The All New CPV thread

sandch

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest happilou

Hi everyone,

My mum did her chest x-ray a couple of days ago. The chest was clear however there was an issue with the heart. There seems to be a mild enlargement to the left side of the heart.

Does anyone have experience how DIAC views such findings? Mum has no high blood pressure, diabeties therefore we were quite surprised with the x-ray results. Will DIAC send mum for further tests (ECG) or will be mild condition be alright generally?

Thanks lots!

Guest ancpar

Hi Happilou,

I had this problem with my x-ray last year, it was found that I was not standing shoulders square to the x-ray machine which gave the impression of a slight enlarged heart on one side, the radiologist noticed and took second & third x-rays by adjusting my stance, and all was found ok.

Maybe the same ocurred in your instance, could be worth checking??

Good luck

John

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone,

My mum did her chest x-ray a couple of days ago. The chest was clear however there was an issue with the heart. There seems to be a mild enlargement to the left side of the heart.

Does anyone have experience how DIAC views such findings? Mum has no high blood pressure, diabeties therefore we were quite surprised with the x-ray results. Will DIAC send mum for further tests (ECG) or will be mild condition be alright generally?

Thanks lots!

Hi happilou

I know zero about medical matters. However I am pretty sure that several people on the forums say that they have been told that the heart sometimes does get bigger as the person gets older. Apparently it is quite normal and nothing to worry about.

The Medical Officer of the Commonwealth's job (at the moment) is confined to isolating the would-be migrants who would cost the Aussie Government $21,000 ir more during their first 5 years as Permanent Residents in Australia.

If the MOC doctors are not sure about your mother's x-rays, the chances are that they will request that a cardiologist should examine her. This is quite common. In every case that I have heard of, the cardiologist has confirmed that there is nothing wrong with the person concerned.

Which shuts the MOC up. Full medical clearance is therefore given,

It is worrying and it can be expensive to arrange a private consultation with a cardiologist. However beyond that I've not heard of difficulties from the MOC when there is no medical problem to worry about.

Cheers

Gill

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, We have just paid our 2nd VAC for the 143 visa. We paid this to the Australian High Commission in London. Saved a bit, but it still cost us £40,350.00. A lot of money, but we cannot buy the time we will have with our family. We are very excited. and we would like to thank everyone on this forum expecially Gill. Good luck to all parents.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi everyone, We have just paid our 2nd VAC for the 143 visa. We paid this to the Australian High Commission in London. Saved a bit, but it still cost us £40,350.00. A lot of money, but we cannot buy the time we will have with our family. We are very excited. and we would like to thank everyone on this forum expecially Gill. Good luck to all parents.

Hi Phyllis

Well done for making the payment. You can't take money with you in the end.

Fingers crossed that your CPVs will be granted very soon. Please let us know when you get the magic visa grants, won't you?

What are your plans once you have the visas? Do you intend to go to Oz to settle pretty quickly once you have the visas?

Cheers

Gill

Guest austibeach

Hi Phyllis, congratulations, it really is getting to the exciting part after such a very long wait. We like you have just made our 2nd VAC payment and will now be patiently waiting for that visa. I'm a little puzzled at how much you have paid, as we have paid £38,500, perhaps your circumstances are not the same as ours.

I have been a member of this forum for a VERY long time now and there has been a considerable amount of useful information provided by many members, which has helped to make the long wait more bearable and also helped to solve some of the questions that we had needed answered.

Gill has been a tower of strength throughout her time on this forum and I sincerely hope that she will continue to be so for the legions of others who will be going through the same process in the years ahead.

When we finally make the move I will probably not have a great deal of time to come onto PIO , but I will try and visit occasionally if I have something useful to add, that might make the decisions easier for anyone trying to make the choice of a new life down under.

Good luck and health to you all,

Eric.

I think Phyllis switched from a parent visa to CPV in 2009, hence the rate would be £20,180 x 2.

