taking the car/bike with you

Ratchet

Anyone taken their uk vehicle with them to Oz?

Ived just got a quote to take the house contents plus the two motorbikes £3500. without the bikes £3300. So for £200 im seriously thinking of taking the motorbikes with us. just had a look at the customs site but cant make head or tail of it.:frown:

Anyone done this??

Guest The Pom Queen
I should ask too, is £3500 good for a container of house furniture? I have nothing to compare it too. What do you think?

Yes it does seem to be the average for a 20ft container.:yes:

Ived just got a quote to take the house contents plus the two motorbikes £3500. without the bikes £3300. So for £200 im seriously thinking of taking the motorbikes with us. just had a look at the customs site but cant make head or tail of it.:frown:

Anyone done this??

Hi, My husbands motorbike is currently bobbing on the high seas on it's way to Melbourne. Like you it didn t effect the shipping cost too much & if you have a look at the cost of second hand bikes & cars over here it should make your mind up.

TPhe paperwork has been really simple so far, however when the bike arrives & customs & quarantine get involved who knows what will happen. It is due to arrive on 12 April so I'll let you know how we get on.

Jaq

Guest sexkit001

am so glad I found this thread.. my oh has a TT and wants to take his bike so this is encouraging knowing we wont pay a separate shipment charge, although I have heard that you need conversion when in Oz, anyone else know about this ? xx

Guest Becky8976

This is interesting as we have PSS coming on Friday to give us a quote for the house and possibly 2 cars and had no idea of prices!

Hi That sounds like a good price who was it with?

Brittania and so far they have been really good. Recieced a full pack full of information, DVD, allsorts. U can do a draft quote online too then they contact you with a price

importing a motor vehicle

I have found this website about moving vehicles to Oz. Paperwork involved........tsk. I was told by Britannia that it would be better to great the things on arrival at the docks so the custom guys know who they need to be dealing with.

Also.....The vehicle needs to be steam cleaned, not a spec of dust, else u'll get charged!

Anyone done this??

unfortunately I cant help with info regarding importing a bike, but if its only £200 extra, then you should do it. It can be a bit of hassle with paperwork, and make sure the bikes are spotless, but it will save you $$$$$ if you are prepared to follow it through. Also worth mentioning, spares are expensive here, so it might be worth going shopping for spares/mods and send them in the container as well.

If you look on British expats, there are a few threads regarding importing bikes into Oz.

This guy brought a heavily modified Yamaha warrior in recently from Puerto Rico and got everything sorted eventually. Heres a couple of threads regarding the subject :

She's finally here...(almost) - The Yamaha Road Star Warrior Forum

New to Brisbane...need parts to register beast in the country! - The Yamaha Road Star Warrior Forum

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, My husbands motorbike is currently bobbing on the high seas on it's way to Melbourne. Like you it didn t effect the shipping cost too much & if you have a look at the cost of second hand bikes & cars over here it should make your mind up.

TPhe paperwork has been really simple so far, however when the bike arrives & customs & quarantine get involved who knows what will happen. It is due to arrive on 12 April so I'll let you know how we get on.

Jaq

Hi, any chance you could give me an idea of the paperwork involved. ive found loads on the net, im sure whats needed and rapidly getting confused!!! LOL

Not long now til the bike's arrival!

Kelly.x

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kelly,

Sorry for taking ages to reply, I was hoping to have more info by now but sadly not.

Before we left the UK all we had to do was apply for a vehicle Import Approval which was easy. I scanned & e-mailed the V5c UK document, the receipt, & my husbands passport & sent $50 fee. The approval arrived to our Oz address about 2 weeks later & I did all this over Christmas so it was quite quick.

We had an admin problem as the UK V5 had the wrong model number on which made the approval have the wrong model number on but they were great sorting it out.

Our shipping container has docked but quarantine haven't worked their magic on it yet. I'll let you know what happens with that but my husband cleaned the bike till it was spotless so hopefully it won't need any more cleaning.

You do have to pay tax on it on arrival which seems to work out at 10% of the value plus a bit for AQIS & customs stuff. Chops bike was £1800 & the fee is $500.

I have been into Vic roads to find out about registering it & it needs a roadworthy certificate (MOT type of thing) & an engineers report to confirm it meet Oz road regulation. This hasn't been done yet but I'll let you know costs & how much it involved in faffing about.

Also you can get a 28 day permit to ride the bike to & from places to get it 1. from the storage to your home. 2. to the roadworthy test & home. 3. to the engineer for the VASS report & home 4. To VIC road for the registration & to get the plates put on it. I suspect the most direct route may not be taken as it is "very easy to get lost on your way somewhere if you are not familiar with where you are going" I would guess Chop's excuse will be!!

Once this is done we can register it & go play.

I will post again once it's all done & let you know what happens. If you have any questions feel free to get in touch. Not sure if you are coming to Victoria, all the road regs for the differennt states are different but everyone has been very helpful getting this sorted out. (A refreshing change from the UK LOL)

Cheers Jaq

Hi, any chance you could give me an idea of the paperwork involved. ive found loads on the net, im sure whats needed and rapidly getting confused!!! LOL

Not long now til the bike's arrival!

Kelly.x

Archived