Plumbing VETASSESS

gaunty

Really hoping someone can help with my query.

I've got NVQ 2+3 domestic plumbing (with 5 years working doing domestic plumbing work, mainly maintenance for a small family firm outfit), NG Corgi, Water Regs, Unvented.

Looking at VETASSESS I note they require evidence of Levelling, Installing Fire/ irrigation and Oxy/ Fusion welding, none of which are covered in the UK courses (except a Oxy acetylene for lead).

There are loads of plumbers who have got their visas with a NVQ quals. Can anyone who has gone through the plumbing vetassess process give me some feedback as to how best to deal with the process where they appear to require evidence of experience which (i) are not covered under the NVQ syllabuses or (ii) something which I have not come across at all in my work so far.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gaunty

Hi Gaunty,

My o/h is doing his vetassess plumbing practical in feb, and like you he was concerned about the start of the process regarding the points you mentioned above, Just mentioned your thread to him, and he said will drop you a message shortly, hope this helps a little, all he did say is don't worry, you can send him a message, his user name is

wingywangwoo

Guest wingywangwoo
Really hoping someone can help with my query.

I've got NVQ 2+3 domestic plumbing (with 5 years working doing domestic plumbing work, mainly maintenance for a small family firm outfit), NG Corgi, Water Regs, Unvented.

Looking at VETASSESS I note they require evidence of Levelling, Installing Fire/ irrigation and Oxy/ Fusion welding, none of which are covered in the UK courses (except a Oxy acetylene for lead).

There are loads of plumbers who have got their visas with a NVQ quals. Can anyone who has gone through the plumbing vetassess process give me some feedback as to how best to deal with the process where they appear to require evidence of experience which (i) are not covered under the NVQ syllabuses or (ii) something which I have not come across at all in my work so far.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Gaunty

hi gaunty,

all you have to do is describe in detail any jobs you may have done involved in this kind of work,

1, levelling to simple forms- you have probably at sometime dug a trench to lay a watermain, backfilled and filled with concrete, just describe how you carried out this job

2,installing fire hydrant or sprinkler systems- i have never been involved in fire hydrants but have replaced sprinkler heads, again describe the procedure how you may do this( lots of useful info on the internet to help you)

3,irrigation- i have done a lot of garden work for blocks of flats, farms etc, i described how i ran an irrigation system around an estate, gardens to blocks of flats and on farms off a mains feed, again lots of useful info on the net if you have not done this before

4, oxy/fusion welding- i just mentioned jobs where i have had to braze or lead wipe fittings

they dont expect you to have carried out all the jobs listed but you will probably need to have an idea how it all works this is where the net and good old college books help, i am just refreshing my brain on a lot of things that have been long forgotten as like you i do a lot of maintenance work, not a lot of installation, if in doubt tell them what they want to hear

regards, john

Thanks John- that has put my mind at ease (slightly!).

Our agent has basically said that if I can't show evidence of all of the skills then it's a show stopper, which is a little concerning :shocked:. Thinking about it now I've put in the feed to a water fountain in a garden and did the lead work at college, and dug out and back filled for soil pipes (many times).

So I guess if you can get atleast one 'Yes' in all the areas then that's not so bad.

I'd be really interested on hearing how your practical met with your expectations and what it was like.

Good luck with the exam.

Regards

Gaunty

hi there

my oh has 6 yrs in plumbing - done city and guilds and nvq 2 and he got through all the evidence stuff - first stage of vetasses and has practical in 2 weeks - he has never done any of the other stuff - just gave common sense answers - hope this helps

hi there

my oh has 6 yrs in plumbing - done city and guilds and nvq 2 and he got through all the evidence stuff - first stage of vetasses and has practical in 2 weeks - he has never done any of the other stuff - just gave common sense answers - hope this helps

Hi my o/h is doing his on the 19th accrington,

Good luck to everyone on the day !

Hi, this thread is a good example why pio is such a good site, with total strangers helping each other out.Good luck to all those with there Vettassess coming up. andy

Hi my o/h is doing his on the 19th accrington,

Good luck to everyone on the day !

Hi All,

I'm sure all the venues are pretty much the same but i took my practical (plumbing) at the Accrington site and found the college staff there very helpful.

For folkes who hadn't brazed a joint in a while, the staff let you have a few goes before doing your final peice of work to be assesed. As long as you get it right on the one you decide to screw to the wall for assessment your ok, don't worry about wasting fittings while practicing. I'm not and never have been corgi registered but i know most of the basic do's and dont's with gas so i took the advice of others on here and opted for the gas option rather than the roofing option, which is not really a plumbers job over here anyhow.

The questions they asked about specific tasks wern't too technical, i got the impression the assessor had a list of key/buzz words that i had to say while answering the questions.

If anyone wants any further information regarding what i had to do (although your tasks may well be different so don't take it as gospel) pm me and i'll be only to happy to help.

By the way i did pass lol

Regards

Martin

No Worries any time

If you've not noticed (i hadn't until tonight) there is a plumbers queensland thread with some great info regarding registration when actually in aus. I've not read all the posts on it yet but the few i've read are very interesting, even for those not going to qld.

Martin

Archived