Contributory Parent Visa

Guest randpm

Guest Ann H

Hi to all, this is my first post although have been reading threads for awhile. My inlaws have just submitted their cpv application lodgement date 25th May 07:spinny:It will be a bit of a wait to next step but at least they are in the queue! good luck to all you lovely people its worth it in the end, weve been here in Adelaide since Jan 04 and love it, im sure i will be asking you all some questions down the track.

regards to all love Ann x

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jo & John

If your Parents will become eligible for a Contributory Parent visa then firstly it confers Permanent Residence in Australia and secondly it costs a lot less than an Investor Retirement visa, which I think is the other one you have heard about.

Contributory Parent info is here:

Family - Visas & Immigration

and in Booklet 3 (Parent Migration) which is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1129.pdf

Info about the Investor retirement visa is here:

Investor Retirement (Subclass 405)

and on this thread:

405 Retirement Investor Visa - Topic Powered by eve community

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Jo & John

Thanks alot, this is all if we, get in and my mom and dad come out, and decide if my mom can stand the hot weather,enough to join us.

Hi everyone..... my wife and I are new to this forum idea...so we have applied for a parents visa on 1st Nov.2006 and wondered if anyone can give us any clues as to how long it is currently taking?

Hi, My wife and I applied for the CP 143 in May 2006, at the moment we are waiting for the approval. We had our meds a month ago and our AOS is being delt with as I write. I would expect that we will hear within a month or two.

Good luck with your application, are you using an agent or doing it all yourselves?

Guest OldiesRUs

Really hacked off as we made the decision that we were going to go in January. Unfortunately, the original agent we spoke to messed us around sooooo much that we have wasted 4 months - during which time of course, it means that we will miss the 1 July deadline when all the fees go up. Can't believe that they are putting CPV up by 7.6%! especially as the other visas are only going up by about 3%. Aren't they screwing we oldies enough already? End of whinge - don't want the Aussies reading this thinking they have another whinging Pom trying to get in.

So, because of the silly man we first contacted, who by the way, gave us a load of b***it about the visa only taking 6-9 months - it means that instead of us being there for this Christmas with our grandson, it will have to be next year. Never mind, we'll get there in the end.

Jean

Guest OldiesRUs

Really hacked off as we made the decision that we were going to go in January. Unfortunately, the original agent we spoke to messed us around sooooo much that we have wasted 4 months - during which time of course, it means that we will miss the 1 July deadline when all the fees go up. Can't believe that they are putting CPV up by 7.6%! especially as the other visas are only going up by about 3%. Aren't they screwing we oldies enough already?:arghh:

End of whinge - don't want the Aussies reading this thinking they have another whinging Pom trying to get in.

So, because of the silly man we first contacted, who by the way, gave us a load of b***it about the visa only taking 6-9 months - it means that instead of us being there for this Christmas with our grandson, it will have to be next year. Never mind, we'll get there in the end.:jiggy:

Jean

Guest OldiesRUs
Jean,

Not sure how it can take such a long time to assimilate a valid application ... can you not get the application in a courier bag to the Perth Offshore Processing Centre today?

Best regards.

It took so long because we were very patient with this man who did nothing, not even returning our emails - yes I know it was stupid, but because my husband had actually met him at one of these 'Do you want to migrate to Australia' days, he felt obliged to wait for him to contact us. :arghh:

In the end it was me who got totally fed up and contacted a really nice agency called Go Matilda:notworthy:

Jean

Guest OldiesRUs
It took so long because we were very patient with this man who did nothing, not even returning our emails - yes I know it was stupid, but because my husband had actually met him at one of these 'Do you want to migrate to Australia' days, he felt obliged to wait for him to contact us. :arghh:

In the end it was me who got totally fed up and contacted a really nice agency called Go Matilda:notworthy:

Jean

Update: Got home to find an email from the lovely Lorraine to say that our application could well be lodged before the deadline. Told you they were good.

It's happening at last. Tra-la-la-la!:wubclub:

Guest amygirl

Hi have just read your news re acceptance into Oz, well done. I am just starting the process, how long did your application for contrbutory parent take ? I am not sure which classification to go for, either "parent" or "contrbutory parent", rather depends on timescale. Do you by any chance know the name of the newspaper published in the U K for people thinking of emigrating ? I have seen it and know that it is published in Eastbourne but do not know the name. Hope you can help, thanks:huh:

Guest Gollywobbler
Jean,

Not sure how it can take such a long time to assimilate a valid application ... can you not get the application in a courier bag to the Perth Offshore Processing Centre today?

