Melbourne Short Term Rentals

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The long term rental market is very tight at the moment in Melbourne and around 8 or 9 people turn up for the same property and put applications in.

When you first arrive over here, you will really need to book in to short term furnished accommodation for around 4 weeks until you find a rental.

Most people get a rental within 4 weeks of being here, although some people do require longer approx 6 weeks, it depends on how you recover from the jet lag, some people arrive and just want a weeks break before getting started. The reason we say 4 weeks is that from the properties that are available for rent, agents only open the properties up once a week (Open for Inspection) for a period of around 10 – 15 minutes during this time everyone who is interested in renting the property turns up and then if they like it they put their application in. Sometimes once you have put in an application you may not hear back for 1 or 2 weeks which means that 3 weeks is gone applying for just 1 property. We recommend people do not stop applying for rentals, keep going for all the properties you like, putting in an application is not legally binding until you are accepted and are asked to sign the contracts.

When choosing short term furnished accommodation most people have no idea of how much they should be paying per week.

Below I have done a quick guide to short term rental options in Melbourne and the costs involved. As some places go up and down in price according to season, I have based them all on one weeks accommodation starting from 1st April , based on a family of 4 (2A 2C)

Campsites

Most people would expect this to be their cheapest option, unfortunately this is not always true. There are a number of campsites located around Melbourne that offer cabins. Now Cabins are not 5 star accommodation, in fact some of them are no more than a shed on legs with no room to move especially when you have lots of luggage with you, but if you are desperate and you need somewhere for a week then I would recommend them.

Big 4 – Dandenong – $924

Big 4 – Frankston - $1003

Big 4 – Melbourne $1085

Hotels

I have quoted for a variety of hotels from 3 star to 5 star.

Holiday Inn – Flinders Street - $3080 (max 3 in a room so 2 rooms required at $1540) extra per day of $27.50 for valet parking.

Marriot Hotel - $1884 - $30 per day for car park.

Travelodge - $1043

Comfort Inn - $1050

Relocation Agents

These are a variety of properties offered by expats who have made the move themselves, they often come with free services.

Monbulk - $400 per week

Seaford – 4 bed – Free Car Hire for duration of stay $805

Carrum Downs – 2 bd – Free Airport Pick Up, Meet and Greet, Suburb Tours and Food Package $850

Mornington – 5 bed - $800

Berwick – 2 bed - $880 – Swimming pool and gym on complex

As you can see all the above are cheaper than staying on the campsites and some offer a saving of $100's on free services.

Apartments

Quest Apartments – Frankston - $1440

Quest Apartments – St Kilda - $1715

Dockland Apartment - $1595

Seacove – Mornington - $1500

Hostels

Melbourne Metro – Family 4 bed room - $940

Base Hostel – St Kilda – 8 bed dorm (sharing) $812

Cooee – St Kilda – 4 bed dorm $877.80

If anyone wants the websites for any of the above please let me know and i will be happy to pm them to you.

I hope this gives you all some idea of the short term rental market, obviously there will be places cheaper and other more expensive but it should give you a good guideline to work with.

Also another factor to take in to consideration is that the short term accommodation gets booked up quite quickly especially around the Australian Holidays.

Kate:wubclub:

Archived