jobs scarce??

Guest tryn67

Havent been on here for months now 2 posts in one day! Just been on another expat site read some very disturbing threads re no jobs and "dont bother coming". Is this true of the whole of oz? I am a nurse so feel fairly confident of getting work. My oh is an architect tho worked as a labourer for many years prior to going to uni. Can anyone advise please. Things are tight here with oh down to 3 days a week. We dont expect to be met at the airport by prospective employers and realise we will have a few weeks search but exactly how bad are things?

Hi I am in the uk at the moment but all my family are in oz...my brother inlaw was 7 months out of work having only just got another job after being made redundant...I think it might take a bit longer than a few weeks to find work...obviously they are alot of variables ie what you do where you are going to live etc etc.. its pretty tough everywhere...

Havent been on here for months now 2 posts in one day! Just been on another expat site read some very disturbing threads re no jobs and "dont bother coming". Is this true of the whole of oz? I am a nurse so feel fairly confident of getting work. My oh is an architect tho worked as a labourer for many years prior to going to uni. Can anyone advise please. Things are tight here with oh down to 3 days a week. We dont expect to be met at the airport by prospective employers and realise we will have a few weeks search but exactly how bad are things?

Well im not in oz yet,we validate in april but will probably hang on till the recession is petering out before we actually move, but anyway.....you will be laughing,wish i was a nurse!cant speak about architects but i would have thought he'd be ok, btw,im a bricky ,getting no days a week,lol!but yes it is getting very tight over there from all i read,good luck anyway

Cheers folks am thrilled to get areply at all! yes thank god for my job in nursing. my family emigrated to perth in the eighties so i trained there. came back here on a working holiday and just stayed. now 2 kids later and my family still in perth decided to head back. my hubby has emailed a few practices in perth and has had mixed response mostly its been not much doing one even said dont bother! have had a couple of positive replies but its very worrying as our plan to save for the next 6 months has gone arse ways with hubs work dropping to 3 days. its going to be an up hill struggle if he cant get work. am trying to remain positive tho. i am a citizen but hubby has got to validate visa by october!

Guest Celtic.H.

Hi Tryn,

It is tough here getting jobs at the moment, if you're a nurse you will be fine despite the health dept wanting to cut back, my wife is a nurse and she has just been offered 3 positions. We have been in Perth since last Sept, previously NSW, I have a degree in geology and a degree in surveying and I am struggling, when we moved here the papers were bursting as were the main jobsites, now it is not so good. Before they were happy to take someone on with little or no experience, now they want expereince and a lot of it. Apparently lot of mine guys coming back to town, I have taken to doing some evening courses in tax file preparation to see what occurs. A number of companies in my line of work have halted recruitment but still advertise. There are some low paid jobs around but if other half has a good education he may struggle because they know he wont hang around, I have started lieing on my cv and taken all my qualifications off to see if i get a better response.

Cheers.

Cheers for that Celtic H we are complete Celtic mixed bag me scottish hubby irish and my kids 7 snd 8 very welsh! Are you geologist? I lived in Perth for 12 years and have family there also friends one of whom is married to a geologist could make some enquiries if that would be any help for you. Thanks for your reply any suggestions on night classes my hubby could look at doing in next few months till we get there??

Archived