emmigrating with a Dog......

Guest the whitworths

Guest the whitworths

a little advice please..

have you emmigrated with a dog? How easy was it and does he need a specific visa?

a little advice please!

:err:

hello very easy , if you want to take your dog, we are taking our dog to perth in march, we are using golden arrow shippers , shropshire 01 588 680 240.

make sure you chat to your vet , and talk about the bloods the dog will have to have prior to shipment (30 days) they usually have to knock of the lepto part of the booster that they have done annually before this,, as this can show high levels when the bloods are taken and they have to be retested.

we chose golden arrow as we wanted to use our own vets as they are nr and they do all the things for shipping and pet passports etc , some will not, best to check in which case you will prob use a company that does all from start to finish.

i do believe you can do a lot of it yourself , but we did not want to ... check out the thread "dog walking in quarentine" lots more help and advice on the thread, all the best.x if i can help any more pm me.

Guest PommieLady

Try this recent thread

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/general-dilemmas/47051-dog-walking-quarantine.html?highlight=dogs

I think you'll find a lot of your questions answered on there.

I bought two dogs with us, check what your dogs really need to come over, they don't need everything for the pet passport unless you are bringing them back.

Guest Allo Allo

Taking your pet to Australia

Taking the family pet with you when you emigrate can be a complicated process, especially if you don't know the process of shipping an animal overseas. Australia is a rabies-free country, and the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Services (AQIS) ensure it remains so.

Essentially, all pets travelling to Australia will be required to enter quarantine for some time before being admitted fully to Australia. The duration of your pet's quarantine period will be dependent on the country of origin, as well as the timing of vaccinations and tests to your pet. However, please be advised that the minimum stay in quarantine is for 30 days.

Additionally, you are advised to book your pet into a quarantine station at least 5 months before you plan to bring your pet into Australia as many stations run at full capacity throughout the year and places can be limited. More information on the AQIS is available from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service website.

For more information on shipping your pet abroad, Jets4Pets can provide comprehensive assistance. They can handle all of the necessary procedures for you, including health checks and vaccinations. Visit the Jets4Pets website for more information, or contact them directly via the details below:

Tel : 0845 408 0298

Email: enquiries@jets4pets.com

Guest Allo Allo

Hope that helps - don't underestimate the cost though - it's more expensive to get a pet over there than yourself, but worth every penny I'm sure. We will have to do the same thing, so I'll keep in touch to see how you get on :)

Guest spottymercedes

If you use a company like Golden Arrow or my personal heroes, Pet Air, then it is not complicated at all. They will do it all for you, all you need to do is communicate with them. You obviously have to pay quite a bit for their services, but most people like the reassurance that companies like this provide. They will get your import permits sorted for you, they will book flights and quarantine and do blood tests and checks for you, unless you opt to use your own vet as Sharon has done (the andrews), for the bloods.

Loads of us have brought our dogs out with us and have not had any problems at all. Good Luck!

We are taking our black lab with us but havnt looked into what needs to be done yet. Our friends emigrated 4 years ago with their 2 border terriers - just a word of warning for when you do get your dog there - nodbody warned them but they moved to queensland and one of their dogs was killed by attacking a Kane toad (nobody had warned them about these). Apparently they are really dangerous to dogs and if the dog goes to bite it they can fill the dogs lungs and in effect they drown. I dont know whether they are just in the queensland area or all over oz but they tend to come out when it gets dusk. luckily their other dog survived and they keep him in when it gets dusk but they paid a fortune to get them both out there and they were only there a couple of weeks when this happened and nobody had warned them about these toads. just thought i would mention this as I know how I would feel if anything happened to our dog!

val xx

Guest Allo Allo

Good to know Val - I have a border terrier too and they are naturally playful and dig a lot, so that type of breed will no doubt come into contact with lots of weird and wonderful creatures. Spottymercedes, thanks for your advice too. Bye :)

Archived