5 weeks in brisbane

fairystar32

Hi all

thought i would give my families views.

i have also read many negative posts expecially about the food prices

i love this country so far, yes its very different from the uk but thats why we came if it was the same it wouldnt be much point.

the kids love it also, there nothing better after a day at school jumping in the pool, then bbq for tea ;-)

food here is great, some things more expensive some much cheaper depends what you buy but we personally have found meat very cheap, frozen stuff and chocolate/crisps very expensive and everything else pretty much the same, yes you can get bread for 50p!

the cars here are expensive as we need 7 seats but things like insurance etc.. much cheaper so swing in roundabouts really....

we have found people really friendly but dissapointed with the secondary schools, my son is very academic and was doing well in grammar, we have found the schools here have problem with fighting which we are just not used to ad shocked me although the junior schools seem ok.

weather was so hot when we arrived

we also have found a great rental with 4 beds and a pool, i was expecting sky high prices after posts on here but have found its not the case, the rentals here range from $400-$550 pr week and the $550 was a huge massive 4 bed i could only of dreamed of in the uk..... and its a nice area, very quiet and pretty not a crappy area , i have friends who have lived here for 18 years and told me those rental prices are normal.

so good luck to everyone on the way or trying, its really worth it.

natx

Hi, Great that you are enjoying it here, we love living here also.

You are right about the food as some stuff is cheaper some stuff more expensive, I think the key is not to buy all your week shopping in the supermarket as that would work out expensive, here you really are better of using the butchers, greengrocers and discount chemists!

Totally agree with the car prices, they are high particularly for used cars.

We have been very fortunate my sons school has been great and no trouble there!

Rent well to be honest I think $550 is alot of money, I know what you mean abt you get a big house and pool etc... but that is like paying £550.00 a week rent in the UK. You have to be earning a fair few dollars to be able to pay that sort of rent. I have seen recently though that the rent prices seem to be coming down abit by say $20.00 a week which is good to see as we are due to move out of here in July.

We also love Brisbane and in the end settled on the Sunshine Coast, which we adore.

Wishing you all the very best and

Enjoy your new life down under:wubclub:

Guest Ferne

I totally agree with you - apart from the secondary school bit as mine is only still at junior. I read a few threads the other day from people being really extremely negative about Australia, I almost posted "when are you leaving then!". Of course the locals/workmates will be "off" with you if you do nothing but complain about their home country. We arrived mid January and so far we love just about everything here. All that matters to us is that we are a very happy family with our new life here and I'm sure it will just keep getting better and better.

Happy days for us all!!!!:biggrin:

Hi all

i love this country so far, yes its very different from the uk but thats why we came if it was the same it wouldnt be much point.

the kids love it also, there nothing better after a day at school jumping in the pool, then bbq for tea ;-)

food here is great, some things more expensive some much cheaper depends what you buy but we personally have found meat very cheap, frozen stuff and chocolate/crisps very expensive and everything else pretty much the same, yes you can get bread for 50p!

the cars here are expensive as we need 7 seats but things like insurance etc.. much cheaper so swing in roundabouts really....

we have found people really friendly but dissapointed with the secondary schools, my son is very academic and was doing well in grammar, we have found the schools here have problem with fighting which we are just not used to ad shocked me although the junior schools seem ok.

we also have found a great rental with 4 beds and a pool, i was expecting sky high prices after posts on here but have found its not the case, the rentals here range from $400-$550 pr week and the $550 was a huge massive 4 bed i could only of dreamed of in the uk..... and its a nice area, very quiet and pretty not a crappy area , i have friends who have lived here for 18 years and told me those rental prices are normal.

natx

good honest post nat it is all swings and roundabouts.....but it is nice to come home have a swim and a barbie...better than been stuck inside LOL

thanks

our rental is $450 so like paying £225 a week more than my mortgage at home but i am renting my smallish 3 bed at home for £600 pr mth, here i have got a 4 bed huge with pool and double garage for aqround £900 a mth, well worth it....

cannot understand all the moaning posts, we chose to come so no point being negative, its an adventure and if you dont like it leave in my opinion.

yes better than being stuck inside, the kids look so happy here :-), i am so glad we came...

it may not always be perfect but where is?

