Teaching in Queensland

Guest col&dee

Guest col&dee

Hi everyone,

I am a qualified Primary Teacher and am hoping to move to Brisbane within the next few months. I have had a look on Queensland Education Department website but was wondering if anyone has had any experience of finding teaching work in Brisbane? Is it possible to get registered before you get there? Is it really difficult to find a permanent teaching job, do you have to rely on casual work?

Thanks

Dee

Hi Dee

Im a primary school teacher too. I worked in some schools about half an hr from Brisbane when I was travelling around oz on a working holiday visa in 04. I registered with the Queensland board of teaching in the UK then registered with the Tracer system for Casual work when I arrived. Education Queensland provide you with the Tracer details. It was really good and quite a lot of work this way. I also went to Protocol supply agency in Brisbane itself, which works with the private schools. They were lovely but didnt get any work through them. I also sent letters with my CV attached to surrounding schools and the ones that were very near I personally went in and delivered my CV too them. I have heard that its quite difficult for pommy teachers to get perm jobs in Oz and you have to gain points before you are given a permanent job. I havent found any concrete info about this and I presume it differs from state to state.

We have just started our immi process, you must be fairly well on with it if your moving out in the next few months...very envious! We want to live on the Sunshine Coast if poss as OH has relatives in Brisbane. Where abouts are you wanting to live?

Its great to hear from another primary teacher!

Rachel

Guest col&dee

Hi Rachel,

Thanks so much for reply. We started visa process in August 2006, everything seems to have gone really quickly (much faster than we anticipated, not that I'm complaining!). We lodged visa on December 1st (136 skilled through my husband -he's an electrcian), and got a case officer on 1st March. Meanwhile we visited Australia at Christmas time and really loved Brisbane - we travelled about the Gold Coast a bit, but didn't get chance to go to Sunshine Coast. We are thinking of renting near centre of Brisbane to start with and take it from there! We've managed to get police checks,chest x-rays and medicals done and posted receipts and police checks to our Visa company this morning!

When you registered with Queensland board of teachers while in the UK did you do this through Queensland Education Dept website? Also, I'm from Scotland and we are never asked to make up CV's for posts here (the application forms are quite specific though)-did you use a certain template or just put it together to suit yourself?

Thanks again,

Dee

Hi Dee,

I just put the cv together myself but i'm sure i saw a thread on this website about oz style cv's -I'll have a look and see if I can find it! Our applications are specific too here and I didn't have to submit a CV either for my current job.

I printed off the application form from http://www.btr.qld.edu.au and sent it direct. This was in 2003 so you can probably submit your application online now. When I applied it was for provisional registration only due to being on a Working Hoilday Visa..you could only do Casual work.

What year do you teach?

Rachel

Guest col&dee

Thanks Rachel,

I've just had a look on the website that you suggested for the application form. It still has to be printed off, completed, evidence (degree, police checks) signed by JoP/Solicitor, etc and then posted (can't be completed online yet). It suggests that overseas applicants should allow 2/3 months for registration to be granted.

I'll probably be moving to Oz in August at the earliest so maybe still wait a few weeks to go ahead with this - at least I have an idea about what to do now thanks.

Just now I teach Primary 1 children (age 4 & 5), there's 27 of them so they keep me busy. I love the school I teach in and it will be hard leaving. What about you?

Thanks again,

Dee

Hiya Dee,

If you need any more info about the Queensland Teacher Reg stuff let me know as I have got all the 'stuff' they send you when registration is successful, it's quite a big pack!

I teach Year 1 (5/6) 30 of them! They are a real lively bunch with 24 boys!

Had a search for cvs on the search tab and found that most people have submitted a UK style CV and have had no problems. My employment history with regard to teaching isnt that vast -ive been teaching 6yrs. OH is a different story!!

Where abouts was your firework piccie taken under you name?! Is it Sydney? We saw New Year fireworks in Briz and they were grt!