I second your appreciation of Gill's posts, Eric, which have been a fantastic resource for us all.

Once we've all made the move, we need to similarly "migrate" to a different forum I think - the "getting established" type. There's a lot of intelligence to share to help smooth the transition and point out the pitfalls to avoid.

Best wishes

Steve

Found a link to this site while browsing other forums - (Poms in Adelaide and British Expats). :daydreaming:We've just started the long process to hopefully join our family in Adelaide. :biggrin:Our papers were sent off on 15th April and we have recently been debited for the first payment:yes: (still waiting for acknowledgement from Perth):SLEEP:

We're on a tracker with one person below us and looking forward to counting down the months. :cool:Lots of familiar names on here so should feel at home quite soon.

• 1 month later...

Hi other CPV applicants

We're new here, but not new to Australia.

We're Sydney-bound, and today (28.06.10) our bank account is $1705 lighter, and the PVC has taken its first bite in its efforts to bankrupt us (just joking) on our route to a type 173 and eventually 143 visa. This was exactly a week after our paperwork was delivered to Perth. Hopefully it's a good omen, as today is also our 41st wedding anniversary.

We feel a bit as if we're cheats on this thread, in fact, as we are many-times visitors to Australia (going back 45 years in Mike's case, to the time when Poms didn't need a visa or even a work permit to walk into Oz and start work the next day!). Then we spent 18 months in Sydney in the '80s as a family, while I did some work for Reader's Digest books. (I'm an editor/writer, now more or less retired.)

Now our only close family – daughter, son-in-law and 2 g/children – live there, and we ourselves even own a 'unit' (having downsized our London home about five years ago to make this possible), and head down under on tourist visas each southern summer. But it's time to make it a bit more permanent while still healthy (we hope – meds are our only serious worry, so we may be seeking your advice at some point, Gollywobbler/Gill).

In fact it's got to the point where we have more Sydney friends than London ones (partly because many have moved from London to the country – you know, the place where they have cows and other four-legged beasts). So we know Sydney well – and other parts of Oz somewhat less well – and would be more than happy to share info that others might find useful.

What's completely new is the visa business – particularly the CPV type. Apart from in the '80s, we've only been involved with online tourist visas up to now. So now it gets expensive (in terms of both money and fingernails!).

Mike 'n' Sue

London NW3

Hi Folks,

Someone has already asked for this thread to be merged with this thread;

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-10.html

That thread has sticky status and will always be on the front page of Migration Issues and hopefully will not go the way of other CPV/Parent visa threads on PIO.:swoon:

If these threads do not get merged maybe post any new questions or comments on the Brand New Parents Visa Thread in the link above.

Just a suggestion. :notworthy:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest mollymoog

Keep posting in different areas...silly me I don't know how to use this site properly. So just hoping that if I keep posting in different places, someone will be able to advise me.

Paid the 2nd VAC of CPV the other day, now I dont want to go.

It's not as cut and dried as it sounds though.

Does anyone know if there is any chance of withdrawing and getting some of my money back...thought this might be possible as they have not made the decision to grant the visa yet.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Guest Gollywobbler
Keep posting in different areas...silly me I don't know how to use this site properly. So just hoping that if I keep posting in different places, someone will be able to advise me.

Paid the 2nd VAC of CPV the other day, now I dont want to go.

It's not as cut and dried as it sounds though.

Does anyone know if there is any chance of withdrawing and getting some of my money back...thought this might be possible as they have not made the decision to grant the visa yet.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Hi Molly

Please relax, hon!

I have replied to you on the sticky thread about Parents, which is here:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-52.html

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Folks,

Someone has already asked for this thread to be merged with this thread;

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-10.html

That thread has sticky status and will always be on the front page of Migration Issues and hopefully will not go the way of other CPV/Parent visa threads on PIO.:swoon:

If these threads do not get merged maybe post any new questions or comments on the Brand New Parents Visa Thread in the link above.

