Fees for AQF3/Cert3, aud13,315 that can't be right?

cobbler

I've just had a email back from TAFE SA to say for me to get a AQF3/Cert3 as shoemaker/Shoe repairer, would take 36 weeks and cost $13,315 and he pointed out that trades related to footwear are not included in (DIAC),(MODL),(CSL) and not under the South Australian Government General Skilled Migration Program.He recommends that as it is a complex area that I should seek advice from a UK Agent (I don't have one yet) just pio. The thing is that I have been a Shoe Repairer for over 19 years and do not need training up from scratch just gain an Australian recognised Qualification and get assessed by the TRA. Until 2007 Shoemaker/Repairer was on the in demand list and is still on the SOL with a value of 60 points. Any advice most welcome.

Hi. Can you call the TAFE in South Australia? The price they have quoted is undoubtedly the full international student fee if you are doing the entire course from the beginning. As you point out, you don't need to do that. You need an assessment, through recoginition of prior learning, of your skills. TAFE colleges in Australia do RPL (recognition of prior learning). Go to the TAFE website and research that and then try to call someone or email back the person who sent you the info and tell them you have 19 yrs experience and just need RPL. Don't be put off if they don't know what you are talking about. I called TAFE in Chadstone, Victoria the other day and was put through a couple of people who didn't know either but their particular location did not have an AQF III assessor. I finally found out that the person who had been doing their assessments had retired. So I think some of the TAFE colleges may not be geared up for the AQF III assessment. I'd keep digging a bit more with the Adelaide TAFE. And if you are going for state sponsorship (176) using your 60 point skill you need to look at all the state's immigration websites to see which state has that occupation on their skills list. Gill has posted the website links for the various state immigration websites elsewhere in this forum. Just search for state sponsorship. Just because you might be getting an AQF III assessment from Adelaide it does not mean you have to apply for South Australian state sponsorship.

It is quite possible that the TAFE will have to write the competency assessment for you as an RPL applicant - ie as a Recognition of Prior Learning assessment.

There aren't too many others with your occupation who want to migrate to Australia and that require a Certificate III, so you may find yourself bearing the TAFE's entire cost of this exercise.

Best regards.

Archived