carpenters in oz

chippy2

:twitcy:to all you carpenters out there wanting to come out to this land of dreams,my advice is dont there is no work about at all.have been trying for 4 months,you will see jobs advertised especially with recruitment agencys but in reallity theres nothing,how do i know because iam here and thinking of going back home.a lot of talk about recession and know for a fact aussies will give aussies jobs before us poms.best advice i can give is wait till things pick back up or spend thousands like me and learn the hard way,its up to you:arghh:

Guest Rickard Family

I don't believe it, it's taken us a year to sell our bloody house and now theres no work to go to anyway!

what distance surrounding you have you checked? please feel free to lie i just want to get to OZ...lol

Cheers

Lou x

dont mean to be the bearer of bad news,but tried all over.sent loads of resumes off and have only evey heard back from 2.you never know you migth be luckier than me,but this recession talk dosnt help.you will find more threads on here from other chippys,just trying to help:embarrassed:

Guest Rickard Family

Thanks...not your fault, trying so hard to get there but seems that at the minute we are better off here....Clint still in well paid job, mortgage repayments have come down because interest rates have droppped.....but we have always said we are not going to OZ to be rich, but we are going to need a income to support 4 kids.

I hope something turns up for you soon and please keep me posted!

Lou x

just saying as learnt the hard way,if you have a secure job i recomend staying there till things pick back up,as for me i think iam homeward bound as i have better prospects back home and if not can claim benefits,over here you need to have been here 2 years:wink:

Guest brooksey

I agree. If you have a good job (or any job) i'd stay in Uk until things pick up. I've been on gold coast for 4 months and found no job. You leave your number or send resemes and never here anything back. I'm staying here and riding it out as UK has no work either and there are blue skies and ocean over here.

:notworthy:

I agree. If you have a good job (or any job) i'd stay in Uk until things pick up. I've been on gold coast for 4 months and found no job. You leave your number or send resemes and never here anything back. I'm staying here and riding it out as UK has no work either and there are blue skies and ocean over here.

as a fellow chippy,wish you the best of luck brooksey and how did you go on with the licence good i hope,was thinking about it myself but after a lot of thinking decided on going home,know work is quiet but still going home with a deposit for a house,will find work as had a good reputation so should be able to ride out the downturn.and at least if i dont get a job it wont be because iam english,so back to yorkshire and proper food:laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen

There are lots of carpentry jobs in Melbourne at the minute and a family who have just moved over had 12 interviews to attend, he only went to 3 and played off one against the other for the best wage. Also I think Trudy (Herbies) husband had quite a few interviews and started a job almost immediately.

Guest Rickard Family

It's hard to know what to do for the best....might be worth asking around for other states?

I think either way we will proceed with the sale of our house because even though the mortgage has came down we still have quite a high one due to using equity to buy a rental....which fortunately has a very good return and didn't want to sell it as it is our pension ( if market picks up in a few years!)

Hope you both find work soon chippy and brooksey, and thanks for heads up moving2melbourne:notworthy:.

Lou x

Hi, i am a brickie and there has not been work to apply for and all contacts have dried up in the U.K and that is after 20 yrs in the trade and with a good reputation, i am now facing the dilema of do i move to Oz and take my chances or stay in the U.K where there is no work to be had? Origionally looked at Queensland/Perth however would be open to Adelaide NSW to get a start!!

Guest Chrissy
Thanks...not your fault, trying so hard to get there but seems that at the minute we are better off here....Clint still in well paid job, mortgage repayments have come down because interest rates have droppped.....but we have always said we are not going to OZ to be rich, but we are going to need a income to support 4 kids.

I hope something turns up for you soon and please keep me posted!

Lou x

At the moment I would sit tight there, if I knew the job market was like this I wouldnt have dragged my family to the other side of the world!!!:sad:

Hi, i am a brickie and there has not been work to apply for and all contacts have dried up in the U.K and that is after 20 yrs in the trade and with a good reputation, i am now facing the dilema of do i move to Oz and take my chances or stay in the U.K where there is no work to be had? Origionally looked at Queensland/Perth however would be open to Adelaide NSW to get a start!!

hia jollyswagman think us chippys and brickies are in the same boat at the minute,it is tigth here and with been british even harder,there should be some post on here or british expats that should be able to help you,but thats up to you its a big decission,i can only recommend staying put until things pick back up at least at home if theres no work you can claim and do the odd guvvy here you cant so money goes quick.hope this helps:wink:

Guest Working to fish

Don't listen to me too much as i'm in a bit of a bad mood.

Work situation isn't all that great. I can purely and honestly only talk about what i've known over the last 12 months.

Next week we will have been here for 1 year. When we first arrived there were, without exaggerating 3 pages of jobs in the Brisbane Courier for carpenters and joiners. If you now look you'll be lucky to find the odd one or two of which has been advertised for a very long time as nobody wants those jobs.

I've had 2 main jobs since arriving and always felt lucky as work was plentiful. I've now been laid off due to a lack of work. Also, and you may want to shoot me for saying this, i don't think my accent fitted the bill. Make of this what you will, i'm just being bloody honest. I have been pondering the last few days of going self-employed but again, being totally honest, there's so many aussie tradees fighting for work who will they pick first!

I have decided to chuck on my trousers and shirt and spend the day tomorrow cold calling on businesses to see if there is any work going.

I'm not trying to put anyone off coming to oz. I gave up a very profitable, busy business back in uk, to fulfil our dreams of coming to oz. I see this recession/quiet patch as a set back for us as a family, but i am buggered if we've spent all this money, time and energy to give up just yet.

Yes, it's tough, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

eddie

Guest Working to fish
hi there eddie what is it you do are you a chippie ? cheers

I would call myself a joiner ,furniture make ,carpenter, been in the trade 20 years ,started as a joiner/furniture maker and also with in the city and guilds that i went though i also learned site carpentry.over the 20 odd years i have been working i have done lots of work in the workshop and site. What really gets my goat is that a bloody joiner/furniture maker here is called a cabinet maker .

Cabinet makers in oz are people who make white boxes .This really gets to me:realmad:.I had to do a 2 year city and guilds course with an extra 2 years training on top.Now what i am getting at is that over here you dont find many companies that work with solid timber. When you get here it takes some time to realise this.

So to answer your question i am a joiner ,can make windows ,door ect.

Furniture maker can make furniture from soild timber ,not bloody white boxs lol.

Carpentry ,can fit windows ,doors ,floors,even cut roofs.

eddie

cant speak with an ozzie accent tho:laugh:

eddie

Pm me and i will send you my web page from the uk.

Guest Daz&Jue

Hi

There isnt alot of work and you need so many licences , and the goverment have pulled the funding towards the licences , which now can cost upto $4000

I wish a new all this before we got here!

• 1 year later...
Guest david60

thankyou so much so we are not alone my husband even got an e.mail saying we only employ australias or new zealanders well I never thought it was like that here when most of aussies came from England first off all and I thought they where so friendly not

Guest siamsusie

thankyou so much so we are not alone my husband even got an e.mail saying we only employ australias or new zealanders well I never thought it was like that here when most of aussies came from England first off all and I thought they where so friendly not
:cute:really? Isnt that against the law?? just wondering Susie

Guest david60

we have tried everywhere near woolongong and sydney and agencies give you hope but all in all aussies just want u to spend and spend on courses to get certficate and even 4 thousand doller coures and there may not even be a job at the end of it so expericence does not come into it

Archived