Character/Older homes in Sydney

christopher

Hi There (I'm new to the forum and wedsite)

My wife and I are moving to Sydney in May this year, my wife is Australian, she is originally from Perth. We actually got married in Perth in a winery over there (it was beautiful) but having being there I really didnt take to the place at all, I found it a bit sterile and apart from the city and wonderful park, it just seemed to Kilometers of nothing then a shopping centre and then a housing estate then nothing again for kilometers, it's also way too isolated for my liking, maybe when/if we have a family we may reconsider! but anyway, we spent our honeymoon in Sydney and we just fell in love with the place instantly so decided to give it a go there (I have my medical next week so fingers crossed my Visa will be granted soon). My wife is a Registered Nurse with around 15 years experience in both Australia and England so she should easily get a job, I'm a Graphic Designer so it wont be as easy for me i suspect, but having looked at the jobs available it seems to be fairly well paid in sydney.

The question I have is, we both loved the oder federation style houses that we saw over there, and also the art deco type apartments, something with character, I just wondered which are the best areas we should be looking at, I really loved Balmain but i apreciate that it may be out of our budget which will be around $375,000 - $500,000 (depending on how much mortgage we will get, we should have a deposit of around $300,00!!)

cheers in advance!

chris

Guest tenquidder

Hi Chris

The suburb of Haberfield is heritage listed and contains mainly federation style houses. I suspect it may be outside your budget, but have a look on realestate.com.au and check surrounding suburbs, or "inner west" region on domain.com.au. Places like Glebe, Stanmore, Annandale, Summer Hill come to mind.

All the best

Chris

Guest tenquidder

Hi Chris

Don't know the area that well, but it's in the right general location, bounded by Stanmore, Petersham, Summer Hill. It's also on the train line, about 20 min.'s from the city, if that's of use to you. Closer in, and you're in into "inner city" areas like St Peters and Sydenham. Further out, you're into places like Canterbury, Belmore - red brick style suburbs.

Chris

Hi Chris

Don't know the area that well, but it's in the right general location, bounded by Stanmore, Petersham, Summer Hill. It's also on the train line, about 20 min.'s from the city, if that's of use to you. Closer in, and you're in into "inner city" areas like St Peters and Sydenham. Further out, you're into places like Canterbury, Belmore - red brick style suburbs.

Chris

to be honest the more i look at those areas (dulwhich hill, petersham & stanmore) they look perfect for what we need, 20mins from the city and near train links is just what were after.

Were going to rent when we first get out there but want to buy as soon as possible

• 2 weeks later...
Guest alexwarner

Hi Chris, we looked for several months in the areas you are looking at- We loved Leichardt, Erskineville, Enmore, Newtown, all the Inner West suburbs, but unfortunately so does everyone else!!! Buying can be a bit of a nightmare and auctions a complete farse! We had a few problems securing a mortgage with the state of the Bnaks etc at the time and weren't able to afford any of the gorgeous places we'd seen! We eveuntually widened our search to the St George area and now live in Arncliffe. We still have great links to the city, Inner West and main motorways. St George is not as "cosmopolitan" as the inner west but still has some great Victorian, Edwardian and Federation style houses along with Pubs, cafes etc.

If you want any info on the FIRB, solicitors, financial advisors etc when you do go to buy get in touch-we made some helpful contacts on the way!

Good Luck, Alex and Darren

Archived