Species of Spiders, Snakes, etc.. to watch out for in Victoria?

Guest Emma&Rich

• 3 weeks later...
Guest matt88

Hey...im Matt

i moved here (melbourne) 2 years ago...

i have travelled alot of Australia and wierdly have seen more dangerous insects/snakes here in Melbourne than anywhere else

i Live in Williamstown in Melbourne and have had many a Redback and whitetail in the house :arghh: !!....im all good with this though as when it come to it im a bit of a steve irwin (im mad i know)

i do often go on the hunt for things so i guess that if you dont look you wont find.....around the Rifle range area of williamstown and newport lakes not that far away are actually a common place for Tiger snakes....they are very agressive and even go for eachother!

i recently had a friend take her dog out for a wlak whislt a small paddock was being developed and her dog unfortunatly died from a snake bite....so be careful in areas that are being disturbed for any reason.....and damp dark areas around lakes / woodland or marshland

and for spiders....well....those little things manage to crawl around everywhere so just keep your eyes peeled

Matt:wink:

heres my pet redback :

Guest hammfam

We have been here for about 2 1/2 years and my OH has seen a couple of snakes, friends have snakes regularly on their land, they have 8 acres out in Kinglake area but they kill them. Snakes will not bother you unless you bother them, they are more interested in dogs and the other people are right that more children die particularly from drowning. As for spiders - none of them are bigger than your shoes! Just give them a wallop - especially red backs and white tips, Hunstmen are not poisonous, they can bite and do hurt but only if provoked. Ants are more of a problem especially bull ants cos they just bite for no reason. Sharks can bite too but they're not poisonous either!!!!

Archived