Car tax etc

Guest jacobs creek

Guest jacobs creek

What requirements are needed when you have a car? Do they have car tax? and is car insurance similarly priced to the UK? Is it more or less expensive to run a car in QLD?

Thanks

Mel

Guest Anna .s

hi mel,

yes we have rego here, which is the same as uk car tax. rego covers you if you injure somebody.then we have full comp insurance in case we hit another car. or should i say if i hit another car. heeee heee. i would says ends up costing the same as uk. anna

Your Rego is like UK Tax but contains a compulsary 3 rd party insurance. I have a 2005 mitsubushi 2lt lancer and the rego is just over $500 pr year. I choose to also have fully comprehensive insurance on top which again is just over $500 yr.

Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest James.S

Hi, i just bought a cheap runneround in Sydney last week, it cost me $4000, as i do not have an address as we are travelling up the coast to work out where to settle we arranged a 'care of post office'... This is a fantastic service over here that allows you to recieve post, bank stuff, or car stuff etc, without having an address, to register a car you therefore need an address...! Just go to any post office, and tell them you are going to have post sent there, they will keep if for you for a month, you can then have it sent for free to wherever you then are..! brilliant...!

So to register the car, i just gave them that, my passport, my UK drivers licence, the paperwork from the dealer and a reference from an Australian with a full driving license to say that they knew me... oh and to part with $157, to register it and a 3% tax...

All very easy....

The best thing is that for $40 (£20) i can fill the car up..! in the uk it would have cost around $160 (£80)....

All the best..

James...

Archived