Bricklayer needs answers

Guest the pearcys

Guest the pearcys

Please help !

Myself and family are at the beginning of the skills ass process

I would really like to here off of anybody who has gospel knowledge about current situation in perth for bricklayers.

how much work,wages,etc,etc

Guest birdie919

gospel here it is,hope your ready,but i wish id had this info.im a bricky aged 44 and have been here since dec 14th i was apprenticed from school so ive been at it a while and know my trade alright.top line ..... the money! working for a subbie $300 a day max (£120) and grafting your nuts off in the heat:wacko: from 6:30.its all different too birckes are bigger gauge blocksnare usually maxis (like the terrcota in germany/europe) and shittte muck from a MIXER:arghh: IF YOU GET YOUR OWN WORK ITS USUALLY BLOODY MILES AWAY and you will have to spend about £2000 pounds on gear to get set up.i was part of a small gang in brum and we genrally made £150-£200 a day with an easy monday and half day friday so this is painfull:policeman: sorry but i live 2 kms from the beach and my daughter and misses are loving it ce le vie ohh and deisel is cheap......wow

Pearcy's

I was kindly given an email address by someone on this site, so I contacted this guy in Perth (believe he is a subby). See below his response to me;

> For all practical purposes it is not necessary for your man to have

> his certificate. As an employer I would know immediately if some one

> is skilled in bricklaying or not. However it may be a different story

> at the embassy.

> I am not familiar with qualifications in UK. In Perth bricklaying is

> not a certificate trade but it is coming in.

> As for the pay rates. Ball park figure is AU$200.00 a ay most good

> brickies get more than that. It is dependant on the skill level of the

> individual.

> Though my team is not working on saturdays for miriad of reasons, yes

> there is work on weekends.

My hubby earns £140 per day here, so it is a big difference. Although money isn't everything, it is important to be able to live! We are still weighing up the options!

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Sam

Guest Gollywobbler

HI all

I've read exactly what Birdie is saying before, on different forums and not written by Birdie. I think it is probably OK when someone is the contractor rather than the sub-contracted or employed bricklayer.

There was one thread where someone was dreaming about $1.50 a brick, only to be told that the going rate is more like 95 cents per brick.

I've just done a search of the forums using "bricklayer" as the keyword. 3 pages of links came up. Click on the Search button at the top. Select "Advanced search." Tell it to search in all open forums because the material is dotted around.

If you do a similar search on www.britishexpats.com you'll probably get more information than you know what to do with.

Hope this helps.

Gill

Guest gooner

Hi,

I think the first guy got it about right. I am a chippy and I would say the same applies for me.

If you are self-employed and doing well in the UK, prepare yourself for a big shock and a cut in wages.

Archived