Best regards.

Hi Alan

I've just waded through the Migration Amendment Regulations 2007 (No. 4) which has now been published on ComLaw.

I'm guessing, and all those numbers make my head swim, but it looks like the 1st VAC for CP 143 applicants is going up to $1,390 and the 2nd VAC is going up to $31,555? I can't say I approached this scientifically! I just matched up the bits where the numbers tally.

I didn't see anything that looked like a change to the Bond but I'm not necessarily right about that either?

Are you able to confirm the new figures properly yet, please? Also, what is 60% and 40% of 31,555, please? My Maths is Nowhere Near good enough for serious number crunching of this kind, I'm sorry to say!:notworthy:

Many Thanks

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Jean

I'm keeping everything crossed for you that your application will get to Perth in time to beat the deadline. I agree with you about Lorraine, too. I'm a big fan of hers myself!

Cheers

Gill

Guest amygirl

Thanks for the info folks,hope it will be helpful. I am just starting the process and can`t believe how expensive it all is but I guess it will all be worth it in the end. I have been told that the process will take 12 to 15 months which is O K as I have to sort out my house here etc. Hope you manage to get out to Oz soon to be with your grandson. Whereabouts are you going ? I will be going to Coffs Harbour, north NSW.

Thanks once again, Gill

Guest OldiesRUs

Hi Gill

We will probably go to Victoria, the reason being is that we already have family there - Father/Sister-in-law and various nieces and nephews - and our younger son who is going to apply for PR Visa next year has said that he and girly will go to Melbourne as they prefer Mellybourne to Sydney. Other son and grandson are currently in Kiama in NSW - fabulous place, but property is a bit dearer there and it will be financially better for us in Victoria close to the rest of the family. Also, eldest boy and girly tend to get wanderlust quite a lot - year in Queensland, then back to NSW, then back up to Q - so we feel it would be better to settle near the rest of the family. But on the other hand.................oh I don't know!!!! At least I have a good while to make a decision

Jean

Hi Alan

I've just waded through the Migration Amendment Regulations 2007 (No. 4) which has now been published on ComLaw.

I'm guessing, and all those numbers make my head swim, but it looks like the 1st VAC for CP 143 applicants is going up to $1,390 and the 2nd VAC is going up to $31,555? I can't say I approached this scientifically! I just matched up the bits where the numbers tally.

I didn't see anything that looked like a change to the Bond but I'm not necessarily right about that either?

Are you able to confirm the new figures properly yet, please? Also, what is 60% and 40% of 31,555, please? My Maths is Nowhere Near good enough for serious number crunching of this kind, I'm sorry to say!:notworthy:

Many Thanks

Gill

Hello Gill. Sorry for the delay - I've been on holiday (Palm Cove on the Barrier Reef - I recommend!).

The new VACs are in revised DIAC booklet 990i and for CP visas are:

1st VAC (per application): A$1,390 (offshore) or A$2,060 (onshore, ie Aged CP);

2nd VAC - A$31,555 (permanent visa application, per parent) or A$18,935 (temporary visa application, per parent)

I'll look into the AoS position.

Best regards.

Having spoken with Centrelink and checked the Family Tax Benefit Part A income threshold for 2007/08 I can confirm that the new base level income threshold for an Assurance of Support (as from 01/07/2007) is A$41,318.

As has been the case for all AoS income threshold increases in the past, this has effect for all Centrelink appointments from this week onwards - ie the Assurer has to present tax assessment notices for the last two income tax years showing assessable income that exceeds the increased income threshold.

The News Article on the GM website will be amended accordingly to pick up the new base income amount.

Best regards.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Alan

Thank you for your most informative (as always) posts.

I read yesterday on the BE thread that DIAC have told you they currently have 2 years worth of CP visa applications in hand. This suggests that at least 7,000 people are currently in the queue for them, given that the available quota is currently 3,500 CP visas a year in total.

I know that in theory they can just keep upping the price plus make people wait longer, but surely the Policy people in Canberra must be chewing on what advice to give tthe Minister about the situation? Will they recommend increasing the quota, do you think?

