on our way to melbourne

Guest kaz

hi, we have just found this site.

me, hubby and 2 children are hoping to be in melbourne by easter. we are hoping to go to mornington peninsula. anybody have any info?

also we are not sure about whether to take our furniture or rebuy everything when we get there. any suggestions?

Guest JohnKelly

G'day Kaz, the Mornington Peninsula is a lovely area and is a mixture of rural and sideside scenery.

I belong to other UK/Irish/Australia Websites, that have been established for those who are in the process of moving to Australia.

The general opinion of those who have just arrived in Australia from the UK is;

Take everything with you, including garden tools, lawn mower, wheel barrow etc. because not only is it more economical, it is also important during the settling in period to have familar things around you.

Best wishes.

• 4 years later...
Guest Les & Woz

me, hubby and 2 children are hoping to be in melbourne by easter. we are hoping to go to mornington peninsula. anybody have any info?

also we are not sure about whether to take our furniture or rebuy everything when we get there. any suggestions?

Hi We are leaving UK on 30 Jan. We are also hoping to live on the peninsula somewhere. All advice we have had is take what you can it's cheaper than buying it all again. We have 20ft container and can get most things in. Not taking every item from the house just the things we want, i.e settee, bed, dining table and chairs, all kitchen, clothes, shoes, tools, etc.

Good luck!

Les & Warren

Hi Kaz. Did you see on channel 4 A Place in the Sun Down Under? You can still see it on your PC at channel 4 od. It was initially aired last January but was shown again just the other day (episode 1). I think it was set in the Mornington peninsula. If you check it out, it might give you some ideas. Catherine

There are plenty of members on PIO living in and around Mornington, so i'm sure they will chip in soon with advice.

My advice on what to take is to take everything that fits in a container. Its not expensive to buy here, but shipping your own stuff if its still good, is always going to be the cheaper option.

If it arrives and you find that you have stuff you dont need, just have a garage sale. The Aussies love a good garage sale.

well my flight is booked to join hubby in melbourne on 23rd jan and shippers are coming in 18th 19th and 20th of jan got to say when i made my itinerary list of how much to replace items i was astounded xxx worth checking out shipping and i agree with above you can always sell it if any item not right in your next property

good luck carole x

Guest juliemtaylor

Carole, we are just about to start that list!! did you use your own or the shippers? The AQUIS form is yuk! list items made of wood?? havin a laugh! I like the items of quarantine concern - practically everything!

Julie x

Guest hillfamily
Carole, we are just about to start that list!! did you use your own or the shippers? The AQUIS form is yuk! list items made of wood?? havin a laugh! I like the items of quarantine concern - practically everything!

Julie x

Hi,

We have finally received all of our shipment from New Zealand on Saturday. Goods arrived into the country on 17/12/09!!

A few words of advice - check all your Christmas decorations for pine cones, grass, seeds etc, they are very hot on these things at the moment. Out of our 40ft container nearly half was inspected by AQUIS. The things that passed inspection included mountain bikes, lawnmower, golf clubs, BBQ, tent, camping gear and garden pots and lots of wooden furniture including antique chair.

We only had three Christmas decorations and a framed swimming pool pulled out for cleaning. Just waiting to see what the costs are. Will let you know.

Good tip for bike tyres is to clean them and then paint the tyres with car wheel shine liquid, it makes the tyres look like brand new!

Hope this helps

Archived