Moved back to UK but have debt in Australia

Guest tyke2009

Guest tyke2009

Hi All,

I have recently moved back to the UK after living in Australia. I did accumilate some debt in Australia and i'm not able to keep up with the repayments due to lack of work in the current financial climate.

Does anyone know my legal situation with regards to this and can i be taken to court or forced to pay the debts in the UK?

Ps I do intend to pay the debt off eventually but i cannot see myself being in that position for some time.

Thanks

Tyke

what a tough time you are having!

i positive its the same as leaving debt here and going to oz they can chase you but can't enforce it if i was you i would give them a call tell them your situation you never know they may offer you some help or even reduce your debt.

good luck hope you get on your feet soon

Hi All,

I have recently moved back to the UK after living in Australia. I did accumilate some debt in Australia and i'm not able to keep up with the repayments due to lack of work in the current financial climate.

Does anyone know my legal situation with regards to this and can i be taken to court or forced to pay the debts in the UK?

Ps I do intend to pay the debt off eventually but i cannot see myself being in that position for some time.

Thanks

Tyke

Dont know but I think you are still in oz and testing the water if not why post in the uk you are gone dude no worries

Guest tyke2009

Hi Brammies,

Thanks for the advice much appreciated,

Yorks Pom,

I have indeed left Oz and i'm sitting here on a nice sunny afternoon in Barnsley as i write, I posted on this forum as it is hard to anyone on a UK forum in a similar situation

Cheers

Tyke

• 7 months later...
Guest ollie247

HAs anyone caught up with you yet from Oz then regarding the debts you left behind. We are off to the Uk soon. North east and may have to do the same thing although the plan is too kepp our bank accounts in oz and keep making the payments like we did in the UK when we 1st got here??

Interested to find out Tyke

If you have left Australia for good then think about accessing and claiming your Superannuation accounts. You pay a hefty tax on accessing them but if it clears a debt and keeps you sane then it may be worth it.

regards

Liam

• 2 months later...
Guest ollie247

I hi there, just read your post. Do you know of a way to claim back your super that your employers have paid in, we only have about 15k in there between me and the OH but they reckon that we can't claim it as we are permanent residents even though we are moving back to the UK in March for good, plus our permanent visa's will expire in 1 years time and we aren't going to get a resident return visa, so therfore how can we claim super when we mature when we no longer are allowed to live in the country. Any feedback on this would be much appreciated as what will happen to the funds if they don't refund it minus the heft tax??

Thanks for that!

you can use some of your super if you fall on hard times a girl i work with got divorced and he wasnt paying the mortgage as he should have been instead of child support , she was able to get her back mortgage and rates paid out of her super , it wasnt easy and required a bit of paper work but it can be done ,i think the total came to about seven and a half thousand that they paid out ,

i suppose you should email them and find out how they can help you

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there,

We were on a 457 visa so only temp, but learnt that if we had left for good we could claim back our super. I contacted each super fund and was sent a form to fill out. giving new address, copies of our visas, copies of our passport and stamp showing we had left the country. Apparently there is Billions of unclaimed super by overseas people.

Worth checking out, we were only there 3 years and had a mixture of work and travelling, and received 6000-8000 back!!! Cant remember the exact figure as I had to apply to about 4 differrent super funds. Was I a happy bunny.

I would think once you can prove you have left permanently. Definitely worth checking out.

Cheers Caz

Archived