Bushfire Fundraiser

Bordy

This is a copy of a post from Gary in Britvics.

There was great support from PIO at last meet so hopefully a few can come along to this.

"I propose that we all get together on sunday the 1st of march at Mornington park,and hold a fundraising day,hopefully in conjunction with Poms in OZ.

I only have rough ideas just now,but what I would like to achieve is have some activities on that would give us the ability to raise some cash.

Ideas so far,all are open to debate (and please please please add to this list if you can think of anything.)

Sausage sizzle/BBQ or whatever you want to call it.My intentions is to phone around some places like Tasman Meats are try and get them to give up some burgers/snarlers for the cause.We can charge for individual items on the day,or so much per head and all you can eat.

Raffle - For a raffle we need prizes.I'm hoping that some of you out there with your own business,or others who have some clout in their line of work,could generate some of these.Even if you know some local shop owners who would be sympathetic to the cause and would like to contribute then that would be great.

Cheesy CD lucky dip - Ive put this one on the other post,and I reckon it would be a good laugh and generate some dosh aswell.Everyone gives up an unwanted,rarely played or down right embarrasing CD,wraps it with their BV name on it,and drops it into the lucky dip box.Its then $10 (or whatever) to pick a CD out of the box,and have a good laugh at other people's cheese.

Thats the three I have in mind.Maybe something for the kids like face painting would be good,or some kiddy game with a prize.

How about a friendly match of some sport,Britvics vs Poms in OZ ? Might be a great way to entice the PIO guys n gals to make it down.

Now,I cant and wouldnt want to even attempt to try and organise this myself.Any volunteers for a comittee of sorts ? We can then delegate the tasks out.

I really hope this is a success,how good would it be if we could hand over $ XXX to the appeal from the Brits living in Victoria ?

Just a last bit on the date,which ofcourse is open to debate aswell.I think we would need the time up to the first to get the above and whatever else you come up with organised.

So just like a normal BV meet,Bordy will pin this later on and stick your names down.Please,as much as you can,try and put off whatever you can on that day to attend.Stick on the news any night at six this week and you'll know how much these poor people need as much help as they can get."

Gary

Guest Hearne_Family

Sounds good, I would happily come along, I like the idea of PIO vs BV's Sports. I will have a think today and see if I can come up with any suggestions.

Terry

Guest sanders family

Hi we would love to be there and help on the fund raising event but we don't arrive till July.:sad: Hope you have a great day and raise lots of money for the bush fire, but if you are like us and can not help on this great idea of a fund raising event please donate to Australian red cross:idea:. Sorry to jump on the thread.

Guest The Pom Queen

Bordy and Gary

What a great idea and I am sure between both groups we can get enough people there to make a difference. Maybe there would be some way that even people who haven't arrived yet could purchase a raffle ticket.

Wonder if it would be worth contacting Rob at Dandenong, he may throw over a few pies/sausage etc.

Hi

Treats from Home (a shop you can get all manner of goodies from the UK - Galaxy Minstrel fix!) on Level 1 Collins 234, Collins Street, Melbourne have got back in touch with me and they are donating two hampers for the raffle. They were very keen to help out. They have a website if you want more info on what they sell.

I got in touch with them so it's only fair I mention their shop after their generous offer.

Vicky

Hi

We are in the smoky North in Epping - a bit scary how close the fires have come to us.

We will be making the journey down to Morningon on the 1st - can you tell me is Mornington Park the one at the beach end of town?

Happy to make a pile of Lamingtons to sell - when I was a kid in Geelong Lamington drives were all the rage to raise money for your school.

If anyone wants the receipe let me know.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

regards

Helen

PS Youngest daughter (18) wants to know if there will be anyone around that age group coming

Guest proud2beaussie
Hi

We are in the smoky North in Epping - a bit scary how close the fires have come to us.

We will be making the journey down to Morningon on the 1st - can you tell me is Mornington Park the one at the beach end of town?

Happy to make a pile of Lamingtons to sell - when I was a kid in Geelong Lamington drives were all the rage to raise money for your school.

If anyone wants the receipe let me know.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

regards

Helen

PS Youngest daughter (18) wants to know if there will be anyone around that age group coming

Yes Helen,

Mornington Park is at the beach end of Main Street,you can't miss it.

Good Luck with it,I wish I could make it but I will be in sydney on business unfortunately,I am sure it will be a great day.

Thanks for your community spirit.

N'OZ

Hi Guys

I'm Gary from Gary 'n' Wendy over at britvics.org,and I'm part of the team organising this fundraiser.

I am sure that the British community in Victoria,and the rest of Australia,have been deeply moved by the horrific events around Victoria since last Saturday.

It would be fantastic if as many of you as possible can attend the Mornington meet.I think we can mix a fun family day,with hopefully a good wedge of cash by the end of the day.

As Ive suggested over at BV,maybe a friendly game of football,cricket,or whatever between our two forums,would be a good laugh .

We have had some great raffle prizes coming in from business and individuals,which we are very grateful for.

Anyway,hope you can all come down.If you want to keep up with how things are going with this,take a look at the pinned section on britvics.Feel free to PM me.

Australia has given us a new life,it would be nice in troubled times to give something back.

Gary

Guest proud2beaussie

Congratulationd on your fantastic community minded spirit,Gary,very well done for organising it.

I hope it is a FANTASTIC day and you raise heaps of money for the victims of this tragedy.

Good onya mate,that's real true blue aussie spirit.

