Adelaide Help

Guest kinda

Hi, I'm new to PiA, Me, my husband and two children are moving to Adelaide in sept and could do with some advice on where to rent, while we settle in. My husband will probably be working as an engineer in Edinburgh, and want a nice family area to rent while we look around for an area to buy a house.

I have read that Elizabeth is not a great area?

Please help. Any suggestions?

Janine x

Guest donovan

Hiya to both of you and WELCOME TO PIO, can not speak for Adelaide as I live on the Gold Coast, I am sure some one will be along to help with your question or you could try \

PomsInAdelaide

hope this helps

Sarah x

Cheers.... Much wanted the Gold Ccoast, and Perth etc. But my visa options are limited and therefore have to soak up a few years in SA to satify the visa requirements. We`ve had the benifit of backpacking for 8 months in Oz (2004) so maybe not as itchy to travel and see it all as soon as we land.

- Prob rental first and suss out the systems etc before committing to morgages etc.

- My job (Architectural Technician) is not in demand so dependant on how different the system is, and also what available.

But agreed its the best way to chat to other memebers to get a feel of whats what.. You just never know what advice may present itself next!???

Hi guys,

We live in Morphett Vale which is south of the city. We love it here. We have heard horror stories of areas not to go to but to be honest we haven't seen anything to put us off living in any district.

As for where you want to live it comes down to three things in my mind. Schools, work, lifestyle.

Work is the biggy to consider as most people here work longer hours than those in the UK. Therefore you will want to cut down on commuting by living reasonably close to where you will be working. This will give you a radius in which to find a school (if you have children). But don't forget your time off though. Do you want to live in the hills with some lovely parks and walks. By the coast where you will find some of the best beaches around. You may prefer city living, etc, etc, etc.

Google Earth is the way to go. Work out where you will be likely to be working. Make a list of all the suburbs within a commutable distance. Book a short term rental for at least a month and use this time to drive into these areas and see for yourself.

www.adelaidebound.com is a good start in finding a short term rental, schools, and everything really.

Another good starting point is RentalsInOz.com - Home

I would also recommend looking on PomsInAdelaide and contacting in no specific order... 'Tyke', 'Roo1' or 'guzzler&Sas' We stayed short term with two of these and they were so helpful. The other one we know do a very similar service and are also often recommended.

Good luck

Pete

Guest tinbasher

Hi guys

If your husband has a job in Edinburgh your really don't want to be South of the city as the journey will be a long one everyday. You have heard right Elizabeth is one to stay clear of as is Salisbury, Parafield Gardens and Paralowie (the link is of a map of that area). map of edinburgh South Australia - Google Maps

Nice areas around there are Greenwith, Golden Grove and Mawson Lakes. Further up North they are just building a lot of new houses in Virginia although it is further a field and as yet not many things are happening in that area, but the land is still reasonable priced.

Hope that helps a little.

Mrs TinB.

Guest tinbasher

Hi guys

If your husband has a job in Edinburgh your really don't want to be South of the city as the journey will be a long one everyday. You have heard right Elizabeth is one to stay clear of as is Salisbury, Parafield Gardens and Paralowie (the link is of a map of that area).

map of edinburgh South Australia - Google Maps

Nice areas around there are Greenwith, Golden Grove and Mawson Lakes. Further up North they are just building a lot of new houses in Virginia although it is further a field and as yet not many things are happening in that area, but the land is still reasonable priced.

Hope that helps a little.

Mrs TinB.

Guest babybear

Interested in this thread too, keeping a close eye on the replies. Thanks for the information given so far.

Lorraine x

Guest julesem

Hi, I work for the local council in Elizabeth, I will offer some areas to perhaps live.

I live in the western subs,and it takes me 40-50 mins to get to or from work. They have just made improvements to the Port Wakefield Road and are doing a huge extention from this road over towards Gawler, so travel times should cut down.

Near to Edinburgh, better areas are Hillbank, Blakeview and some of Craigmore. If you want rural Then Angle Vale, Virginia and One Tree Hill. The last one being expensive, more of a village appeal, good primary school. Virginia has many market garden areas round it, very flat area and looks a bit run down in places.

Most of Blakeview is only a few years old, with new developments going up still here. Has a good state primary school, and high schools close by. Shopping facilities are good, all major stores, as well as DIY, furniture, in Elizabeth and Munno Para.

The area has one of the best hospitals.

Anything else you need to ask just email me.

Jules

Guest emmajojo

G'day Janine,, Basically you will get what you pay for - renting/buying. The cheaper areas will generally be a working (or non-working in some cases) class and the more expensive areas will generally be middle class which would be similar to all over the world - no one talks about 'society classes' here (except when whispering !) but it does exist, remember our ancestors were British and their society was built on the class system and we are no different even today..

Hi Janine

Although we are in the UK my husband is an Aussie and his family live in Adelaide. He says to add Mawson Lakes to the mix as well. There are some nice areas in Salisbury, Paralowie and Elizabeth area too, as well as more run down older areas. I think its best to have a look see first if you can, because one mans meat etc..also depends where youve lived in the UK and what youre used to here.....

His Mum had a rental in Elizabeth Vale with an inground pool, close to shops and the Lyell McEwin Hospital and only about 7 minutes drive to Edinburgh, and there was never any trouble etc there. All depends what you want to pay too. Scour the property rentals websites, but really you won't know until you see for yourself.

Archived