Many thanks

Gill

Gill,

When I spoke to a chap at policy in Family Section, Canberra there appeared to be no recognition of a correlation between increasing numbers of skilled migrants and an increasing number of parents able and wanting to migrate to follow their children ... which I found quite surprising (and disappointing).

I'm not personally holding my breath at any increase in the number of available CP visa grants annually, particularly when that same chap advised:

"For your information, in 2002 the Australian Government Actuary (AGA) considered the tangible costs of the Australian Government programmes that were likely to be accessed directly by parent migrants. Statistics indicated that migrating parents and their sponsors in the Parent category contributed only 0.5 per cent of the estimated health and welfare costs with the remaining costs being borne by the Australian taxpayer. The AGA found that even the higher charges for the Contributory Parent category visas only contributed to the Australian Government recovering around 12 per cent of estimated costs, with the other 88 per cent borne by the Australian taxpayer."

I therefore expect the waiting time for CP visa applicants to increase ... unless a change of Government brings a change of emphasis within the migration program ...

Best regards.

Guest OldiesRUs

Gill and Alan

As usual you two come up with really helpful and reliable information. Thank you. It's just a shame that it is so depressing. Increased costs and increased waiting times.

Oh well, at this rate, at least it means that by the time that nice Mr Immigrtion man sends us our visa, I won't have to look for work as I will be retired.

Jean

Guest newnico

It strikes me that the UK government should really be paying a contribution to the Oz government for our future health costs, given that we've all paid in vast amounts over the years and never had a bean back (in my case). I'm inclined to sympathise with the Oz government's position on this and find them generous to let us join our children.

Not that this helps, it's just a grumpy comment provoked by being asked for yet more tax!

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill,

When I spoke to a chap at policy in Family Section, Canberra there appeared to be no recognition of a correlation between increasing numbers of skilled migrants and an increasing number of parents able and wanting to migrate to follow their children ... which I found quite surprising (and disappointing).

I'm not personally holding my breath at any increase in the number of available CP visa grants annually, particularly when that same chap advised:

"For your information, in 2002 the Australian Government Actuary (AGA) considered the tangible costs of the Australian Government programmes that were likely to be accessed directly by parent migrants. Statistics indicated that migrating parents and their sponsors in the Parent category contributed only 0.5 per cent of the estimated health and welfare costs with the remaining costs being borne by the Australian taxpayer. The AGA found that even the higher charges for the Contributory Parent category visas only contributed to the Australian Government recovering around 12 per cent of estimated costs, with the other 88 per cent borne by the Australian taxpayer."

I therefore expect the waiting time for CP visa applicants to increase ... unless a change of Government brings a change of emphasis within the migration program ...

Best regards.

Hi Alan

Thank you for this information. It is of great importance to two elderly couples who have become dear friends of mine. Neither of them can even apply for CP visas yet because their children have not got PR yet and have not been in Australia for long enough as yet either.

Since I was up late last night e-mailing a friend (I'm a hopeless typist so this takes me forever), I decided that I might just as well discover what the POPC say about this. A very helpful lady said she would put me through to the Deputy Manager. The call was duly transferred.

I was told that they don't know exactly how many people are caught up in this because they do not study the file closely until they are ready to start the final processing. The second lass said that they do know that they have over 5,000 CP files open at present. She said they don't know how many of these files involve more than one visa applicant.

I agree with Jean. What the guy in Canberra told you is nothing short of depressing but at least we now have a better idea of what the score is, I guess.

Thanks again

Gill

• 5 months later...

Maylasia eh? I don't think so, you would have to wear a full Muslum Ninja kit on and be smuggled out before all the PIO people would let you go!

No No Gill, you are way to valuable to be tapping keyboards in Asia. Sorry but that's my final decision, you will just have to stay and continue to be burdened by other peoples misery. You will also have to seek no cure for insomnia. We could however allow a slight increase in your wine intake!

LOL

Alan.

• 10 months later...
Guest amygirl

Hi All, At last seem to be getting somewhere-------first application in July 2007, received acknowledegeent August 2007,received request for medicals, police cert etc August 2008 plus assurance of support bond to be lodged, all this done by November 1st 2008. Received letter 11th November requesting 2ndVAC to be paid in to Perth by December 15th and notice that if visa is granted, need to be into Oz by September 15th 2009. It all now seems to be steaming ahead after waiting for a year after the initial paperwork submission.

Archived