ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest sunshinegirl

Has anyone applied as 'defacto' instead of spouse

Guest sunshinegirl

Hi All

Would really appreciate your help.

My boyfiend and I (of nearly 5 yrs) are looking to emigrate. My parents are currently in queensland as investor retirement visa holders (over 4 yrs now) which i sadly know cant help us.

Due to my employment - as an insurance broker, i do not think i get 120 points but my boyfriend (estimator) is fine. We are looking to go either general skilled migration (i think its 175) or him to be sponseed.

we were wondering if anyone has applied as 'de-facto' spouse.... he has not yet proposed! haha and looking at all options... i dont know whether they look on this any negatively compared to married??

we are aged 26 and 27, speak fluent english of course, have both worked in our trades for over 3 yrs as required and want to move to queensland.... any help would be much appreciated.

planning on going to oz in feb for interviews but nothing booked as i want to be more certain i can get in.... x

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Hello :)

It's as a "Defacto" that I'm applying too, and I am assured that it's no different. My fiance is an Aussie though - I'm not sure how it works if you're both English. As far as I was aware though, to go on any of the "family" Visas, someone in the family/relationship needs to be an Aussie (whether by birth or by immigration).

If you can get a job out there, I think your prospective employer can sponsor you though - it proves you'll have income etc etc. I am sure others on the forums will know about that =)

I had some questions about which Visa etc and I emailed the Immigration people through their website (free, as opposed to £1 per min on the phone) and they were quick to reply and very helpful. Perhaps this might be an option?

Otherwise, I'm sure you've found the visa wizard? Australian Visa wizard - Visas & Immigration

Defacto App sent 2nd March 09, C/O contact 18th March 09, VISA GRANTED!! 20th March 09

(For complete timeline see blog)

Sunshinegirl I think you mean that you want to be added to your boyfriend's visa application, right?

If that is what you meant then yes you can be added as a de facto spouse, but you do have to make sure that you can prove that you have been together in a genuine relationship no less than 12 months.

If you do not have enough proof to meet the de facto requirements (the requirements are the same as if you were applying for a de facto visa in the family visa stream) then marriage will definitely be a better option. Once you are married a wedding certificate is just about all you need. Well not quite, but it is much easier to accept that you are in a genuine and continuing relationship if you are married.

Cheers,

Veronika

​Migration Consultant

Registered Migration Agent Number: 0301155

info@sortoutmyvisa.com

Guest sunshinegirl

Hi

Thanks for ure posts. We are both English and I feel we could put enuf evidence of relationship. It is sadly more finances than anything stopping the marriage. Emmigrating then marriage!

I apprec de facto for Aussie partner is alot more straight forward but from what I can see on the web there is nothing stopping us doing it as two English people.

The main reason 4 asking is that I was quite surprised I only scored 100 on the points system. But if we apply as a couple I can be secondary applicant on my bf's form.

Once again thanks for ure help I am new to this despite talking about since I went to I'd on working hols visa to visit my parents in 2004. Let's hope it all works out.

Good luck with you application furball!

g

Guest Lulu3

Hi there

My OH applied for a spouse visa on 15 December. Everything was front loaded. Within 3 days we received an email to say that he had a case officer. Since then we have heard nothing. Is this usual?

We assume we will have to have an interview either in London or by phone. Can anyone give us any information on this e.g. types of questions etc. If it is a phone interview, will we get some sort of prior warning?

Any information on what happens now would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lulu

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Abi6635
        Me and my partner are applying for a skills visa. Both of us have wanted skills, my partner is the main person applying for the visa and I am going on his partner. We have been together for 6 years, we haven’t lived together and we don’t have a joint bank account. We currently live between our parents houses as we are saving to emigrate. We have evidence through photos, flight tickets, statements from friends. What is needed to ensure the visa will be granted? What else can we submit as evidence? Has anyone applied for a visa in a similar situation who could help?
        thanks! 
      • By ellemorrison
        Hello
        Somebody with knowledge please advise. I'm a stressed out Brit living in Paris, France with my Australian Partner. We are in a de facto relationship. Been living together for over 4yrs now.
        He has been offered a job in Sydney, Australia and we plan to move over there in 2 months time.  3 days ago, i applied for a tourist visa (subclass600) so that I can be with my partner while we wait for the processing of my Partner Visa. I intend to lodge the Partner Visa in the next few days offshore, here in Paris before we leave.
        I understand that I wont be able to work or have rights while on this tourist visa 600.  I also understand that I have to leave Australia to be granted the Partner Visa when processed.
        I was told by someone on these forums that as a British citizen, it was best to go for an ETA and apply for the Partner Visa onshore. I'm afraid waiting till we get to Australia is risky and my documents will be a little dated. I have all my documents and evidence ready to apply for the Partner onshore.
        Anyway, its too late now, I have already applied for the Tourist Visa 600. Have a completely messed up?
      • By MrsWayLay17
        Hello,
        I am new here but have been a lurker for a few weeks.  I am an Australian citizen who has been living in the UK with my now-husband for 15 years (i am a dual citizen). We got married last month in Queensland and have now come back to the UK. We've decided to move to Australia permanently with our two children in 2019 and I wanted to get the ball rolling with his visa. 

Am i right in thinking that he applies NOW for his temp visa ... which then eventually will turn into the permanent one? I can apply for this visa now even though we won't be there for another 19 months?  Our children will have citizenship via me so i won't need to do anything with them besides get their Aust passports sorted out.
        If anyone else has done this, i'd love to hear from you. I understand the visas can take up to 3 years to obtain so now is a good time to start right??  Do some people wait until they're IN Australia? $7,000 is a lot of money! 

Thank you for reading! 
      • By Cootsy88
        Hi,

ive just completed my medical on wednesday and got an updated on emedical saying completed, on all 3 things. And on the immi website saying that "health clearance provided- no action needed".  
        I won't get a case officer probably for another 5 months, but was told to do my medical  by a friend after 4 months of submitting my defacto visa
        I'm a bit worried about the medical it says that I'm good just now until a co is assigned, but do you know if I had a serious disease that they would tell me or wait until co is assigned, like if I had hiv, and they tell me 5 months down the line that my visa is refused I'd be a bit pissed of as it's a serious disease 

thanks
      • By Ross Hopwood
        Hey, all. This is my first time ever writing on a forum, let's see how it goes  
        Just to give you a brief overview - I am a British Expat living in Dubai and have done so for the past 8 years. My partner, also British, is a permanent resident in Australia. We have been together for 3 years now surviving as a long distance couple, travelling back and forth to see each other. But it's time now that one of us makes the move, and it's going to be me moving there. I will be moving there sometime early 2018 on a working/holiday visa to start, with the hope of gathering enough evidence to submit an application for the partner visa. I've seen a lot on forums about the partner visa but never seen much of it done through the working/holiday visa. We will start off living with his Mum up until we can afford to rent or buy somewhere. I understand that I will need to be data gathering constantly to show that we in a strong, stable relationship and that I genuinely what to live there. 
        So, what I really need is some advice on lodging my application for the partner visa whilst I am on the working/holiday visa.... The time scale in which I need to send our application through (straight away, 6 months, 1 Year?.... What evidence we really need to be focusing on gathering.... Any temporary visas/bridging visas I can apply for to enable me to seek full-time employment.... Anything else you think I should know that can guide me in the process. 
        All advice is greatly received, and I look forward to hearing from some of you  
        Ross