Premium Economy Flights

Guest EVA74

Hi - we are currently waiting for our 457 visa approval and are looking at flights. We plan to go to Perth (from Manchester ideally) at the beginning on May, but were hoping to get premium economy flights. After hours on the net still can't seem to find any going to Perth (and have a banging headache!!)

Has anyone else found any, or travelled premium economy to Perth before?. I would really appreciate any advice on who this was with, price, baggage allowance and finally is it worth the extra money??

Many thanks

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi,

There are no airlines currently offering PE on the UK to PER route,several airlines including BA,Qantas,Virgin Atlantic and Emirates offer the class on their services to Sydney and Melbourne but at this point in time there is nobody offering it to Perth.You would also need to check whether any of the airlines I mention offer it out of MAN,you may need to consider a domestic flight to LHR but I'm not positive.

As to whether PE is worth the money,well it depends on what you want,if you want increased legroom,slightly better seats etc then PE is worth it,but at almost twice the price of Y (economy) you have to weigh up the pros and cons yourself.I have flown PE several times last year but I don't know if I'd bother paying the extra again.

HTH

N'OZ

Hi - we are currently waiting for our 457 visa approval and are looking at flights. We plan to go to Perth (from Manchester ideally) at the beginning on May, but were hoping to get premium economy flights. After hours on the net still can't seem to find any going to Perth (and have a banging headache!!)

Has anyone else found any, or travelled premium economy to Perth before?. I would really appreciate any advice on who this was with, price, baggage allowance and finally is it worth the extra money??

Many thanks

We flew Premium Economy with Virgin, Manchester to Tokyo then on to Perth via Singapore Airlines (this was not Premium but on the new Airbus which was almost as good). I booked this directly with Virgin & it was ticketed right through.

It was a good way to do it as the Premium Upgrade was quite cheap as it was only for one leg of the journey but it was the longest leg. We chose Tokyo but Virgin probably offer other options.

The only airlinne that I'm aware of that does Premium all the way through is Qantas but you will have to fly from London.

After much debate we have booked economy with Emirates for our next visit as the hassle of going via London isn't worth the benefits of Premium Economy - it depends how much you hate London, I swear my pulse races just thinking about it :laugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually I just checked on the Sabre ticketing system link I have on my PC and discovered that BA offer a PE service from Manchester but only as far as Singapore then it's economy to Perth. So really the only PE service you will get is out of London,If you go to

British Airways - Plan your journey

you will find details of a dummy return flight itinerary I created,feel free to change the dates.

I looked at Qantas again and they don't offer a PE service to Perth either,only the east coast cities,

Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance,I have up to the minute fare information and flight details available at my fingertips.

HTH

N'OZ

We flew Premium Economy with Virgin, Manchester to Tokyo then on to Perth via Singapore Airlines (this was not Premium but on the new Airbus which was almost as good). I booked this directly with Virgin & it was ticketed right through.

It was a good way to do it as the Premium Upgrade was quite cheap as it was only for one leg of the journey but it was the longest leg. We chose Tokyo but Virgin probably offer other options.

The only airlinne that I'm aware of that does Premium all the way through is Qantas but you will have to fly from London.

After much debate we have booked economy with Emirates for our next visit as the hassle of going via London isn't worth the benefits of Premium Economy - it depends how much you hate London, I swear my pulse races just thinking about it :laugh:

Thanks for this. We called them today to get a quote - £2100 each (nearly fell off the chair!!!) And get this.... flights from Manchester to London, London to Tokyo, Tokyo to Sydney and finally Sydney to Perth - in around 48 hours!!!! Looks like cattle class for us.

Thanks anyway

Eva:biglaugh:

Actually I just checked on the Sabre ticketing system link I have on my PC and discovered that BA offer a PE service from Manchester but only as far as Singapore then it's economy to Perth. So really the only PE service you will get is out of London,If you go to

British Airways - Plan your journey

you will find details of a dummy return flight itinerary I created,feel free to change the dates.

I looked at Qantas again and they don't offer a PE service to Perth either,only the east coast cities,

Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance,I have up to the minute fare information and flight details available at my fingertips.

HTH

N'OZ

Really appreciate the advice Nigel. We really wanted to go direct from Manchester. At least I know I'm not going mad, was on the net for hours trying to find flights. After consideration (and the quote we got from Virgin -see above) we have decided to go economy, probably with Emirates. At least we'll have a bit more money to spend when we get there.

Thanks again.

