard, much as it is in the UK. But if you try hard enough something will turn up :cool:

Guest Australia_bound?
Interestingly people don't seem to talk about it in the same way, though. Will I possess an advantage though with having experience?

I'd imagine so.

Guest Guest26012

Supermarket jobs here are no longer easily got! I have a friend whose daughter (15) has been on waiting lists for months, Coles and Woolies. She just got a job at KFC on a casual basis. Some weeks shes full time, others 1 shift a week! We are in Perth. She had 4 years experience at supermarket in uk. Sometimes its the luck of the draw? Recession biting, as others have said so lots of competition!

Yeah I mean I won't really care if I don't get a job, because it's been a nightmare having one here in the first place particularly in a Supermarket and I'm not planning to go straight to Uni I don't think!! Probably will want to get certain qualifications behind me before I'm even eligible etc... hmmmm luck of the draw indeed. As I said though, I just asked to see what the situation for jobs like that was atm.

Archived