Species of Spiders, Snakes, etc.. to watch out for in Victoria?

Guest Emma&Rich

Guest Emma&Rich

Now, I'm a bit embrassed to ask and I have read some threads about Spiders, Snakes etc.. I know that most are found 'in the bush' and are more common when your trecking or exploring.

However, I would like to know if there are any 'dangers' in the form of animals/insects/reptiles in Victoria?? Your climate is a lot cooler than a lot of AUS, so I was wondering if this makes an impact on what creatures you get?

Is there any precautions you take on a daily basis??

I have had to ask as my Partner was told 'nearly everything can kill you, weather it's alone or with it's mates!' This sounds like a really stupid thing to say and I would like to give my Partner some proper facts.

Thank you kindly!

Emma. x:embarrassed:

Never think about them. I have seen one snake in our garden in the last twenty years. In Queensland you get more of them in the garden. This is not to say they are not around and different areas seem to have more of them. Snake Valley out of Ballarat is not named that because there are none.

Tiger snakes are seen around Melbourne however you would be unlucky to see one.

Mosquitos bite they are a menace. Flies are more of a problem.

Spiders they do a wonderful job eating the mossies and the flies and I like them around. Huntsmen big spiders do come in the house but you just remove them with a dustpan well I do.

Red Back spiders are easily seen and live in dark corners and have untidy webs.

"Dangerous animals

Victoria has few dangerous animals. Venomous snakes, including the tiger snake, copperhead snake and red-bellied black snake are mostly found in bushland but they can also live in built-up areas. Poisonous spiders, such as the redback spider and the white-tailed spider, are commonly found in houses, sheds and garages. The danger posed by snakes or spiders is, however, extremely low." from a Melbourne web site.

Guest mandisfam

Hi, I lived in Melbourne for 6 months and never once saw a snake. Yes you got spiders arrived, normally little ones they looked just like the type we have hear, but I had idea what they were and it never bothered me. We did once get a huntsman in the house, I said to my ozzie room mates who is going to move it then and no-one would, they were all too bloody scared of it. It stay with us about 4 days and then disappeared.......

To big honest I travelled all the way up the east coast, all the normal tourist places, whitsunday islands, fraser island, camping in the bush., rainforests in northern queensland and never once did I see a snake, but did see lots of spiders.

mandisfam

Now, I'm a bit embrassed to ask and I have read some threads about Spiders, Snakes etc.. I know that most are found 'in the bush' and are more common when your trecking or exploring.

However, I would like to know if there are any 'dangers' in the form of animals/insects/reptiles in Victoria?? Your climate is a lot cooler than a lot of AUS, so I was wondering if this makes an impact on what creatures you get?

Is there any precautions you take on a daily basis??

I have had to ask as my Partner was told 'nearly everything can kill you, weather it's alone or with it's mates!' This sounds like a really stupid thing to say and I would like to give my Partner some proper facts.

Thank you kindly!

Emma. x:embarrassed:

Here you go, mate:

Snakes

Victorian Spiders - spider identification in Victoria, Australia - Spiders in Victoria

Cheers, Bobj.

We've been in Victoria since last June and have so far seen in and around our house....

3 Huntsman spiders

3 Whitetails

3 Redbacks

About 20 million daddy long leg spiders

No snakes

Just keep a can of mortein handy for the nasty ones.

The biggest problem we have is ants. The recent hot weather has brought them out in biblical proportions. I'd rather have a huntsman than a plague of ants any day.

T xx

Been in Melbourne for nearly 3 months. Seen no snakes, a few garden spiders, 1 dead Huntsman. The most annoying thing are the flies..............

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Emma

Please don't worry to much. We have been in Oz nearly 5 years and if it wasn't for working with wildlife I would not have seen any snakes. The children have seen them in the school grounds but we have never seen any near the home (although the neighbours dog got bit by one a couple of months ago and died)

Spiders are a different matter. However, the three major spiders that we have here are the Huntsman, White Tail and Red Back.

The white tails bite is not fatal, yes it will sting and the area of the bite will probably come up like a mozzie bite and itch but it is not going to kill you. It was said that you could get a form of gangrene from a white tail that could prove life threatening but as yet this has not been proved.

Huntsman

They very rarely bite and if they do, are not fatal, they just produce local swelling and transient pain.

Red Back

Now with the Red Back, it is only the female that can penetrate the human skin as the mouth on a male is to small (now no jokes about women having big mouths). If you get bit by a female it can prove fatal as the venom attacks the nervous system. Signs include severe pain, sweating, muscular weakness, nausea and vomiting. As the venom molecule is large it takes a while to get in to the blood stream but you need to see a Dr as soon as possible.

Another spider that is responsible for quite a few painful bites is the common black house spider again not fatal but you MAY get the same symptons as above ie, severe pain, sweating, nausea and vomitting

Guest Emma&Rich

Thank you all for the quick and informative replys! You have reassured me and I will be passing the info onto my worried Partner!!

Thank you kindly!!

Emma. x

Guest Emma&Rich

Thank you all for the quick and informative replys! I feel reassured and I will be passing the info onto my worried partner!

Thank you kindly!

Emma. x

Emma, I moved to melbourne in December 2007 and i am soooooo scared of spiders!!

People who write on here and scare the life out of you saying they are everywhere are just being nasty

( i read numerous posts on here before coming about big/poisonous spiders being everywhere and i used to check walls, under toilet seat, under my sun visor in the car before i went or did anything)

Since i have ben here we have had 2 huntsman in the house ( 1 last february and 1 2 nights ago) 1 in the aquarium and 2 out and about.

1 white tail ( in my bedding after being washed but was on the floor in the laundry room)

Never seen a redback, although there are lots of webs outside the house that look like redback webs.