Rachel

Guest col&dee

Hiya,

Yeah the firework piccie was taken at Sydney Harbour at New Year. It was really cool to be there. We met up with friends who moved to Sydney last April - they have never had a day's regret since movin over. Hope we settle as easy as they have. They knew a few people tho and we won't know anyone in Brissie. Were you in Brisbane at New Year 2007, we were in Gold Coast from 22-26 Dec 06. What's your OH's occupation, are you applying through him like we are?

Dee

Guest lynneand mark

Hi, I'm also a primary teacher moving out in August. Hope we are not competing for jobs!!!!! I am actually not going to work straight away as I have 2 kids to settle. I will be relying on my husband (electrician) to bring in some money! Thanks for all the info regarding registration, I will have to get all my certificates, references etc together soon. I suppose taking a set of certified copies with us would be a good idea for registration purposes. I was actually registered in 1995 when I did a bit of casual teaching when travelling, I wonder if that would still be valid?? Anyway thanks for all the advice and links. Good luck to you both, I will be looking forward to hearing how it goes. Lynne

Hi Lynne and Mark

My provisional reg only lasted for 12 months when I did casual teaching in Queensland. I was wondering if they still have all your details on file...seems pointless having to do everything again! I might email and ask! Where are you thinking of living in QLD?

Rachel

Hi Dee,

We were in Briz New Year 03/04...we went back for a hol last summer though which was grt. My other half is a landscape gardener. He has rels in Brisbane so we are applying through skilled (me) family sponsored(OH). We aren't married though so have lots of stat declarations to write, bills to find, friends to bribe to say how perfect a couple we are!!!

Sure it would be easier to nip down to the local registry office!!

Rachel

Guest lynneand mark

We really don't know where to live. May go up to the sunshine coast or down to the gold coast, depends on jobs,schools, houses......etc. Still haven't made the final choice between Perth and Brisbane but Brisbane is winning at the moment! Mark is going for a week next week to try and make the final decision -no pressure on him or anything! He is going to check out the jobs, suburbs, beaches, travelling times between places etc. I will dig out my old registration documents and contact the dept of Ed. I think but it was prob just a temp one!

Guest col&dee
Hi, I'm also a primary teacher moving out in August. Hope we are not competing for jobs!!!!! I am actually not going to work straight away as I have 2 kids to settle. I will be relying on my husband (electrician) to bring in some money! Thanks for all the info regarding registration, I will have to get all my certificates, references etc together soon. I suppose taking a set of certified copies with us would be a good idea for registration purposes. I was actually registered in 1995 when I did a bit of casual teaching when travelling, I wonder if that would still be valid?? Anyway thanks for all the advice and links. Good luck to you both, I will be looking forward to hearing how it goes. Lynne

Hi Lynne,

Looks like it'll not only be both of us that are competing for jobs - my husband is an electrician too! Can you believe it? Hopefully that means we'll be able to help each other out with whatever happens along the way. We are just waiting for visa to come through probably bout 8 weeks or so so we haven't booked any flights yet - August is just an estimated time of arrival.

Dee

Guest col&dee

Hi Rachel,

We only got married in August last year (have been together for 14 years though!). As we hadn't been married for over a year we had to do all the stat decs as well. So sorry even if you dragged him to the registry office you would still have to go through with everyone disecting your relationship! We were also in Oz 03/04 but not in Brissie that time, we visited Sydney, Cairns and Perth.

Speak soon,

Dee

Guest zoe&david

Hi everyone

I'm also a primary teaching in a year3/4 class. We're are just about to send the visa application off for a skilled australian sponsored (sub class 138). I just noticed your comment about getting married last August. I also got married then. Could you tell me what stat decs you had to send and how you knew to send them as i thought if you were married you were okay. Glad i spotted this post. :confused:

Guest col&dee

Hi Zoe & David,

We are doing our visa through a visa company and were asked to provide the statutory declarations by them. At that point we thought everyone had to provide these but have only understood recently that we were probably only asked because our marriage was so recent. We were asked for declarations from friends and family. We hadn't told anyone about our plans yet so it was a bit of a shock and it forced us to tell some people before we were ready to.

