Need advice for family looking at Perth area

Guest 1971RICHARD

Guest 1971RICHARD

Hi everyone

we have finally made the decision to start the process of applying for a skilled visa, and are looking for as much info as we can get on living and working in the perth areas. Idealy we would prefer to live about 30 min drive outside of the city, where the housing would be a bit cheaper.

My name is Richard i am 37 and work as a self employed car mechanic .

Julie 43 works at ASDA

Liam 13. Important that he can play football

Alex 11 also loves playing football

luke 4

Busby (the dog) 1

Would love to here from anyone who can give us info based on our jobs and likes as listed above, or any other info that would be suitable for us. Especially schooling.

Look forward to hearing from you all over the coming months

Richard

Hi everyone

we have finally made the decision to start the process of applying for a skilled visa, and are looking for as much info as we can get on living and working in the perth areas. Idealy we would prefer to live about 30 min drive outside of the city, where the housing would be a bit cheaper.

My name is Richard i am 37 and work as a self employed car mechanic .

Julie 43 works at ASDA

Liam 13. Important that he can play football

Alex 11 also loves playing football

luke 4

Busby (the dog) 1

Would love to here from anyone who can give us info based on our jobs and likes as listed above, or any other info that would be suitable for us. Especially schooling.

Look forward to hearing from you all over the coming months

Richard

Welcome to PIO and to your very own rollercoaster - hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

Sorry I can't help on the work side - plenty of garages and supermarkets though! Seriously there will be far more than in a city of similar size in the UK as everything is much more localised - I had to travel 5 miles to Tesco's at a retail park in the UK, I doubt anyone in Perth metro is more than a km away from a Woolies or Coles.

Soccer is increasing in popularity here so there will be opportunities almost everywhere but if you focus on the areas that brits tend to live then there will be even more opportunities -I believe there is a high school in Rockingham with a gifted and talented soccer program & also at South Fremantle HS.

My DS is starting Jungle sports on Saturday www.junglesports.com.au

We've been to watch Perth Glory a couple of times and it was a brilliant family night out.

Narrowing down suitable suburbs is hard but you'll have plenty of choice 30 mins out of Perth - be sure whether you mean by public transport or by road (& if so will you be travelling in the rush hour?) How close to the beach do you want to be? A lot of the areas favoured by brits are further out along the coast but you can get much cheaper properties inland.

Best bet is to browse www.reiwa.com.au along with www.aussiemove.com

but this quote from Aussiemove just about sums it up...

So, let's say you love the beach and want to live close to it - how close? Actual beachside suburbs are expensive, but less expensive the further north/south from the CBD you go. As a rule of thumb I would say you need to be able to afford at least the median house price as stated by REIWA (also on Aussiemove) - which would buy you a house of "reasonable" size and quality in that suburb. Clearly this is an approximation - you may be happy with a very modest house in a great location or you may demand a 6 bedroom mansion and accept the fact it's in the middle of nowhere, I don't know. But for this discussion, let's look at the median-priced house in each suburb.

So, for $1.8 million¹ you get a house in Cottesloe (regarded by many as the most desirable beachside suburb). Looking further north, for about $1 million you're into Waterman's Bay, $810,000 for Sorrento, $690,000 for Ocean Reef, $600,000 for Mindarie and $440,000 for Yanchep, where you're 48km north of the city. But if you don't want to be so far from the city, look further east (ie. slightly further from the beach). For example, median price for Hillarys (0-2km from the beach) is $750K. In Padbury, the next suburb along, you'd be 2-4 km from the beach and the median is $421K. How long does it take to drive 3km to get to the beach?

Pretty much the same principles apply to the southern beachside suburbs, although there are some industrial areas in the south which make them undesirable even though they're by the ocean. And the same process applies if you like "the river" - Swan and Canning rivers - the most expensive suburbs of all are on the north bank of the Swan river.

I found this one of the most useful tools in deciding where to live

Perth Median Price Map - Real Estate Institute of WA

Be warned though no amount of internet browsing really gives you the feel of a place, when you're selling up in the Uk and moving with a family IMHO a reccie is a MUST.

We hated everywhere we thought we wanted to live before our reccie and once your kids start school you don't really want to move them again.

We've been in Perth a couple of months so the whole process is still fresh in my mind (& we're still applying for our 175!) so if I can help with anything else feel free to ask.

Jules

Archived