TRA & who gives the AQF3?

cobbler

I thought I was about to start my aqf3/certificate3 in shoe repairing soon, but now the rtim university in melbourne who have put together a list of requirements to gain the qualificaton (18 parts) some are not shoe repairing but shoe making. so I have never done 3 parts in 20 years as a repairer. when I looked at www.ntis.gov.au it says certain parts out of each section should be done. Would I have to go with rtim or can I go direct to ntis.gov.au and be assessed and where does TRA come into it? can anybody please help?

Guest Gollywobbler
I thought I was about to start my aqf3/certificate3 in shoe repairing soon, but now the rtim university in melbourne who have put together a list of requirements to gain the qualificaton (18 parts) some are not shoe repairing but shoe making. so I have never done 3 parts in 20 years as a repairer. when I looked at www.ntis.gov.au it says certain parts out of each section should be done. Would I have to go with rtim or can I go direct to ntis.gov.au and be assessed and where does TRA come into it? can anybody please help?

Hi Cobbler

The occupation on the SOL is Shoemaker:

Shoemaker 4943-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

The authoritative, detailed description of the occupation is here:

1220.0 - Australian Standard Classification of Occupations (ASCO) Second Edition, 1997

The AQF III assessment is designed to test whether you can do everything on the detailed ASCO List above.

A good description of the way the AQF III assessment process works is here:

Construction

RMIT seem to be making very heavy weather of everything any time anyone asks them about AQF III assessments. I don't think they understand that they do not have to teach the person the entire course from scratch first. If they do happen to be teaching the course, it does NOT have to be a CRICOS registered course and RMIT do NOT have to be a CRICOS approved Registered Training Organisation in order to be able to assess people for the AQF III either.

TRA come into it because once you have the AQF III, you then have to apply to TRA for a positive skills assessment under TRA's Pathway E:

http://www.workplace.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/FA0FD1E1-8B74-4C11-AFBB-2C159890FF80/0/UniformAssessmentCriteriaSeptember2007.pdf

Sections 8 & 12 in the UAC above are the ones which are relevant to you.

NTIS do not teach anything themselves as far as I know?

NTIS

Have you asked TAFE South Australia whether they can assess you for AQF III in this field? They run the only CRICOS approved training courses for Shoemakers:

Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students - Courses Search

Since they are teaching the AQF III & IV courses in Footwear I'd have thought that they are also the people most likely to be able to assess you for it. Have you or your agent asked them about the possibility?

If not, I would suggest that you deal with it yourself. It will be quicker than leaving it to an agent. The contact at TAFE SA is Peter Calvaresi. He is their International Marketing man, in charge of persuading overseas students to study at TAFE SA. His phone number & e-mail are:

(618) 8226 3335

calvaresi.peter@saugov.sa.gov.au

If you e-mail or phone Mr Calvaresi explaining what is needed, he will put you in touch with the person in charge of teaching Footwear Production for TAFE SA. Anybody teaching this course to international students knows exactly what TRA require because future skilled migration to Oz is the only reason why the International Student would be studying this subject in Oz in the first place.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived