Is it hard to find a rental property?

Guest Gough-Ray's

Guest Gough-Ray's

Me and the hubby are moving to Aus in May, starting in Sydney then having a look at Brisbane. I've read on one of the sites (although for the life of me I can't find it again now!) that it is done on a points system and if you take a 'credit reference' with you, that will assist in you qualifying to rent a property.

I've asked two banks that I deal with and they both say the same - it has to be applied for in writing by the person requiring the reference and this can't be issued to the customer. I very much doubt Mr Estate Agent in Aus will write to my bank asking for a reference and wait 3 weeks for a reply.......

Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Any advise greatfully received!

Thanks

Lynsey

Guest dwaldron

First I've heard of it. Normally you fill in an application form and a search is done on the National Tenants Database to see if you have previously wrecked a property or not paid rent. Some estate agents will charge you a week's rent as a fee for getting the property but some states (WA at least I think) have now outlawed the 'key money' fee.

Guest Nelson

You can take a credit report from a credit reference agency, Experian, for instance. We got a letter of recommendation from our Bank Manager and also some personal references from professional friends.

We found it very easy to rent a property and had the keys with all serices connected within days of deciding which one we wanted.

It may be useful for you to know that we also haggled on the rent and got 10% a week off! :wink:

Hiya as we didnt havea rental refernce i just provided a copy of bank statement so they knew we had some cash ,copys of old utility bills where it shows amount recieved ,a letter off hubbys boss who has known us years saying we were trustworthy and honest etc ,also handed in copys of passports and driving licence and the last thing was i offered a gfew months rent up front,,it did the trick and we got the house but rentals are becoming increasingly difficult to get in and around Brisbane due to the population boom ,we waited 4 weeks for this one ,,good luck with everything

Cal x

Guest JoanneHattersley
Me and the hubby are moving to Aus in May' date=' starting in Sydney then having a look at Brisbane. I've read on one of the sites (although for the life of me I can't find it again now!) that it is done on a points system and if you take a 'credit reference' with you, that will assist in you qualifying to rent a property.

I've asked two banks that I deal with and they both say the same - it has to be applied for in writing by the person requiring the reference and this can't be issued to the customer. I very much doubt Mr Estate Agent in Aus will write to my bank asking for a reference and wait 3 weeks for a reply.......

Can anyone shed any light on this subject. Any advise greatfully received!

Thanks

Lynsey[/quote']

1st I have heard of that! All we did when we rented was fill in the application and that was it. The following day we had a phone call to say you can have the property!

Brisbane is lovely. We rented at http://www.centenaryquays.com.au and found the prices ok. It was $350 per week for a 3 bed townhouse rental in a gated community PLUS it was riverside with own access to river. If you get to Brissie look us up

Archived