Commitment to Canberra Statement

Guest daz181

Hi All

We are at the starting point for applying for our 176 visa. I've had a positive response back from my skills assessment as a Construction Project Manager back in December, it took about 4 weeks which was surprisingly fast!

Sent a copy of my CV for them to have a look at, and got the all clear to proceed with our visa application.

We have just finished putting together our "Commitment to Canberra" statement but are a little worried as to whether we have ticked all the boxes. Has anybody sent theirs and had any feedback?

cheers

Daz

Guest michelle in Havant

Hi Daz181

We have had our 176 visa granted today and are going to Canberra. When we did our statement, we just put in as much detail as we could, we even mentioned the fact that it has changing seasons. We quoted rental prices and the sources of this information. We also showed that we had researched areas to live, schools, utility costs, shopping bills etc. We also said why we thought Canberra would be suitable for our family with regard to hobbies and locsal events and gave reasons why we thought we would settle into the local community fairly quickly.

Hope this helps!

michelle x

Hi michelle thanks for the reply and congrats on the Visa! When are you planning on going out there?

From your response I think we have prepared a statement similar to yours, so we will send it and cross our fingers (and toes...and arms,legs etc etc!!)

Thanks again

Cath (Darrens OH!)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Samfire

We are also applying for the 176 visa and have just submitted our State Sponsorship Application. Our migration agent commented that our Commitment to Canberra statement was excellent, and covered everything that was needed. Be very careful not to copy directly from the web, as this is not allowed. It must be in your own words. We included (but kept it brief and to the point): overview of our history and our knowledge of Canberra's history; Employment Opportunity; Canberra Culture; Education Opportunities; Ethos of Australian Culture; Cost of Living; Quality of Life in Canberra. You can make the font size smaller (Font 10 or 11) if you run over two pages!! I think that's what I did. I'm only a new member, so I didn't see your post until today - maybe you've already finished and submitted your statement by now. Either way, best of luck with it!!!

Thanks for the response, we haven't submitted it yet as we are just getting together the £25k needed to show we can support ourselves (me, wife & 2 kids)! We are also not rushing our application as we are concerned about the economic situation in Oz (I work in construction).

I hope all goes well with your application, good luck!

Guest Samfire

It's hard to know what to do! If you have time on your hands, you are right not to rush it - on the other hand, things are so bad in the UK and Ireland economically, it is anticipated that there will be a flood of people looking to emigrate to greener pastures, in particular Australia. Don't leave it too late!!! I'm terrified that our property won't fetch what it is currently valued at, by the time we are ready to put it on the market!! Fingers Crossed. Good luck!

Samfire

Sick of Ireland and its politicians!!!!!

Us too Samfire. who know's how we'll sell our home in this environment, and if we get anything what it was previously valued at. I have to be realistic though and acknowledge that "the market" will dictate the price we get, and as a result, where we go from there.

Ellie :)

Guest Samfire

Hi Ellie

Just wondering if you are still confused about skills assessment??? We've just been through that process, so maybe I can be of some help??? Let me know if you have any questions - I'm happy to try and answer them for you if I can.

Bye 4now.

Samfire

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Hi, Am currently researching and writing this piece and wondered if there is anyone else doing this right now too.... if so do you want to swap ideas? As I feel that this can make or break the application.... Many thanks Caroline

I have finished my research on ACT. However, I find it difficult to write the Commitment to Canberra just within 2 pages!! Do I need to include everything within 2 pages?

• 1 year later...

Archived