Lives in limbo

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

I keep stumbling across threads where people mention that although they've been in Oz for 10, 15, 20 years or so they are still homesick and miss the UK. That they couldn't move back and had to stay. Now their children are grown up, gone where ever and they long to go home, but the chance has long gone. One person mentioned that he was glad that PIO was there for other people to learn from his mistake. I feel quite sorry for these folk and it just re-enforces our decision to return to the UK as soon as we can. I do not want to be another person who lives in limbo for the rest of my life.

It takes a lot for folk to move to Oz, though if you are thinking of going back don't be afraid of what people say or think as it takes a brave person to put up their hands and say 'enough is enough'.

Guest nikkichap
I keep stumbling across threads where people mention that although they've been in Oz for 10, 15, 20 years or so they are still homesick and miss the UK. That they couldn't move back and had to stay. Now their children are grown up, gone where ever and they long to go home, but the chance has long gone. One person mentioned that he was glad that PIO was there for other people to learn from his mistake. I feel quite sorry for these folk and it just re-enforces our decision to return to the UK as soon as we can. I do not want to be another person who lives in limbo for the rest of my life.

It takes a lot for folk to move to Oz, though if you are thinking of going back don't be afraid of what people say or think as it takes a brave person to put up their hands and say 'enough is enough'.

I know what you mean, a friend of mine has been here nearly 40 years! He still has a British passport as he said he would never give it up. He told me that everyday he wishes he had moved back to the UK many years ago and Australia would never be home. I just dont get it! Why would you stay somewhere that doesn't feel like home. I knew after 7 months that Australia will never be my home. I'm not embarressed to say "it's not for me" I'm proud to be going home. I don't want to live with regrets. I want to be where I feel I belong and thats the UK. :hug:

Guest ollie247

Hi you are right. We have been here 3 years just gone and now we are trying to sell our house we bought last years as we are really homesick and looking to move back. The only thing stopping us really is finances. Debts here a house etc, But would defo jump on a plane back to the north east of england tomorrow.

Ollie247

Guest ollie247
Great post swing low,where are you and where you going back to?

We are living south east Melbourne but originally from Marske near Redcar/Middlesbrough area... How about you guys??

Guest London Girl
I know what you mean, a friend of mine has been here nearly 40 years! He still has a British passport as he said he would never give it up. He told me that everyday he wishes he had moved back to the UK many years ago and Australia would never be home. I just dont get it! Why would you stay somewhere that doesn't feel like home. I knew after 7 months that Australia will never be my home. I'm not embarressed to say "it's not for me" I'm proud to be going home. I don't want to live with regrets. I want to be where I feel I belong and thats the UK. :hug:

I know people that have been here over 11 years and they still wish they had not of left, now they find it too hard to go home but are unhappy.

Personally I think that it really is a culture thing and the weather. It is too lonley and I am not the first to say that it is really hard to meet genuine people and have meaningful ongoing relationships. I really honestly cant wait to hear the London slang and see the grey days and the cold weather and the couple of days of hot summer because the things I miss are exactly that. There is nothing like coming home after a long day and snuggling up with the central heating on and getting that fresh cold air in your face when you go outside. The last time I opened my window up at night to get a bit of fresh air without the screen I got an invasion of cockroaches, yuk.

I dont care about what anyone wants to say you cannot beat the British sense of humour, the local pubs, the parks and going to Brighton and having cod and chips.

Life is too short to try to make something work if it is not in your heart anyway.

No need to feel bad about leaving! My husbands an Aussie born and bred(as were his parents, grandparents and great grandparents and he loves the UK..we went back to Aus last May for a few weeks holiday and he wanted to come "home" to the UK after a week. Once he had seen his family and old mates he couldnt wait to get back on the silver bird and come back to England.So if an Aussie prefers the UK, no reason why you shouldnt either!

We are living south east Melbourne but originally from Marske near Redcar/Middlesbrough area... How about you guys??

