Melbourne - Renting Process

jakc

I arrive on 24th Feb and have a few bookings sorted out for the first week.

I was wondering how the renting works in Melbourne.

Ive been getting bookings from domain and realestate websites and most have pre-arranged viewings where a bunch of people will turn up if they are interested.

So if im interested then what, do I fight people, do I put in a higher offer, what?

Would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

I suggest that every OFI you attend try and get an application form prior, get all your information together (bank statements, references) and once you have looked around the property and decided you like it then hand all your completed paperwork in. Some application forms will ask if you are willing to pay more per week and to be honest I would leave this box empty until you have looked around the property and seen how many more people are interested. If no one else turns up then offer less or the price they want. If 20 people turn up all wanting the property and yyou also feel that this is the one for you then put a higher figure down. If it doesn't have a space on the application form for this then make sure you mention to the agent that you are willing to offer more. I have had a client who fought off another 15 people just by offering $10 more per week. The others just didn't think to offer more.

Good luck and have a safe journey over.

Kate

Interesting - will quickly russle up some landlord references - I imagine we will be at a disadvantage being poms and not having local references, etc. Again, our 457 visa is electronic so not sure if we can show them much in the way of visa proof either - passport stamp i guess.

Also, ive set up an ANZ bank (still needs validating on arrival) but I assume you mean copies of statements showing how much money I have in there etc.

Wouldnt hurt to take along my employment contract either i guess.

Guest The Pom Queen

All they are bothered about is that you can afford the rent, so yes a bank statement and also if you are staying in short term accommodation when you arrive ask them for a reference. The employment contract will be another good thing to have copies of.

staying in a hostel for first few weeks so doubt that will do me any favours. Just printed contract and some references from uk landlords and job references as well might help. Thanks.

Bit worried about application forms - have only been in touch via email and most have fired me back group emails such as:

"OFI on xth Feb, hope to see you there"

no mention of forms.

Il l try and follow up with phone calls when I arrive (speaking of which, any recommendation on where to get an ozzy sim card and which network to go with, can i get pay as you go?)

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a look on the agents website, they sometimes have the forms available on there.

Yes you can get a PAYG sim or phone and sim here, most servos, supermarkets have them for sale. Virgin do a Nokia PAYG for $69 with free calls and text messages to other virgin users.

Archived