Which Sydney Suburb for our Little Family??

Guest Nickynoonoo

Guest PosmMagic

OK, for any decent snob value there are really only 3 areas you should consider.

1 - Eastern Suburbs - Look at Bronte or Clovelly for fab public primary schools and lovely beaches. Vaucluse, Rose Bay, North Bondi and surrounding suburbs.

2- NorthShore - Northern Beaches are gorgeous but too far for a good daily commute to the CBD - Look at Mosman, Cremorne etc and upper North Shore like Lindfield, Pymble, Warrawee...

3- Inner Inner West, Balmain, Balmain East or Birchgrove are the cream of the crop.

Obviously there are other lovely areas, but lots of the areas listed above would see any self-professed snob running for her Mercedes screaming "Don't let anyone see me here darling!"

Sydney will suit you just fine - half the eastern suburbs won't even cross the bridge;-)

It's a bit like the North/South of the river thing in London.

• 2 months later...

Go northern beaches.

Manly - money, affluent, sometimes a little bit touristy

Harbord now known as Freshwater - north of manly, family freindly

Dee Why and collaroy also worth looking at.

Mona Vale is just too far to commute everyday to the CBD. Seriously, if driving you'd need to leave by 7am.

Guest Bob Tonnor

Pretty much the whole of the north shore in Sydney is pricey and the public transport is nothing to write home about, especially when your up on the peninsula. What i would say is theres not many suburbs out that way that couldnt be described as anything less than beautiful, so unless you turn up and spend a month or so driving round to make your mind up wheres best for you, your taking a stab. I lived in Sydney for seven years and i couldnt make my mind up! Take a look at locationlowdown.com you can find pretty much all the information your after, or need when deciding where you want to live.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have picked up some really useful advise by following the messages within this thread, thanks to you all. I have a lot of house hunting ahead of me!

can anyone recommend a nice suburb that is maybe 40 mins travel (public transport) from north Sydney and has both good primary and secondary schools?

I will be moving to Sydney with my work and I ave 3 kids 14, 12 and 10 (also my Husband) and we don't know where to begin looking! I'm not too much of a snob but i still don't want to be paying to much money to be renting.

any advise would be greatly appreciated

Guest elliebell

what kind of schools are you looking for ? if you are going to public schools then again you cant go wrong with hills area the highs chool cherrybrook tech and Pennant hills high are both excxellent(i teach at pennant hills) also castle hill high i believe is good. we use the public transport to the city every day but not sure about north sydney would imagine its good .rents are a bit higher than some areas because people want to live here, but cherrybrook west pennant hills castle hill pennant hills thornleigh, are all great ,beecroft and cheltenham are lovely but more expensive.just be very careful that you get the high school catchment area or you wont get in to the school, primary schools are all good round here , we love west pennant hills public school and most will happily take your youngest ,but high schools is a different matter .Pease feel free to pm me for contact number if you want to chat ...good luck. where are you based now?

Archived