Just a suggestion. :notworthy:

Hi Les

I can't remember whether you were the person who suggested merging the threads or whether someone else did do, but it definitely was suggested. You are quite right about that.

I was going to merge them but then I became nervous about the idea. The problem is that when you merge two threads, I think all the posts appear in chronological order, so that if you merge two large threads you end up with a huge, bitty thread - which is very long and is also impossible to follow.

Indecision is the key to flexibility, as they say! So I dithered and did nothing.

I wonder about whether to close the two non-sticky threads that have both been revived today? I'm wondering whether that might be better than merging two, possibly three, threads?

What do you think, please? I'd be very interested to know what anybody else thinks as well.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Les

I can't remember whether you were the person who suggested merging the threads or whether someone else did do, but it definitely was suggested. You are quite right about that.

I was going to merge them but then I became nervous about the idea. The problem is that when you merge two threads, I think all the posts appear in chronological order, so that if you merge two large threads you end up with a huge, bitty thread - which is very long and is also impossible to follow.

Indecision is the key to flexibility, as they say! So I dithered and did nothing.

I wonder about whether to close the two non-sticky threads that have both been revived today? I'm wondering whether that might be better than merging two, possibly three, threads?

What do you think, please? I'd be very interested to know what anybody else thinks as well.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill

It is confusing – especially as the titles are so similar! Which is newer – "brand new" or "all new"?!!

I would vote for a merger – does the system allow you to post a redirecting message to those who log on to the closed thread, or to send alerts to everyone who has recently posted to that thread?

Mike

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Gill

It is confusing – especially as the titles are so similar! Which is newer – "brand new" or "all new"?!!

I would vote for a merger – does the system allow you to post a redirecting message to those who log on to the closed thread, or to send alerts to everyone who has recently posted to that thread?

Mike

Hi Mike

I think the notifications that contributors to a merged thread receive depend on the permissions that they have given in their user CPs.

I am nervous about the idea of trying to merge the threads on my own in case it looks awful and I then don't know how to undo it.

I will ask Rob (Site Admin) to have a look and to do whatever he thinks is best - he understands the forum software much better than I ever will, so I think it is safer to leave something like this to him. If he gets it wrong, he would know how to undo it.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Mike

I think the notifications that contributors to a merged thread receive depend on the permissions that they have given in their user CPs.

I am nervous about the idea of trying to merge the threads on my own in case it looks awful and I then don't know how to undo it.

I will ask Rob (Site Admin) to have a look and to do whatever he thinks is best - he understands the forum software much better than I ever will, so I think it is safer to leave something like this to him. If he gets it wrong, he would know how to undo it.

Cheers

Gill

Hello Gill

My opinion? Close the old non-stickies to new posts - much easier for everyone, after all, people just want to know where to go for the CPV thread, and they stumble across old ones if they search.

Cheers!

Steve

Hello Gill

My opinion? Close the old non-stickies to new posts - much easier for everyone, after all, people just want to know where to go for the CPV thread, and they stumble across old ones if they search.

Cheers!

Steve

Quite agree, putting a note on the end of each thread with a link has not worked. :no:

On the shipping and transport thread if someone uses a bad word ( names a bad company) they close the thread so if the best way forward is for one thread that is refreshed from time to time then get admin to close the other threads.

Gill seems to be spending more time shepherding posts on to here than answering them. :wink:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

After a discussion with Rob (Site Admin) we have decided to close this thread and the even older one started by Smiley Grandma at least two years ago!

We've decided not to merge the threads because if we did that, all the posts would go into the sticky thread in chronological order. The sticky thread would then become visually chaotic. It would also become huge in size, with the result that we would then have to split the sticky thread.

The sticky thread is quite recent and there is some really good, up to date, information on it, so I don't want to risk losing any of that information in order to split the sticky thread.

The link to the sticky thread is below:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread.html

All queries posted on the sticky thread will be answered, for sure.

Cheers

Gill

Archived