Anyway we managed to get together statements from 5 different people and we also had to write one ourselves. Our visa is a skilled 136, I'm not sure if this makes any difference? I hope I am not causing you any needless worry.

Hope this helps - if not you should post a thread asking for advice from others (I'm not that genned up on the whole visa thing as an agent did lots of our work for us and we just did what they asked for).

Good luck.

Dee

Hi Rachel,

We only got married in August last year (have been together for 14 years though!). As we hadn't been married for over a year we had to do all the stat decs as well. So sorry even if you dragged him to the registry office you would still have to go through with everyone disecting your relationship! We were also in Oz 03/04 but not in Brissie that time, we visited Sydney, Cairns and Perth.

Speak soon,

Dee

Hi Dee,

We didnt manage to get to Perth when we travelled around ran out of money and time! My friend has now lived in Perth for over a year and after an initial wobbly start is loving life. Did spend time in Cairns although it was the wet season...spent most of our days in the huge lagoon! Did you go on the cable car up to Kuranda?

Im very excited about this whole immi process and the reality is sooo near for you, but sometimes the prospect of teaching in Oz gives me the major collywobbles! Im happy and confident in what I do here at home and worry I won't be able to achieve the same feelings and successes (is that spelt correctly?!) in Oz!

Rachel

We really don't know where to live. May go up to the sunshine coast or down to the gold coast, depends on jobs,schools, houses......etc. Still haven't made the final choice between Perth and Brisbane but Brisbane is winning at the moment! Mark is going for a week next week to try and make the final decision -no pressure on him or anything! He is going to check out the jobs, suburbs, beaches, travelling times between places etc. I will dig out my old registration documents and contact the dept of Ed. I think but it was prob just a temp one!

Hi Lynne,

We hope to move to sunshine coast, somewhere near Maroochydore/Mooloolaba/Coolum.

Glorious beaches! Bit of a water baby so have to be near the sea. We stayed at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast last summer to do a reci of areas we fancied, hence we came up with a really long list!! Your OH is timing it right going to Oz next week..escaping from this horrible weather! My friend lives in Perth and loves it there.

Rachel

Guest col&dee

Hi Rachel,

I feel exactly the same as you about teaching in Oz. I'm so comfortable in the school I'm in just now and can't imagine feeling so secure in a school in Oz. In a way it feels as if you're starting from scratch again, will have to ask so many questions to do the job successfully but not want to ask too many questions incase you sound as if you don't have a clue! Feeling really tired tonight so I apologise if I am not making sense. My head is spinning with too many unanswered questions but I know it's the same for all us PiO! Think it's time for me to go to the land of nod.

ps No, I didn't manage to go on cable car in Cairns. Have been on one in Queenstown,NZ (which was a breeze) and one in Singapore going to Sentosa Island which was scarier than jumping out of a plane at 15,000 ft!

G'night,

Dee

Hello ladies,

I am also a primary school teacher and me and hubbie are heading off to Melbourne later this year. As soon as my police checks come back I will be registering with the Victorian Education thingy! I am the skilled one for our 136 and have to say teaching in oz does seem a little scary, probably because they are so much more laid back. The curriculum seems better for the kids and focuses on them learning what they will enjoy as well as what they need to. I can't wait though!!!!

Hi Felicity,

Do you hace any ideas where to find info about the oz curriculum? Ive dabbled a little with the Key kearning areas but haven't found anything concrete..maybe a document to print off online or something?! When I did supply over in Oz I didnt really feel the need to delve into anything in great detail but now feel the need to know more! Even unsure about how they structure year grps! I taught in a school in Victoria and they had a 'Community Class' where y1 - y6 were integrated together! It worked really well though!

Any info really appreciated

Rachel

Archived