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest proud2beaussie

Can I please go a little off track here to post this media release,it's about the emergency services workers who have done so much to help in the last few days.

***** MEDIA RELEASE ****

10 February 2009

BLUEY DAY APPEAL SUPPORTING EMERGENCY SERVICE WORKERS AFFECTED BY VICTORIAN BUSHFIRES

In response to the Victorian Bushfire tragedy, the Bluey Day Foundation has set up a campaign to specifically raise money for the benefit of Emergency Service workers, many of whom are volunteers, who have lost personal property or who have been injured as a result of the fires.

Online donations to the Bluey Day 2009 Victorian Bushfire Appeal can be made at www.blueyday.net or by telephone on 1800 258 379.

Over the last 14 years the combined efforts of Emergency Service workers has helped us raise over $20 million for kids with cancer and other serious illnesses. Now, it's our turn to help them out in their time of need.

Cash donations over $2 are tax deductible and 100% of all monies raised will go directly to those workers in need. The Foundation will work in conjunction with the relevant authorities to ensure all money is distributed to the men and women who have lost so much trying to help the public.

The Bluey Day Foundation is a not-for-profit registered national charity that is run by a small team of volunteers.

Consumer Affairs Victoria has approved this campaign. http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cbav/...2574EC0006AB46

Inquiries: 1800 258 379 or enquiry@blueyday.net

Thanks Nigel.

I am sure it will be a fantastic day.I honestly think if you look at the events we have planned,it should be good fun while we raise.

Now we need your top "athletes" over here to get involved in the sports event.Suggestions for a sport are appreciated,and I'll put it out the Britvicers too.

In general,all I ask,is please,please,please give me an idea on how many of you can come down,just to make sure I can pester enough meat and raffle prizes out of potential contributors as possible.

Gary

hiya, sorry we wont be there but are still in the uk at the mo. Do not arrive until end of March, shame as we live in mornington!!!

few suggestions though as it is for families maybe things for kids which may only cost a dollar or two, like guess how many lollies in the jar, lucky dip for kids,cakes selling,tombola etc..

every little bit helps!!!

Well I've got a couple of Hampers from Treats from Home for some UK goodies http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/

The Art Factory is also donating some vouchers http://www.theartfactory.com.au so something for the kids - the mess can be made outside the house for a change. They have places in Malvern, Balwyn North, Essendon and Williamstown.

Still waiting to hear back from some other places as well.

What about a few classic parent and/or child events from old school days - the sack race, the egg & spoon race and the one where you get tied by the ankle to someone, normally pretty funny and easy to organise.

Well so far we have been promised

2 x Hampers Treats from Home http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/

vouchers for The Art Factory http://www.theartfactory.com.au

Family Ticket for City River Cruises http://www.cityrivercruises.com.au/

2 double passes for the Carlton Brew House tour http://www.carltonbrewhouse.com.au/Brewhouse.aspx

a bottle of Famous Grouse Scotch whisky - Thanks Bordy

a bottle or three - Thanks Missiemo

a weeks free pet boarding via Melbourne Pet Minders - Thanks Karo

Starting to shape up, still hoping for some more business to get back in touch and more suggestions or offers would be great.

Thanks - Vicky

Well so far we have been promised

2 x Hampers Treats from Home http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au/

vouchers for The Art Factory http://www.theartfactory.com.au

Family Ticket for City River Cruises http://www.cityrivercruises.com.au/

2 double passes for the Carlton Brew House tour http://www.carltonbrewhouse.com.au/Brewhouse.aspx

a bottle of Famous Grouse Scotch whisky - Thanks Bordy

a bottle or three - Thanks Missiemo

a weeks free pet boarding via Melbourne Pet Minders - Thanks Karo

Starting to shape up, still hoping for some more business to get back in touch and more suggestions or offers would be great.

Thanks - Vicky

A spa package from http://www.yoursanctuarydayspa.com.au/home in Brighton

Hi guys

I was away on holiday to the gold coast all of last week,so I havent had much chance to follow up on the fundraiser until now.

I would also like to extend my gratitude to Vicky for her marvelous raffle prizes,she has obviously been working really hard at this.

So were still looking for some of you guys for some sort of footie (round ball) kick about,maybe 5 a sides.Theres always cricket or any other grass sport you can come up with.One way or another it would be fun to get the our two sites together for some sort of sporting endevour.

I'll finalise the plans on both britvics and here on friday night.I hope as many of you as possible can turn out for a laugh and a bit of fund raising .

Gary

Guest proud2beaussie

Slightly off topic here but I had an email this morning from a friend who is an expat aussie working for a finance company in Boston,he and six of his workmates had a fund raising wine tasting and sale of Australian wines on Sunday last ,they managed to raise $50,000 USD !

Guest The Pom Queen
Slightly off topic here but I had an email this morning from a friend who is an expat aussie working for a finance company in Boston,he and six of his workmates had a fund raising wine tasting and sale of Australian wines on Sunday last ,they managed to raise $50,000 USD !

Thats a huge amount, well done to them!!

Guest proud2beaussie
Thats a huge amount, well done to them!!

Sure is,mind you if I know Dominic he probably bought about $3000.00 worth of wine himself ! :yes:

Guest ashmalog

Hi there

we won't be over just yet - still waiting for house to sell but i like the idea of non-residents buying a raffle ticket from this end. couldn't we do it through paypal? most people have an account or can set one up easily. what do you think? i for one would like to buy some.

Archived