Eva

Really appreciate the advice Nigel. We really wanted to go direct from Manchester. At least I know I'm not going mad, was on the net for hours trying to find flights. After consideration (and the quote we got from Virgin -see above) we have decided to go economy, probably with Emirates. At least we'll have a bit more money to spend when we get there.

Thanks again.

Eva

We looked at virgin and then discovered that if you book with them you end up on a singapore airlines flight (melbourne). It was more expensive than booking directly with singapore.

We are going emirates and validating the visa. Get extra luggage allowance if you book through moving planet. Manchester to Dubai then onto Melbourne. Then Tassie with a domestic glight.

Cheapest by far £1867 for 4 of us one way in April. Also the quickest route with not much time at Dubai.

Guest Letasha

Hiya just thought id ask whilst we were on the subject of flight research :wacko:

My fam and I are looking to head to Perth next Feb but are finding it v difficult to get prices. I have tried many sites - some say the date is too far in the future, some quoting absolutely crazy prices (£14K for a fam of 4 with 1 being under 2:shocked: ) Just wondering what kind of prices i should be aiming for and which airline you guys found to be worth it. My head is whizzing with this - meant to say we live in Scotland but are willing to fly from anywhere in the UK.

Thanx xxx

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Letasha,

There are two main reservations systems used by the worlds airlines,and the most popular one,Amadeus limits bookings to a maximum of 330 days ahead,so that is why you are having trouble researching flights for 12 months from now,the other system,GDS,will allow searching for flights up to 364 days ahead but as there is no data about traffic patterns etc available yet you will find that prices are extremely high,I don't think you will get any sense out of the system until at the earliest,June this year,you will start to see the prices come down around April but you really won't have any sort of reliable data till much later..

Thanks for this. We called them today to get a quote - £2100 each (nearly fell off the chair!!!) And get this.... flights from Manchester to London, London to Tokyo, Tokyo to Sydney and finally Sydney to Perth - in around 48 hours!!!! Looks like cattle class for us.

Thanks anyway

Eva:biglaugh:

That's strange, I'm sure we flew to Tokyo from Manchester & on from there to Singapore then Perth - we booked 'A Great Escapade' ticket & flew back via LA. It did cost around £7k for 3 of us including upgraded to Premium Economy.

Have a look at The Great Escapade - Welcome

It was Virgin Atlantic you called?? I ask because I made the mistake of calling Virgin Holidays & they will quote you as a 'tailormade' but the flights they can book you on are completely different. Or perhaps that was the way to get Premium Economy the whole way??

As Nigel said, BA is an option, but only from London, we are coming back tto the UK in July and after much discussion decided that Premium Economy is not worth it if we have to travel via London - it adds 5-7 hours on the journey & even the word 'London' increases my blood pressure :biglaugh:

We have decided to travel with Emirates directly to Glasgow. We have travelled with them before & whilst it doesn't compare to Premium Economy you do get slightly more leg room, though the serivce on Singapore Airlines was better in our opinion.

Jules

Hiya just thought id ask whilst we were on the subject of flight research :wacko:

My fam and I are looking to head to Perth next Feb but are finding it v difficult to get prices. I have tried many sites - some say the date is too far in the future, some quoting absolutely crazy prices (£14K for a fam of 4 with 1 being under 2:shocked: ) Just wondering what kind of prices i should be aiming for and which airline you guys found to be worth it. My head is whizzing with this - meant to say we live in Scotland but are willing to fly from anywhere in the UK.

Thanx xxx

Hi,

Your best bet would be to fly with Emirates from Glasgow - we're a family of 3 so prices would be the same & our one way flights were £2100

Just booked a return trip & it was $7000 - about £3200

Emirates have a good reputation & you get slightly more leg room thann average but we weren't that impressed - I'd rate BA, Singapore Airlines & Virgin higher but nothing beats being able to fly from Glasgow, with good connnectingn flights you're there in 18 hours!

Jules

Guest proud2beaussie

I just had a look at an Amadeus reservations system page and although the lastest 2010 date that can be booked today is the 2nd of January there are quotes of one way fares for GLA to PER in Feb 2010 of between £692.00 per person (Qantas) and £946.00 (Emirates),the earliest date that you are going to be able to actually book fares for February 2010 is March 6.

There should not be too much difference in fares in that time but a lot will depend on how the industry holds up in the credit crunch,at the moment carriers are feeling the squeeze and the feeling is that there may well be some sales coming through in the next couple of months.

Guest Letasha

Thanx Nigel and Jules - that makes much more sense now! Flying from Glasgow would be ideal especially for the little ones. I'll begin researching flights again in a few months ............ onto accommodation now haha :twitcy:

Archived