Getting An N.I Number-How Easy Is It?

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi All,

As some of you may know I am moving to the UK shortly to be with my GF and to run a restaurant I have bought.

What I need to know about is the procedure for obtaining an N.I. number,how easy is it? I am a UK citizen but as I left the country when I was 4 years old and never having worked there,I haven't got an N.I. number,so how easy is it to get one,will my UK passport and birth certfificate be enough I.D ,and which agency issues them.

All advice appreciated.

Guest Working to fish

Inland revenue

not sure if you can do it on line ,if not just pop in to see them when you get to uk ,but.

eddie

:idea:

Guest Swing low sweet chariot

Make some enquiries on line using the HM revenue and customs website, that should hopefully give you some pointers. I'm sure it will be a damn sight easier than trying to sort out a similar problem than here in Australia. I would think the red tape would be much less in the UK. Good luck, I'll be on my way back asap!

Hi Nigel

My Aussie husband had to get a National Insurance number when he started work inthe UK, but if you have a British Passport it should be a bit easier.

You will have to go to your nearest jobcentre Plus office and they will arrange an interview for you. This may not be in your town but nearby. We live in Northumberland and had to go into Newcastle-Upon Tyne for this interview.

They will send you a letter out giving you details of the interview and what you have to take with you. You need take your passport and documentation to confirm your employment or that you are actively seeking work.

Its usually straightforward.

Good Luck!

Guest ElleNico
Hi All,

As some of you may know I am moving to the UK shortly to be with my GF and to run a restaurant I have bought.

What I need to know about is the procedure for obtaining an N.I. number,how easy is it? I am a UK citizen but as I left the country when I was 4 years old and never having worked there,I haven't got an N.I. number,so how easy is it to get one,will my UK passport and birth certfificate be enough I.D ,and which agency issues them.

All advice appreciated.

Hi, I hope this following info helps...also, a very useful website for this sort of info is www.direct.gov.uk

It should be a straighforward process and your passport,birth cert, are sufficient for identity. As you were born in UK you should have a number in the system somewhere!! .....good luck.

:GEEK:

If you want to apply for an NI number to start work or make voluntary contributions - Telephone 0845 600 0643 (8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday). Jobcentre Plus will check to make sure:

• that you need a NI number

• you don’t already have a NI number

Where you don’t have a number but do need one Jobcentre Plus will arrange an Evidence of Identity (EOI) interview for you. Jobcentre Plus will confirm the date, time and location of the interview and will tell you what information/documentation to bring with you.

'Evidence of identity' interview

Jobcentre Plus will use this interview to check that you are who you say you are, where applicable, your eligibility to work in the United Kingdom and to protect your national insurance and security accounts.

What to expect

The interview will usually be one-to-one (unless, for example, you need an interpreter). The interviewer will ask you questions about who you are, why you want an NI number, your background and circumstances. The interviewer will also ask to see the information/documentation you were asked to bring with you to the interview. During the interview an application for an NI number form will be completed and you will be asked to sign this form.

I had the worst trouble trying to get an NI number when i lived in Scotland, and i still don't have one! I am a UK citizen, but they woudn't let me have an interview for the NI number until i had a job, and when i did get a job, it was in the middle of nowhere, so i couldn't arrange for an interview!! Nothing like here in Australia where you just fill out a form and they mail it out to you!

Good luck!

Guest treesea

Yes, when we came back the DWP were just as useless, saying you couldn't get a national insurance number without a job, but employers didn't want to give you a job without an NINO, in case you were trying to work illegally.

Best thing is to register with the HMRC as self employed. They'll want to know things like whether you are operating the restaurant as a sole trader, partnership (best until you have heaps of profit) or a company. Once you have the documentation from the HMRC, confirming your registration, go to the DWP to get a national insurance number. They still interview you though. If you are not expecting to make £15,000 profit in the first year, register for working tax credit with the HMRC, EVEN IF you still don't have a NINO. They should just put in a temporary NINO for you, until yours comes through. Don't put up with the DWP hassling you. If they still won't help, just go through the complaints procedure. You're British and entitled to a NINO. Is it your fault that your parents uprooted you from the UK before you were 16?

Guest treesea

0845 numbers here are a real ripoff. It's cheaper to call the geographic number instead. Go onto www.saynoto0870.com and type in the 0845 number. It will give you the corresponding geographic number if on their database, or some alternative ones which may be the switchboard, so can put you through.

Dont know mate but will keep an eye on the telly mite make Ramsays kitchen nitemares , be a good show aussie running a brit restaurant , make sure you use local produce and seasonal or he will have your F*&&*&&* guts for garters lol, hope its not poncy food tho does my head in

Mallly

Archived