Driving Licence

Bod

Hi can drive on his British liscence, however if he's here for an extended perios of time i.e. > 6 months an international driving liscence is probably more advisable.

T

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi John,

Both the last two posters are correct and he can drive in Australia on his UK licence,but advise him that he should carry his passport with him while driving as well.

Hope he has a good time downunder.

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest snow white

is it the case while in oz on holiday you can drive on your uk license indefinitely or is there a time limit?

i know if you move to oz you can only drive on your uk licnese for 3 months then have to get an oz one

thanks

lesley x

Guest proud2beaussie
is it the case while in oz on holiday you can drive on your uk license indefinitely or is there a time limit?

i know if you move to oz you can only drive on your uk licnese for 3 months then have to get an oz one

thanks

lesley x

Hi Lesley,

Visitors and those on temporary visas like a 457 are actually allowed to drive indefinetely on their UK licence for as long as the visa remains valid,however once

someone has a PR visa then they must obtain an Australian licence within three months.

Guest proud2beaussie
Hi Nigel,

Do you know if the three month rule for PR visa kicks in if you just do a validation trip?

Cheers

x Jo

Hi Jo,

As far as I am aware it would only start from the date you actually become a resident,but look to be honest the chances of you getting into trouble for going over the three months are pretty slim,and even if you were stopped most traffic police I have had anything to do with have been very approachable so I really wouldn't be concerned anyway,the process of obtaining an Australian licence is very easy and there are plenty of threads here on PIO about it.

cheers

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually I just looked on the Vicroads website and it says this"

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa, you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence.

So I was wrong,and the rule will be the same in all states.

Archived