Oz Uni

Guest Amie

I'm hoping to be in oz next year, and I want to go to uni there. I'll be 21 by then but don't know if ill be entitled to any grants or not as I will have an Oz passport after staying there for two years. Does any one know about the system or gone through the same sort of thing?

Guest michelle in Havant

I am afraid I can't help with your dilema, but just wanted to say hi and welcome to PIO!!!!

michelle x

Hi Amie;

My daughter Lizzy is 21 and is just about to start her second year at the University of Queensland. She applied at the end of the summer of 2007 through QTAC (Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre) the same as UCAS. Because she is an Australian citizen, even though she left Australia in 1998 as a child, she could still apply as a domestic student not as an internatinal student. This means her fees are much, much lower, and she can defer payment of fees through Hecs (higher education contribution), paying it back after she graduates when she earns over a certain salary.

She was unable to get any Austudy grant for living costs as this is means tested and my husband earns too much. But you might find you are eligible for something. You need to access the Centrelink website to find out more. (But don't get too excited - when they say you can get a full grant if you can prove you are unable to live at home this does not count emigration lol. Apparently we would have had to disown her to fulfill their criteria!)

The university websites usually have a lot of finacial info on them.

By the way, when Lizzy applied, we paid a small fee for her UK exam results to be converted to the Australian system. (she actually got in on her AS results). She applied on line and it was very straight forward. Don't forget the academic year starts now so application times are very different to here.

If I can be of any help just send me a personal message or post again on this thread. If you would like to communicate with Lizzy I could give you her email addy in a personal message.

Hope this helps,

Deb

You are aware that the residence for citizenship is now 4 years? Unless you have already lived here for some time or validated a visa some time ago. As a PR you wont be entitled to any grants and you will have to pay your fees up front each semester. You would be entitled to youth allowance once you have been here for 2 years but up to then you cannot get benefits. I am assuming you plan to come here on a PR visa and not an international student visa??? Because if you come on an international student visa then you pay everything up front with higher fees and are not entitled to any benefits.

Hi Amie;

I realize I may have misunderstood your opening post. I understood you to mean you had an Australian passport. If this is not the case then the information I posted above will be irrelevant to you.

Deb

Sorry I should have said that I have validated my visa and after two years of staying there I will be entitled to an Oz passport. I only have to wait two years because my step-dad already has an Oz passport. Or this is the reason I'm led to believe, I don't understand it completly all I know is that i can jump on plane and stay there forever.

Thanks for all the advice though its helping a great deal!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Granada

By the way, when Lizzy applied, we paid a small fee for her UK exam results to be converted to the Australian system. (she actually got in on her AS results). She applied on line and it was very straight forward.

Deb

Would you be so kind as to pint me in the right direction for getting AS results converted?

My son takes his AS's this year and A levels next year so we were expecting to wait until at least June 2010 before heading out ..... I would love to know if we could maybe look to head out a little earlier if he does well in his AS's :jiggy:

Thanks Jen x

Archived