What To Bring

baz6679

Hi All

Really need help. Its so confusing wondering what to bring. Basically do the majority of houses out there for rent come fully furnished. We are going out in september and we just do not know what to bring. We would like to leave our furniture here in Ireland as we are renting out our home but if we needed to bring it with us we would. Would be so grateful for anyone's advice and experience on this issue!!!!!

Guest lolajays

I guess it will depend on if you rent a furnished or unfurnished house much like here really :)

Good luck though and enjoy

Hi All

Really need help. Its so confusing wondering what to bring. Basically do the majority of houses out there for rent come fully furnished. We are going out in september and we just do not know what to bring. We would like to leave our furniture here in Ireland as we are renting out our home but if we needed to bring it with us we would. Would be so grateful for anyone's advice and experience on this issue!!!!!

Most rentals are not furnished over here. You will also have much more choice in rentals if you look for a non furnished house rather than fully furnished,but because you are hoping to rent out your house in Ireland furnished, it is possibly worth looking into buying new furniture when you arrive. It is very cheap for furniture over here, and you will also save on the shipping costs as well. You need to weigh up the costs of shipping and the loss in rental in Ireland compared to the cost of buying new in Oz & the extra rental raised by offering fully furnished.

We brought EVERYTHING when we moved because for us to replace everything it would not have been cost effective, but there are plenty that sold up everything they had and just brought essentials, and bought everything new on arrival.

Hope that helps a bit.

Hi Baz,

Most rentals have just a cooker & dishwasher, some have washing machine if your lucky & maybe a fridge.

I would say that if you have items you like wanna keep etc bring them, white items can be quite pricey here & if its in working order why dump it - save yourself a few bob.

We brought all our electricals from wash machine to microwave to coffee perculator to landline phones & all work well

stuju

Guest mandisfam

Hi, This is a question I have often asked myself. From what I read on here, most people say take everything you can. 1 reason given is that houses are generally bigger and need things to fill it up. Others say the cost of replacing is expensive in oz. The post above is the first I read saying furniture was cheap. I even read threads on here, with people saying bring all bedding, towels etc etc too as the quality and price are not as good as the UK.

I guess it depends on what size container you have too, if you are paying for a full container then you want to fill it as much as possible.

Look forward to reading posts from those who have done it.

Mandisfam

For us there were certain things we wanted when we was over here so we got a sole use container 20ft. Washing machine was 10yrs old so left it in england, fridge broke so left that. They say it is easier to settle if you have your own stuff around you?? depends if you are that way inclinded i think. Just to warn you our stuff was sent Nov 3 and was told 6-8 weeks which was perfect as we arrived on Jan 5. we finally got our stuff on Jan 23 so it usually takes a bit longer than quoted. If you do get a container i would surgest you put everything that you need in it if it is in good order (unless you are reaaly rich) as to buy everything new when you are here would be expensive.

BIG ONE make sure everything is clean especially anything that has had dirt on it, hoovers, washing machine bikes tools as they do clean them for you (at a nice cost) if there is a hint of dirt!!

Most rentals are not furnished over here. You will also have much more choice in rentals if you look for a non furnished house rather than fully furnished,but because you are hoping to rent out your house in Ireland furnished, it is possibly worth looking into buying new furniture when you arrive. It is very cheap for furniture over here, and you will also save on the shipping costs as well. You need to weigh up the costs of shipping and the loss in rental in Ireland compared to the cost of buying new in Oz & the extra rental raised by offering fully furnished.

We brought EVERYTHING when we moved because for us to replace everything it would not have been cost effective, but there are plenty that sold up everything they had and just brought essentials, and bought everything new on arrival.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thank you so much. Your reply has been really helpful

Thanks for that info... hope you dont think it rude, but how much did ur container cost ? and what do you get for that quote ?? thank you :hug:

For us there were certain things we wanted when we was over here so we got a sole use container 20ft. Washing machine was 10yrs old so left it in england, fridge broke so left that. They say it is easier to settle if you have your own stuff around you?? depends if you are that way inclinded i think. Just to warn you our stuff was sent Nov 3 and was told 6-8 weeks which was perfect as we arrived on Jan 5. we finally got our stuff on Jan 23 so it usually takes a bit longer than quoted. If you do get a container i would surgest you put everything that you need in it if it is in good order (unless you are reaaly rich) as to buy everything new when you are here would be expensive.

BIG ONE make sure everything is clean especially anything that has had dirt on it, hoovers, washing machine bikes tools as they do clean them for you (at a nice cost) if there is a hint of dirt!!

Guest tandcmum

you need to look at wether the cost of what you are brinign is worth the shipping cost. I think a 20ft container is on average about 3K. Personally for us it's not worth it, we rent here and the flat has all built in appliances so we don't own any of those, most of our furniture is from ikea and cheap so not worth the cost of shipping so i think the only thing we might bring is our sofa, tv, bed and personal items

Thanks for that info... hope you dont think it rude, but how much did ur container cost ? and what do you get for that quote ?? thank you :hug:

Sole use 20ft container was £3400. that included them coming to my house packing everything (really well) shipping then in Aus they came and put the boxes in the rooms where i wanted them.

They would have unpacked all the boxes and took the wrapping away but left all my stuff on the floor. not what i wanted so as the men this end were not that gentle with my stuff i got them to unpack all the fragile stuff and take most of the wrapping away.

Quartine and customs this end was another $600 and i had some tools and trampoline cover that weren't 'clean' so they cleaned them for me for another $200!!!!!

Company in england were very good, the aussie company were rubbish at letting us know what was going on and i found the men didn't give a monkeys about our stuff and just wanted to go.

Hope it helps

Cheers for that... all the best in new house and arriving in OZ..:hug:

Sole use 20ft container was £3400. that included them coming to my house packing everything (really well) shipping then in Aus they came and put the boxes in the rooms where i wanted them.

They would have unpacked all the boxes and took the wrapping away but left all my stuff on the floor. not what i wanted so as the men this end were not that gentle with my stuff i got them to unpack all the fragile stuff and take most of the wrapping away.

Quartine and customs this end was another $600 and i had some tools and trampoline cover that weren't 'clean' so they cleaned them for me for another $200!!!!!

Company in england were very good, the aussie company were rubbish at letting us know what was going on and i found the men didn't give a monkeys about our stuff and just wanted to go.

Hope it helps

Archived