Australian citizenship

Hi again (my 2rd answer for you 2night lol)

My hubby emigrated to oz originally in 1994 and became a citizen 1997/1998 he still has his uk passport which you do not have to give up (just get renewed by sending to canberra) we have friends here who are elderly and have been here years and have not even bothered for citizenship and therefore only have their uk passport

Guest oz migration

HI Ya

From memory - as of 2002 (April) AU & UK governments agreed to allow dual nationality for its respected citizens without additinal paperwork.

Kind regards

Chris

Guest oz migration

Hi Gizmo

The change is for applying and criteria for AU citizenship. Once granted you dont have to relinquish or loose your British citizenship as of April 2002.

Kind regards

Chris

Hi oz migration, yes i was aware that you dint have to give up your uk citizenship, a friend of mine is now applying for her citizenship here in oz - she had an interview at a place the other day had to show a few documents and is now waiting -but she has been told that it could take 3 to 4 months as there currently is a back log.

Guest Gollywobbler

HI all

My sister has lived in Oz for about 26 years now and has held dual British/Australian Citizenship for about 20 years. She has two passports. She uses the British one to enter the UK and the Australian one to enter Australia. She makes enough trips back & forth to justify the cost of keeping two passports going - mainly in order to save time at the airports at both ends, and also so that she does not have to mess around with Resident Return Visas for Australia instead.

The rules for obtaining Australian Citizenship are expected to change from 1 July 2007. The Bill has been passed, so the only doubt now seems to be the Commencement Date.

For more info, please see here:

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/

Cheers

Gill

Archived