Where to live - North Perth

Guest Dominic Wood

Guest Dominic Wood

We have been given short notice to start with my new job in January and my work will be based in a place called Mirrabooka (About 15 - 20 minutes north of the City and the same distance from the Ocean, at North Beach) We don't necesarilly need to live close to work, I'm more than happy to drive thirty minutes or so to work, so with this in mind, has anyone got any good ideas for nice family, safe and friendly suburbs to live in, to the North West of the City. We also have to consider good schools for the three kids as well, so any advice on good ones, in the recommended areas would also be really appreciated. I'm concerned that we are not going to find the right schools and enrol the kids before the new year on 1st Feb and with everything else to worry about, we're all a bit of a mess right now. Still I suppose less time to worry about whether we're doing the right thing. The kids aren't bothered, they said they're happy to stay at home until the next school term starts. They'll go far!!

Any advice would be fab, because we need to start with contacting schools and then try and secure a rental house nearby.

Thanks and good luck with everyone else.

Dom :

Hi Dom,

Mirrabooka is a suburb which consists of a large proportion of "homes west" which to us are council houses. You might be better going somewhere like Darch. But I don't think you will really know what you like until you get there and are able to have a good look round.

I wouldn't stress out too much about schools, take your time to have a look around the ones in the areas you fancy because you don't want to put the children in the wrong one and have to take them out because they don't like it. They will be fine for missing a few weeks, just get them a few of those literacy/numeracy learning books to do at home. I don't think you will have a problem getting them into a government school even mid term, as long as you are living in the catchment area but all the private ones have waiting lists.

website for schools http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au

property website with suburb profiles http://www.reiwa.com.au

All the best with your move,

Cath

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark&Justine

Hi Dominic

You can always try PomsInPerth website, they have loads of details about renting property all over Perth, shows you properties that are on offer. I am sure you will have no problem.

Great that your off in January,

NEW YEAR NEW COUNTRY!

Fantastic

Good Luck,

Keep us posted on your experiences of the first few months in Perth.

Justine & Mark

• 2 years later...
Guest NewLifeDownUnder
Check out the website Australia migration - suburb profiles, accommodation, schools, real estate, jobs in Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Darwin and Hobart - it gives info on the different suburbs of Perth. It gives a rough idea of what real estate is going for and info on schools in the area.

Georgina

Cool Website, Many Thanks.

At least we can get some idea of where to head for our 1stRental!!

Much Appreciated

Hi Dominic & Family

I had to laugh when I read your post. You lot are nearly as busy as us! We got the visa mid October and hubby is to start job 1st December so we fly to Perth via Singapore on 17 November arriving in Perth 22 November. The job is in Joondalup so we hope to settle in one of the suburbs surrounding that. Our first furnished rental is in Joondalup itself. Our first priority is to get schools sorted for our tribe and wherever they are will determine where we settle - hopefully!

It's all a massive rush sorting everything here before we go but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Good luck with your plans, keep asking questions on here, they're great!

Carrie x

Guest Westozzie

Hi Dom & Family, If you have not decided yet I would suggest Kingsley Greenwood & Woodvale. All are closer to the ocean than Mirrabooka but only 15 to 20 minutes away from Mirrabooka. Kingsley is in between Greenwood & Woodvale, all have great schools for young kids & teenagers. Kingsley only has primary school's so 6-12 years Greenwood & Woodvale have both Primary & High Schools.

Guest earlswood

Northbridge and Freemantle are quite rowdy with a lot of anti-social behaviour and gangs of youth who decend on a weekend, I would not choice these places if I had a family.

Guest Westozzie
Northbridge and Freemantle are quite rowdy with a lot of anti-social behaviour and gangs of youth who decend on a weekend, I would not choice these places if I had a family.

Well northbridge is where all the nightclubs and pubs are, so you are always going to get drunk people around that area. Freo is alot more laid back, sure late at night there might be a few drunk people around but would not class it as anti-social behaviour. Freo is a great place to go to have a few beers on a sunny afternoon.

Guest earlswood
Well northbridge is where all the nightclubs and pubs are, so you are always going to get drunk people around that area. Freo is alot more laid back, sure late at night there might be a few drunk people around but would not class it as anti-social behaviour. Freo is a great place to go to have a few beers on a sunny afternoon.

yes, but I would not walk around these places after dark on my own....especially Northbride where I live.

Especially when the hoons are out.

Fremantle is Perth's hottest spot for auto theft

Also the one from the Dark side is an inhabitant there :yes:

Mally

I`m detrollified

We have been given short notice to start with my new job in January and my work will be based in a place called Mirrabooka (About 15 - 20 minutes north of the City and the same distance from the Ocean, at North Beach) We don't necesarilly need to live close to work, I'm more than happy to drive thirty minutes or so to work, so with this in mind, has anyone got any good ideas for nice family, safe and friendly suburbs to live in, to the North West of the City. We also have to consider good schools for the three kids as well, so any advice on good ones, in the recommended areas would also be really appreciated. I'm concerned that we are not going to find the right schools and enrol the kids before the new year on 1st Feb and with everything else to worry about, we're all a bit of a mess right now. Still I suppose less time to worry about whether we're doing the right thing. The kids aren't bothered, they said they're happy to stay at home until the next school term starts. They'll go far!!

Any advice would be fab, because we need to start with contacting schools and then try and secure a rental house nearby.

Thanks and good luck with everyone else.

Dom :

Hi We came over in FEB and lived Nor, we are currently rentin in Kallaroo, but have stayed in Somerly, a lot of the northern suburbs north of Connolly are known as Pomsville, a bit biased but self explanatory. The freeway extension has opened up to Burns Beach rd and makes it a quicker journey from Clarko ,Currambine Joony Butler. These suberbs have lots of rentals and are cheaper than more southern ones like where we are Hillarys. You should go for a holiday let for a few weeks so you can search for a rental. You have to physically view propertys here. I worked at landsdale about 10 mins away from Mirrabooka. I used to travel from Clarkson before freeeway extension and it took me 25 mins less when you learn all the tricks and shortcuts

Mally

Guest earlswood
Also the one from the Dark side is an inhabitant there

Mally

I`m detrollified

:biglaugh: hey, why are you felling crappy :err:

Archived