applying for jobs(when)

:chatterbox:hi all.

first post on the site so go easy on me!we have our visa(175)metal machinist first class.we started nov 2007 and received visa jan 2009.

we are going for it oct 2009 ,should i start applying for jobs 6 weeks before or is it better to wait till i'm there?

thanx for any advice.:spinny:

could someone tell me what the crack is with earleswood?????????????

Guest snow white

now no one can explain earlswood he is a one off lol,

as for applying for jobs the likely hood is you wont get much of a response until you are actually here in oz hope this helps you could get in touch with the job advertisers nearer the time to let them know when you arrive etc

lelsey x

Guest John Sydney

One thing you should remember is that Australia shuts down for Summer holidays between Xmas and about the 1st February. Job hiring then starts about the middle of February. So if your going in October you will have until about end of November to get a job or you will have to wait to february

Guest fatpom
One thing you should remember is that Australia shuts down for Summer holidays between Xmas and about the 1st February. Job hiring then starts about the middle of February. So if your going in October you will have until about end of November to get a job or you will have to wait to february

You're absolutely right John. This is a piece of crucially important advice which seems to get completely ignored???

Arriving in October is a big mistake unless you've got enough to last for 3-4 months .

The best advice I got was don't arrive between Sept and Feb.

I have to agree the job market really slows down between Nov and Feb, it actually seems to stop from about mid Dec until mid Jan. Think of it like UK in July and August/Sept

We arrived in Sept, hubby got a job in Oct, they shut down about 19th Dec until 11th Jan but when he rang to confirm shifts they had laid off all the casual workers and a complete shift of permanent staff.

It has taken him until this week to get a full time job and he has been in and out of work since 1st week of Feb.

IF you can get a job before you get here I would try, sign up with SEEK, Mycareer, Careerone and any other sites you can find. It is suprising how often people get jobs following and phone interview.

Good luck with your move

Karen

Archived