Never seen a snake, and i walk my 2 dogs everyday along paths that have "beware snakes occur naturally in this area"

Have had quite a few large crickets and when it rains you get loads of centipedes come in.

It really is the same as the UK as in you get them every now and then and yes have a bottle of mortein spray in the cupboard for those days, ( or 2 dogs as mine love to chase and play with all bugs and save me!!)

As others have said the flies and mozzies are the worst part of it and i totally understand where the hats with corks on came from now !

Anyway hope this helps

Guest Emma&Rich

Hi gparkes,

Thanks for your reply. I am really pleased with the responses I have had with this thread. A little more reassurance as we have two young children (4yrs & 22mths). They are our world and the reason we want to move.

Lovely to hear that your happy in Victoria. From the beautiful pics and everything I have read/researched about the area, it seems to be the best place for us to start a new life. We are hoping to visit in April but the current financial climate here in the UK is hindering our savings plan at the mo!!

Kind regards,

Emma. x

Guest cheshire lass

Emma, i have been here for years and i have seen a snake twice going across the road from a car. If you spray every six months with a surface spray all entrances and window sills.this will keep spiders at bay. Try to keep clothes /towels off the floor, bring washing in before dusk. Use a yellow light bulb for outside the house,keeps bugs from the doorway at night.Make sure the flywires at all the windows and doors are in good repair. And Never stick your hand in a log or hole in the ground,be careful in the garden with old tyres and cans as this is a fav for redbacks. They are never found under the toilet seat in modern houses. That is a story taken from when they had outside tincan toilets and were dark and shady from the sun so the spiders used to go in there.

Never let on to any Aussies you are scared as a fav pastime is to "put the wind up" any New Poms!

I did not know there was a many spiders in Melb. We are hoping to go there in a year or so. I told my wife that it was only further North where you got that kind of stuff!!!!

Is there any way I could have this thread removed from this site........it case she sees it!

K

Guest Trina Findlay
We've been in Victoria since last June and have so far seen in and around our house....

3 Huntsman spiders

3 Whitetails

3 Redbacks

About 20 million daddy long leg spiders

No snakes

Just keep a can of mortein handy for the nasty ones.

The biggest problem we have is ants. The recent hot weather has brought them out in biblical proportions. I'd rather have a huntsman than a plague of ants any day.

T xx

Since June also, I've seen:

3 wolf spiders

lost count of white-tails

1 unidentified HUGE b*gger - don't know what it was, but I swear it had FANGS!

also about 20 trillion zillion daddy long leg spiders

a few dead tiger snakes on the side of the road - but that was near Anakie, in the countryside outside Geelong...

You beat me on Huntsman and Redbacks T!!

I try not to think about it too much - otherwise I'd be jumping at every shadow or feathery touch of something tickling my leg (and nine times out of ten it's either one of our kittens or my OH!!! :smile:) - I'm just more aware than I was in the UK. I do however always shake out my towel before using it after a shower, and turn my shoes upside down and give them a good shake!! I forgot to check my gardening gloves once, and FREAKED when I felt something crawling over my flesh... after I retrieved the glove from the other side of the yard where I had flicked it in fright, a poor little moth crawled out, looking a bit dazed... still, I learned my lesson!!!!

Guest Trina Findlay
Make that four redbacks. Just found one hiding in the garage!!

T xx

:swoon: You just had to go one better, didn't you T?? :wink:

Guest Trina Findlay
Ha ha. Sorry Trina. I didn't go hunting for it, honest!!

T xx

Well, I've just seen a shark battle a crocodile whilst being stung by a scorpion smothered by a whole nest of redbacks AND white-tails.... honest... Geelong's more dangerous than people think.... :biglaugh:

Guest Vicky Howarth

I found the following link to be very helpful:-

Melbourne's Summer Bities

We live in the northern suburbs and although we have not seen any of the snakes or spiders in the home, you do get tiger snakes near water. Just stick to the paths and away from long grass and you will be ok. Ants are the worst problem we've had.

Hi gparkes,

Thanks for your reply. I am really pleased with the responses I have had with this thread. A little more reassurance as we have two young children (4yrs & 22mths). They are our world and the reason we want to move.

Lovely to hear that your happy in Victoria. From the beautiful pics and everything I have read/researched about the area, it seems to be the best place for us to start a new life. We are hoping to visit in April but the current financial climate here in the UK is hindering our savings plan at the mo!!

Kind regards,

Emma. x

Regarding the danger of snakes and spiders to your kids, More Children are killed by dogs in Australia then snakes and spiders. No one has died from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years and only around 2 people are killed by snakes a year, usually those people were only bitten becasue they picked up the snake or tried to kill it, a snake is'nt going to come up to you and bite you for no reason, they will only bite you if you step on them or attack them.

There are much more seroius dangers facing kids downunder,Last year hundreds of kids were killed by cars and drowning in OZ , i'm pity sure none were killed by snakes or spiders, your worrying about nothing.

If you were unlucky enough to be bitten you aren't going to drop dead in 5 minutes, almost everyone that is bitten makes it to hospital in time to be saved unless they are in the middle of the outback.

Guest Emma&Rich

Thank you for your reply. Although sad to read the stats of children dying from other unfortunate events. I feel reassured about the insect debate now! I really appreciate your response!

Thank you for your reply. Although sad to read the stats of children dying from other unfortunate events. I feel reassured about the insect debate now! I really appreciate your response!

l live on a few acres of land in the middle of country Victoira and l have never seen a snake on my land so if your living in Suburban Melbourne the zoo is probably the only place you will see one. Snakes and spiders are just as affraid of us as we are of then and they advoid going anywhere near humans as much as they can.

Archived