Moving to newcastle

pdr222

Hi i'm Pam and i'm married with 2 boys a 2 year old and a 5 year old. We were granted our skilled indepentdant visa finally in Dec on my husband being a mechanic, and are flying out on 27th april to Newcastle NSW. My husband still needs to get a job and we're hoping he can get some interviews for when we get out there. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get jobs before we get there.

any advice appreciated

Pam

Guest littlesarah

Hi Pam

I've been using the internet to look for work - including registering with a couple of agencies.

There may be some job-specific forums or employment sites, or you could even try to search the local papers online. Or maybe try searching for garages, & then email his CV perhaps? Make sure he states explicitly that he has an independent migration visa, and therefore doesn't need sponsorship. I've found that potential employers aren't so interested in people who need sponsorship in order to work.

I think it's possibly a wee bit trickier for trades than people in niche occupations (which I am) - but if he's a good mechanic I can think of a few people on Central Coast who might want his services!

Good luck to you - hope it all goes smoothly.

Sarah x

heres one from todays local paper

Motor mechanic- are u well presented ith an eye for detail?This established workshop in lake maqurie might just be for you. 5 and 1/2 days per week preferably with regan inspection certificate and electrical knowledge must own liscence and have transport. Resume too autoisus@bigpond.com

Congratulations on the visa ! It is very hard to secure a job before you arrive,we kept an eye on seek and other job sites and made a note of any companys advertising for mechanics, we also scrolled the White Pages and made a list of garages in and around the area we were looking to settle. On arrival hubby had a drive around with his cv and walked into all the places on our list, he ended up with a choice of jobs and picked the one he thought he'd like the most. Got to be worth a try.

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Archived