nursing- UK Vs Australia

miagalore

I posted this question on the Nurses thread but as I am a bit of a learner on here it got a bit lost!! :unsure: I have heard a few stories about nursing in australia a collegue has just returned from perth after 12 months of working in ENT and ITU. She says that they are way behind in clinical practice to us, and that practice is not really evidence based, more of a 'we have always done it this way' approach. I wanted to know what other nurses experiences were in comparison to the UK and also how much private and public hospitals differ to the NHS and one's in the UK. I would be very grateful for any experiences and thoughts.

Thanks !! :jiggy:

hi, i am in theatres and i will agree with your friend..when i first arrived i didnt know what had hit me as i had felt no 'culture shock' until i started work!

the practice where i am is very american in some ways and 1980's in others..it is very hard to explain....suffice to say i had to relaise that i had to work to live here and i wanted the lifestyle more.....and i got on with it. i keep telling myself that its not 'wrong' just 'different' and we have to adapt and change little bits at a time....:)

they get really fed up when you keep saying 'in the UK...'

but all in all i think its worth it

debbie

Guest Guest26012
hi, i am in theatres and i will agree with your friend..when i first arrived i didnt know what had hit me as i had felt no 'culture shock' until i started work!

the practice where i am is very american in some ways and 1980's in others..it is very hard to explain....suffice to say i had to relaise that i had to work to live here and i wanted the lifestyle more.....and i got on with it. i keep telling myself that its not 'wrong' just 'different' and we have to adapt and change little bits at a time....:)

they get really fed up when you keep saying 'in the UK...'

but all in all i think its worth it

debbie

Have to agree with you! Its hard to put your finger on why its so different? I like you, just do my work come home and forget about it! I work on a busy ward and whilst everyones lovely and helpful, somethings missing??? I have given up trying to work it out! Like my job but love the lifestyle it gives me more! :yes:

Hi Debbie

Just want to pick ya brain.I am a theatre nurse of 20 yrs coming out to oz june09 gunna start applying for jobs in brisbane. Where are you and what hospitals do ya recommend and whats the pay like sorry for so many questions xx

Guest the stanleys

Hi really interested in this one too. I have just got a job on a combined ITU / HDU as that is my background. It is in a private hospital. Are there many differences between the two sectors?? Is ITU nursing very different??

Thanks Karen xx

Thanks so much for your posts. It has certainly given me food for thought, like you say it is a job at the end of the day and you won't win many friends by implying our way is the only way. It would be interesting to experience how differently they do things. Sometimes in the UK you do still get treated as if you are just there to serve the DRs :notworthy:and hospital politics gets in the way of you trying to do a good job. It is a matter of weighing it all up and yes the payback is what you are gaining in lifestyle changes etc:jiggy:

Archived