just need to make some friends now

natxx

Guest snow white

great post nat pleasure to read all the best for your new life in oz long may the barbies sun and pool continue

lesley x

thanks

our rental is $450 so like paying £225 a week more than my mortgage at home but i am renting my smallish 3 bed at home for £600 pr mth, here i have got a 4 bed huge with pool and double garage for aqround £900 a mth, well worth it....

cannot understand all the moaning posts, we chose to come so no point being negative, its an adventure and if you dont like it leave in my opinion.

yes better than being stuck inside, the kids look so happy here :-), i am so glad we came...

it may not always be perfect but where is?

just need to make some friends now

natxx

Hi Nat, I dont think everyone is 'negative' , there are some things that are more expensive here and saying that they are more expensive isnt being negative it's just been truthful.

I understand what you are saying about the $440.00 and that in UK that converts to approx £225.00 - when your holidaying then thats the way to look at it, but when your living here and earning the Aussie Dollar I dont think you can look at it that way. I look at it that every $1.00 is $1.00 not approx 50p - Hope that makes sense:wacko:

I'm not being negative just being realistic

Anyway it's a lovely place to live and no regrets

Hi Nat, I dont think everyone is 'negative' , there are some things that are more expensive here and saying that they are more expensive isnt being negative it's just been truthful.

I understand what you are saying about the $440.00 and that in UK that converts to approx £225.00 - when your holidaying then thats the way to look at it, but when your living here and earning the Aussie Dollar I dont think you can look at it that way. I look at it that every $1.00 is $1.00 not approx 50p - Hope that makes sense:wacko:

"Rent well to be honest I think $550 is alot of money, I know what you mean abt you get a bg house and pool etc... but that is like paying £550.00 a week rent in the UK."

Out of interest, why do you equate $550 to 550 pounds? The salaries are not usually $ to pound equal...

hi

thanks

i transfer it to pounds as i know what i lived on in pounds and what we could afford or not and how much extras we could have and my hubbys wages are more here, so knowing what i spend in the early days i will know i will have some left at the end of the month.if you understand what i wrote lol!!

i know i will eventually stop converting but at the mo its a uselful tool as our wages are more here.

so i have converted everything and know exactly where i am upto money wise.

we are lucky though my hubbbys wages are the same as mine and his at home.

natx

Hi all

natx

hey thanks for that. Do you mind if I ask what area of Brisbane you are living in? Just so i can get an idea of the rental prices. We had actually thought 450 $ per week for 4 bedroom, so thats reassuring to know.

"Rent well to be honest I think $550 is alot of money, I know what you mean abt you get a bg house and pool etc... but that is like paying £550.00 a week rent in the UK."

Out of interest, why do you equate $550 to 550 pounds? The salaries are not usually $ to pound equal...

I know what I meant and I think Nat did too. OK if something cost lets say that $550.00 I dont think to myself thats £225.00 so thats cheap by uk standards. What I think to myself is thats $550.00 thats alot of money !!!! I dont convert back to the pound. One dollar to me now is worth one dollar not 50p

I don't think i've explained that very well, but hope you get it:wacko:

I know what I meant and I think Nat did too. OK if something cost lets say that $550.00 I dont think to myself thats £225.00 so thats cheap by uk standards. What I think to myself is thats $550.00 thats alot of money !!!! I dont convert back to the pound. One dollar to me now is worth one dollar not 50p

I don't think i've explained that very well, but hope you get it:wacko:

Well maybe I get it :biggrin:

You are trying to live in the currency you live in rather than trying to convert back.

I just didn't get why you thought paying $550 was like paying 550 pounds back in the UK:

"Rent well to be honest I think $550 is alot of money, I know what you mean abt you get a big house and pool etc... but that is like paying £550.00 a week rent in the UK. "

To me, this is a situation where you should be converting back, when you are trying to equate whether something is expensive compared to the UK. But whatever, as long as you all are happy who am I to complicate it :)

hey thanks for that. Do you mind if I ask what area of Brisbane you are living in? Just so i can get an idea of the rental prices. We had actually thought 450 $ per week for 4 bedroom, so thats reassuring to know.

hi we live in parkinson near algester, about 45 mins from the city, very beautifulplace.

natx

Archived