Wildlife Victoria Call for Help

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

After a breakout of severe fires this week, wildlife rescue operations are already underway, with dozens of animals currently being treated and in care.

To ensure we will be able to meet the substantial rescue and rehabilitation costs necessary to save animals' lives, We have immediately launched an urgent Bushfire Appeal . I encourage all Wildlife Victoria's friends and supporters to help spread the word about this urgent campaign.

More details are contained in the report following my email below, written yesterday morning. Since then, Wildlife Victoria has been given the 'all clear' for clean up and rescue operations to begin in Woodend. This Australia Day long weekend, Wildlife Victoria volunteers are going into to these devastated areas to rescue koalas, wombats and any other injured animals they find, and make food drops for the animals they don't find.

I just received a few minutes ago a volunteer's report of one of the first animals rescued from Woodend. 'While on the fire grounds the crew came across a burnt Eastern Grey Joey who was so severely injured that the crew leader was able to walk right up to her without resistance, cover her with a blanket and lay her down on the ground for immediate treatment before rushing her to triage.'

In early December, I launched Wildlife Victoria's Summer Emergency Appeal with the aim of raising $24,000 to meet the costs of the large number of additional rescues and the increased number of calls we receive to the 24 hour Emergency Phone line, as well as to ensure we were as best prepared as we could be for the fires we hoped would not come.

With the cool start to summer, donations have been slow to come in and I have only managed to raise $15,317 so far. This means Wildlife Victoria's resources are already stretched to the limit, with current weather patterns predicting another 3 - 4 weeks at least of extreme fire danger in Gippsland and many other areas, more fires are almost a certainty.

As the cost of intensive care for just one koala can be over $60 per day (including burns creams, dressings, IV fluids, food, antibiotics and general care) , I need to spread the word about this Urgent Appeal far and fast:

Donations can be made online here,

by post to 3/288 Brunswick St, Fitzroy 3065,

by phone to 03 9445 0310 (10 till 4pm) or 042 4044 930 (24 hours). Email inquiries steve@wildlifevictoria.org.au

Guest The Pom Queen

Also in follow up to this we are also seeking more volunteers to help us through the busy season, we have various roles available here is a list of some of the volunteer positions we have available. You don't have to commit all your free time, 1 hour a week would be a huge help.

Emergency Phone Operators are part of a dynamic and dedicated volunteer team who provides useful health information to members of the Victorian public seeking advice with sick, injured and orphaned native wildlife. EPO’s deal with thousands of calls a year from the public.

Specific Tasks & Duties

• Provide useful information that will assist callers using the emergency telephone service seeking information and advice with sick, injured and orphaned native wildlife without placing the caller at risk of injury
  • Facilitate active rescues and transport of sick, injured and wildlife to appropriate care
  • Liaise with shelter operators, foster carers, Department of Sustainability & Environment & other government organisations, veterinary clinics, other wildlife care organisations and animal welfare agencies

Rescue & Transporter

Transporters and rescuers respond to calls from Emergency Phone Operators to attend to either transport or rescue an animal. The transporter and rescuer will take the rescued animal immediately to a licensed shelter or foster carer or veterinarian unless the rescuer or transporter is also licensed under the DSE to take injured and orphaned wildlife.

Specific Tasks & Duties

• Take details of rescues and transporting tasks from the Emergency Phone Operator
  • Attend the rescue or transport and undertake the task set as soon as possible. If not attending immediately make contact with the original caller to inform them of your estimated time of arrival
  • Contact the Emergency Phone Operator if your situation changes and you can no longer undertake a rescue you have previously agreed to attend
  • Assess the situation on arrival at an incident. Note any hazards that may be dangerous, determine the requirements including whether the animal actually needs rescuing, undertake the rescue and contain the animal safely for delivery to a licensed shelter, foster or veterinarian.

Becoming a Carer

The practical caring for wildlife is very different from caring for domesticated animals and may be much more difficult and demanding than initially expected. A good deal of expertise and knowledge is required to provide high quality care to injured, distressed and/or orphaned wildlife. It can also turn out to be very demanding financially and so is something that should be well considered before taking that step.

If you think you can help us please pm me and I will provide you with more information.

Thanks

Kate

:wubclub:

Archived