jobs and careers

Guest TONYL

Guest michele'n'michael

Hi my hubbys a roofer2. I've sked this question but no-one seems to reply ! I'v e been told lots of roofs are rolled tin but he's a slater felter & tiler! Not much call 4 tin roofs in the North East of E!!

Hi Michele N Michael, we are the Smith tribe aka Dan and Lynsey. We are new to the forum and l am afraid to say hooked! We are really just starting on the whole rollercoaster ride that is called 'emigrating'. Just thought l would say hi especially as my husband too is a roofer and tiler. I've been told there is a shortage but what type of roofing is beyond me. Dan has been on a couple of sites and seems to think the tiles look pretty similiar, as for me l am completely in the dark. How far are you into the process? Have you had any thoughts on location and job etc. Lynsey and Dan

Guest michele'n'michael

Hi thanx for your reply! We have just recieved the format for declarations of employment history from our agent "the visa bureau". God it's enough to put you off!! Michael has to go back 27 years giving a detailed progress plan of his apprenticeship. He can't even remember last week(I can say this cos he never goes on the pc!!) They want to know approx pay etc & this is from month 2 month not year to year!!

Anyway we'll plod on & whats meant to be is meant to be. Isn't this site so helpful you can view all your fears. I'm just wonderin' if anyone feels" I earn good money, have a nice house the kids are settled at school, but theres more to life than this, this can't be my destiny! BUT what will I feel like if my life is a financial struggle in Oz, I come back home & settle for a crappy job , a smaller house cos I've blown all the savings tryin' to live the dream!" mind the other side of my dilemma is If we don't try I'll always be wonderin'!!

Anyway you asked where we fancied; the suburbs of Brisbane maybe(ideally) 30-40 mins drive from the city, 5-10 mind from the beach. We live near the beach now but 25 mins drive from Newcastle, in a smallish town so that in Oz would be gr8!!Mind without th vandalism, crime etc etc. We're hopin if we pass the skills criteria to go to Oz for Xmas & N.Yr, have a scout around for future reference & Michaels hopin to do a bit of sussing out the jobs! Speak soon Michele x

Guest TONYL

hi michelle tonyl here i am a slater and tiler 28 years i had to put down the first 6 years of employment plus all the details of our profession like setting the roof out to spec also tell micheal dont wory a good agent will get you thru if he needs out then reply

Hi Tonyl

My hubby is not a roofer but in the construction industry and i asked him told ask about

here in NSW a roofer who is on the books get approx $1000 - he has also been told that self employed is around $1600 - $1700 to be self employed roofer you have to have a company name, fully licensed, fully insured, also have to pay workcover which is around 9% of your weekly earnings - 40% of the roofs are tin (colourbond roofing) and the rest is tiles.

Hope this helps a little

gizmo

Guest michele'n'michael
Hi Tonyl

My hubby is not a roofer but in the construction industry and i asked him told ask about

here in NSW a roofer who is on the books get approx $1000 - he has also been told that self employed is around $1600 - $1700 to be self employed roofer you have to have a company name, fully licensed, fully insured, also have to pay workcover which is around 9% of your weekly earnings - 40% of the roofs are tin (colourbond roofing) and the rest is tiles.

Hope this helps a little

gizmo

Hey THx 4 that. I hope you mean weekly!! Is thate take home pay ? If not what taxes etc can you expect to pay & whats the job situation like. My hubs a tiler felter slater & roof plumber. CheersXX Michele

Lets all face it if we go to Oz work hard may it be self-employed or direct if we are willing to graft we are a skill in demand and we all know that means. better pay. If you want to go to a country and doss you won't get alot out of it, just as all walks of life. We will earn at a same ratio as at home with sun on our backs, can't be bad. Even if it is less than we are used to we are going over there with a few quid in our back pockets and a cheaper living costs. Do not fret about rates of pay, you will earn what you are worth. Dan

Archived