whats everones veiws on debt???

Guest wingy

What amazes me is the families like you say, have no money! But you hear them say they are having take aways that night, oh is going down the pub, their kids have all the named stuff and they take at least two holidays a year, Not to mention the wide screen tv, But they are skint..... Priorities come to mind!

We have been married 11 years, had no honey moon, and o/h hasn't had time off from his job for two years, We get by and are happy, if we wan't something we save up, credit cards get you in more trouble, My eldest daughter found that out the hard way!

What amazes me is the families like you say, have no money! But you hear them say they are having take aways that night, oh is going down the pub, their kids have all the named stuff and they take at least two holidays a year, Not to mention the wide screen tv, But they are skint..... Priorities come to mind!

We have been married 11 years, had no honey moon, and o/h hasn't had time off from his job for two years, We get by and are happy, if we wan't something we save up, credit cards get you in more trouble, My eldest daughter found that out the hard way!

I think you might find they have been brain washed by uk soaps & this is the normal way to carrie on LOL

Guest Scamp1976

Credit ( or debt, as many call it ) is nothing more than a verbal but usually written agreement that you will loan money now and pay it back in the future.

It's a contract. Just like a mortgage, credit card debt is very serious business.

Anyone who leaves debt behind takes HUGE risks. First of all they never can return to that country, but even worse if you ever decide to go to let's say France and you have a debt in UK, and your plane gets diverted due to whatever reason and you end up landing in the UK, they will board your plane and take you out, cuff you up and you go directly to jail until you paid off your debts. Not a nice way to start a holiday I guess. This can even happen 20 years later, and it will be all added up to interest. On top of this, I wouldn't be surprised if western countries ( like Australia / Europe / USA and some Asian countries like Japan and Hong-Kong etc ) sign a treaty to get rid of this problem. This can be 5 years from now, but it's bound to happen with globalization. European countries already have this treaty and there's no way to have a debt in The Netherlands and get away with it in France or Germany. It won't be long before this is worldwide. And what do you do then? Run to Thailand ? Until they sign the treaty too.

No, it will haunt you forever, like someone said : Karma will get you in the end.

Also, keep in mind that transferring debt from company to other companies is big business. What if Visa buys your debt ? That means you will never be able to get ANY form of credit , EVER again. Not with Visa, not with Mastercard, not with banks.

Don't think that banks / CC companies don't have black lists, because THEY DO. I have personally seen them. Huge databases full of fraudsters... If you're on there you never get off ... your life will be pretty much cash the rest of your life. No mortgage means no house, ever, and no credit card means you cannot even hire a car in the USA or book a hotel. Good luck with that :)

It relly peeves me off when people like scamp1976 start spouting rubbish like "they will board the plane and cart you off to prison for your debt". And if you do not pay your debts you will end up on some secret list of "fraudsters". Where did the crossover from a debtor to a fraudster occur?

What a load of old tosh:biglaugh:

Guest ReadyPenny

Here Here! Was just thinking that myself. What a load of tosh!!!!! I have worked in debt for a long long time and I know exactly what happens and it is this that my first response was based upon. Facts not fiction!!! I am not suggesting that it is ok to leave debts etc but what I am saying is the reality is you CAN leave them and get away with it. It did give me a good laugh though reminded me of my Enid Blyton days!

Guest ReadyPenny

Kirk and Co

Just interested - not seen a thread on debt before. Why are they usually closed down? Do they generally get heated then?

Guest ReadyPenny

Cheers for that! I am just generally nosey! Will watch out for them with caution in future. Dont want any warning cards from the mods!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie

I think it's probably getting a bit silly here,,the immigration authority has no power to detain anyone for a private debt,and that applies in any country,if the debt is due to criminal activity like embezzlement then that's a different story,but even then they require a court order,credit cards are issued by the member organisations of visa and mastercardnot visa and mastercard themselves so the reality is that you can leave debt behind,but it would be very unwise to do so because although you can't be pursued beyond the border of any country for debts incurred in that country the truth is that large financial institutions have global computer systems and they can make life very difficult for you,because even though yourr credit file is specific to a country if you were,as I explained in a precious post,to apply for a credit card using your correct name and ID ,and you had debts owing to that company,even overseas,they can quite legally deny you credit without having to give a reason other than that you dont meet the required lending criteria.

So no,you won't be taken off aircraft in handcuffs,but things can be difficult ,so best to make an arrangment to pay before you go..

The OP was after peoples views.

But why?? You would start a thread without a personal interest in the topic would you? and then jump down the throat of someone that made that connection? I believe the OP is either seriously in debt and looking for an easy escape, doing an college essay on debt, or (most probable) lighting the blue touch paper and standing back and waiting for the fireworks.:biglaugh:

The OP states that they aren't in debt so why the sudden interest? and why the holier than thou attitude?

Oh and Adelaide has no 'r' in it.:biglaugh:

Pete

So let's say you have no morals then... just suppose.... you could let's say a week or so departing for Oz go shopping and take out a whole load of store cards and and buy all the furniture, computers, televisions, jewelry etc etc and leave for Oz... make sure you don't return for 8 years and you have justed kitted out your new pad down under for free.... I can see why some people may be tempted.!

But not me, my morals are not quite that loose..!

James...

Why didn't i think of that :biggrin:

Credit ( or debt, as many call it ) is nothing more than a verbal but usually written agreement that you will loan money now and pay it back in the future.

It's a contract. Just like a mortgage, credit card debt is very serious business.

Anyone who leaves debt behind takes HUGE risks. First of all they never can return to that country, but even worse if you ever decide to go to let's say France and you have a debt in UK, and your plane gets diverted due to whatever reason and you end up landing in the UK, they will board your plane and take you out, cuff you up and you go directly to jail until you paid off your debts. Not a nice way to start a holiday I guess. This can even happen 20 years later, and it will be all added up to interest. On top of this, I wouldn't be surprised if western countries ( like Australia / Europe / USA and some Asian countries like Japan and Hong-Kong etc ) sign a treaty to get rid of this problem. This can be 5 years from now, but it's bound to happen with globalization. European countries already have this treaty and there's no way to have a debt in The Netherlands and get away with it in France or Germany. It won't be long before this is worldwide. And what do you do then? Run to Thailand ? Until they sign the treaty too.

No, it will haunt you forever, like someone said : Karma will get you in the end.

Also, keep in mind that transferring debt from company to other companies is big business. What if Visa buys your debt ? That means you will never be able to get ANY form of credit , EVER again. Not with Visa, not with Mastercard, not with banks.

Don't think that banks / CC companies don't have black lists, because THEY DO. I have personally seen them. Huge databases full of fraudsters... If you're on there you never get off ... your life will be pretty much cash the rest of your life. No mortgage means no house, ever, and no credit card means you cannot even hire a car in the USA or book a hotel. Good luck with that :)

What a load of old tosh !

Archived