If I could go back to Middlesbrough I might leave too - it's where I was born but after graduating from Newcastle in the last recession I was forced to 'get on my bike' and move down south for work. I lived in limbo for 13 years (I had a smile to myself about London Girls post 'cos if I never hear London slang again it'll be too soon) & tried in vain to get work in the North East so tried Scotland. I was happy enough there but it still wasn't home, funnily enough I actually think Perth might be. For the first time since I left home I'm living where I want to & feel that if I'd never had to leave the NE for work I'd still have chosen to end up here (& if I ever get homesick I can take a drive through the works at Kwinana - even my 5 year old noticed the similarity with where Grandma & Grandad live :biglaugh:)

I do hate London with a vengence & it is only after reading posts on here about people hating Australia with a similar passion that I've come to realise I blamed a place & it's people for ME not belonging so good on you for recognising that & being brave enough to admit it.

Jules

(ex Stainsby girl :biglaugh:)

Interesting thread. However these people who live here for years and years and hang on to all things Brit are a pain, how do I know because my mum was one of them and now I am retired and she really changed the whole way I looked at emigration and life and for my brother too. Always wishing she was back in England, this is better that is better etc. Its not good for children. So if people want to to go back they should otherwise they should put up and shut up for the sake of their children. Its not good to have children growing up to hate the same things we hate.

She returned and lived there for a while but she came back. Dad would never return.

Its only in the last ten or fifteen years that brother and I have talked about the damage it did to us. Of course we are over all that but it was an absolute pain to know that a parent was making us live somewhere she did not think was up to par.

I lived in the UK with my husband and when we returned here to live we took out citizenship as soon as we could as my children were to be born here and I wanted it to be their home and them to love it and of course it has worked.

If people think that children do not notice and they will be right its not true.

Guest guest22466

Yes Petals thats what happens when parents migrate to another country and if one likes it and the other one does not for what ever reasons , I agree its NOT good for the children......but the children and the parent who is not happy remains in the migrated country for the sake of the other parent and BY LAW can not take the children back home. This can bring mental , physical and financial issues into the picture without the help and support from your family and friends back home. Its another risk you take coming to live in another country and everything good and bad that goes with it..........No one ever knows what around that corner in life......its too easy to judge really.....

Couple of examples - I was temping at Dept of Aged Care in Sydney - data entry - the data I was putting in was for people who had to be 'put somewhere' 'cos they became incapable of looking after themselves for various reasons - I couldn't believe how many from non-Australian backgrounds had the box ticked "no known family" - I thought it was so sad - at bus stop a while ago I got chatting to an elderly lady who turned out to be English - had been here years - she was dressed up like she was going somewhere special - and told me she had just visited her husband in a 'home' he had dementia and didn't recognise her - she told me she visited him everyday just to sit next to him - all her kids had grown up and moved away and I got the impression she didn't see much of them - I dread to think where she is now!! If still alive probably sitting in a room 'watching' day time TV with elderly polish, chinese, italian, eastern european, greek, etc. etc. waiting to die......sorry being very morbid here - also a couple in their 60's down the road from me have been living here for years - would love to go back to UK - but can't afford it and have nowhere to go!! He helps out in the Fruit Shop (unpaid) for something to do!!

Great post swing low,where are you and where you going back to?

We'll be heading back to the stunning Southwest coast, having originally moved from Weymouth area. Presently in Riverina area NSW. :wacko::arghh:

Couple of examples - I was temping at Dept of Aged Care in Sydney - data entry - the data I was putting in was for people who had to be 'put somewhere' 'cos they became incapable of looking after themselves for various reasons - I couldn't believe how many from non-Australian backgrounds had the box ticked "no known family" - I thought it was so sad - at bus stop a while ago I got chatting to an elderly lady who turned out to be English - had been here years - she was dressed up like she was going somewhere special - and told me she had just visited her husband in a 'home' he had dementia and didn't recognise her - she told me she visited him everyday just to sit next to him - all her kids had grown up and moved away and I got the impression she didn't see much of them - I dread to think where she is now!! If still alive probably sitting in a room 'watching' day time TV with elderly polish, chinese, italian, eastern european, greek, etc. etc. waiting to die......sorry being very morbid here - also a couple in their 60's down the road from me have been living here for years - would love to go back to UK - but can't afford it and have nowhere to go!! He helps out in the Fruit Shop (unpaid) for something to do!!

That is a sad story, I don't want to be in that situation. I feel sorry for them!

Archived