Wanted down under...from another perspective.

joetrac

Having returned from Oz 2 month ago living there for just over 2 years I have read with intrest all the threads on the above program.

I can honestly say from my experiance in Oz I feel the program reflects the australian lifestyle in a true way.I have heard many many times that people want a "better" lifestyle ....by this some mean bigger house ,smaller mortgage ,shorter working hours and australia will not always be able to offer this.

Surley it is more realistic that a % of people will choose not to move... after all we all know that we will not be able to spend all day at the beach....real life continues and if you cant get a better house etc then for some the move will not be worth it.

If people are really serious about emigrating I cant see a Tv program influencing there decision...but it might hightlight a few problems they may find along the way ... not everyone will think australia is a better place to live than the Uk.

Guest PommieLady

I was talking with my OH about this yesterday following the thread re wages and a family 'surviving' on $55k. He said that we had bought into so many of the myths, being able to work part time, less commuting, better work conditions etc and how wrong we were on so many things.

• The sun is very strong and will have you running for the shade not the beach, we used the beach far more in the UK for walking our dogs.
  • If one of us worked part time I know it wouldn't be me (earn to much) we would have to make some sacrifices (that'd be me again)
  • Commuting is more a part of life than it is in the UK especially if you live metro
  • Workers rights have been eroded here not improved
  • There are just as many bludgers claiming benefits
  • No one has a tan
  • Food is not cheaper
  • Alcohol is the same price
  • Lack of ecological responsibility
  • Obesity (WA)
  • Fast food (WA)

Blimey I better stop otherwise I'll be wondering what I'm doing here :biglaugh:

There are lots of positives for me here in TAS, less stressful job, hardly any traffic and relatively relaxed driving, friendly, community oriented, less travel time, less crime, fab property and land with views that we would never have been able to afford in the UK, close to the beach, city, mountains, river and bush, short trip to Sydney and Melbourne (and cheap) proper town centre, great scenery and of course great wine :biggrin:

I've only watched a bit of WDU so can't comment, but anything that puts a realistic spin on what could be the biggest decision of your (and your family's) life and helps dispel the mythical Australian lifestyle that originated in the propaganda of the 1950's & 60's is a good thing.

Guest snow white

im halfway through watching series 3 of wanted down under so will come back on thread to give an opinion on it when ive watched it all so far though it aint looking any good to motivate me to move to oz if i was in uk that is , the first series i watched was great and i waited every morning for it to start recorded it to watch all over again when oh got in from work thats how great i thought it was

lesleyx

Hi all,

Also, I think it depends where you are in your process and thinking.

I think once you've decided to 'go for it', the reality sets in and you start to think about many more aspects of the move. So I think the more realistic programme highlights the potential problems we're all thinking and worrying about. This series just goes into more realistic details.

Sue x

Guest Libby1971

I have said elsewhere that from what I have gleaned from others' comments, the problem is not with WDU being negative, it is that there is no balance.

I feel it is wise to advise people wanting to move here that bills don't just vanish, and life is just the same here. It is just a bit sunnier. For some that will be enough but for those wishing to escape to something better, Australia probably isn't it.

Archived