Dilemma

Guest benedict1

Guest benedict1

Just joined this forum so hello to all.:smile:

Hmm, where do I start?!

Well, have PR Visa, Have job, can't sell house in UK thus STILL in UK (Aargh!)

My dilemma is: Did reckie in PERTH, got job in Perth and now feeling that we have made the wrong choice of destination. Has anyone else done this? We are sooo confused now.

have Hubby and two teenage children (15 and 18)

Having been to Perth, feel that it is rather isolated (yes I knew that before we went) and that there really isn't a lot for teens, soon to be adults (no, didn't know that before we went)

Tried to do an advantage/disadvantage list. Main problem is that we have done more research around WA than we have around Queensland and don't relish the thought of months and months of more research. (Not lazy, honest!)

We just wondered if anybody had done the same and what their feelings were on the matter. We would really appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.:unsure:

Guest fruitcakechic

Hi Benedict1, just read your post. We had the same dilemma last year however have decided on Brisbane, my son is 13. We only arrived last week, however we have achieved loads. We have decided to settle in the gold coast, which is only 30 mins south of Brisbane. We have secured a rental home (loads to choose from).. We just went into several real estate offices and took it from there.. The private schools here are much less expensive than in the UK, we have opted for that for our son. So far so good any questions you have I will be happy to help if I can.

Fruitcakechic

Guest benedict1
Hi Benedict1, just read your post. We had the same dilemma last year however have decided on Brisbane, my son is 13. We only arrived last week, however we have achieved loads. We have decided to settle in the gold coast, which is only 30 mins south of Brisbane. We have secured a rental home (loads to choose from).. We just went into several real estate offices and took it from there.. The private schools here are much less expensive than in the UK, we have opted for that for our son. So far so good any questions you have I will be happy to help if I can.

Fruitcakechic

Thankyou very much for your reply.

Glad you are settling in!

Yes, Private Schools are less expensive. I hear the Catholic schools have high standards both educationally and morally.

We are looking at the Sunshine Coast. I did have a VERY short look around the Gold Coast when I did my Reccie three years ago. It IS very difficult choosing areas and very confusing.

Do you have a job yet? Other half?

Thanks for your offer of help, that's very kind.

Regards:smile:

Guest fruitcakechic

Hi, I have a job at Royal Brisbane hospital, my husband has interviews this week and next, so fingers crossed he is sucessful. I start work o 19th Jan so still time to hit the beaches and get a wee tan.....

Guest benedict1
Hi, I have a job at Royal Brisbane hospital, my husband has interviews this week and next, so fingers crossed he is sucessful. I start work o 19th Jan so still time to hit the beaches and get a wee tan.....

Ooh! I am looking at the Mater. I am a Midwife and looking at Group Practice (Community to you and I. lol)

Glad you can hit the beaches. The weather is atrocious here!

Guest benedict1
I posted on another thread about suburbs handy to the Mater if you are interested.

Thanks. Will take a look. Trying to get my head around this site at the mo. lol

We had a similar dilemma and were initially going to head for Perth. We decided it was too isolated and after travelling the east coast on a reckie we fell in love with the sunshine coast. My wife is also fortunately a nurse so you can live virtually anywhere and still get work! Personally I wouldn't waste that opportunity and live in a city and miss out on the best parts of this amazing country. You may find a lot of the things you were trying to get away from (traffic, overcrowding, unfriendly people) will still be in the major cities. It depends what your vision of life in oz is? For us it was climate, outdoor lifestyle, work to live rather than live to work.

Since settling here we have travelled to Perth and south west WA. It is nice but after a weeks touring we had done most of the best bits (and the flies and mozzies are really annoying!) What a lot of people don't know is that it is then very expensive to fly over to the east coast ($400 each way) whereas living over this side there is so much more to see and do at a reasonable cost.

BTW the climate here is great, 300+ days of sunshine a year, a little humid this time of the year but you only have to look at the weather back home and you soon stop whinging!

hi there hope your well,we are heading to brisbane,dont know where yet,can you reccomend any areas tht are nice and any areas to avoid,i will be looking for work asa a sparky,,,also what sort of price do you pay for a 4 bed place on a rental,,,many thanks steve

Guest earlswood
Just joined this forum so hello to all.:smile:

Hmm, where do I start?!

Well, have PR Visa, Have job, can't sell house in UK thus STILL in UK (Aargh!)

My dilemma is: Did reckie in PERTH, got job in Perth and now feeling that we have made the wrong choice of destination. Has anyone else done this? We are sooo confused now.

have Hubby and two teenage children (15 and 18)

Having been to Perth, feel that it is rather isolated (yes I knew that before we went) and that there really isn't a lot for teens, soon to be adults (no, didn't know that before we went)

Tried to do an advantage/disadvantage list. Main problem is that we have done more research around WA than we have around Queensland and don't relish the thought of months and months of more research. (Not lazy, honest!)

We just wondered if anybody had done the same and what their feelings were on the matter. We would really appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.:unsure:

If you found Perth boring after a reccie how do you think you will find it after 12 months...I would research lively areas especially as your kids will soon be adults.

I think if you bring kids up in Perth they will find it OK but to take an 18 year old used to the UK they might find it a bit boring IMO.

Guest sunseekers

Seems to be a common trend.....we were initially heading to Perth then with research made the change to Brissy / Sunshine coast. Not quite sure exactly where yet though,Its kinda looking like either Caloundra or North lakes though.

Its better for you to find out now than when things get more complicated when your already there. As a nurse you can get employment anywhere.

Im sure your kids will thank you too...Perth has a rep for being a bit dull. ( sorry peeps from perth )

Colette x

Guest earlswood
Seems to be a common trend.....we were initially heading to Perth then with research made the change to Brissy / Sunshine coast. Not quite sure exactly where yet though,Its kinda looking like either Caloundra or North lakes though.

Its better for you to find out now than when things get more complicated when your already there. As a nurse you can get employment anywhere.

Im sure your kids will thank you too...Perth has a rep for being a bit dull. ( sorry peeps from perth )

Colette x

Good thing is that Oz is so big that you can move anywhere you want when you get there.

Guest benedict1
If you found Perth boring after a reccie how do you think you will find it after 12 months...I would research lively areas especially as your kids will soon be adults.

I think if you bring kids up in Perth they will find it OK but to take an 18 year old used to the UK they might find it a bit boring IMO.

You are absolutely right! That comment actually puts thing into perspective.

Love the piccy btw!

:smile:

Guest benedict1

Colette x

Thanks Colette.

I went to North Lakes when I was out there. It is very nice. It depends on what you are looking for. It seemed to be a large estate with lots of English people living there.

Caloundra was fantastic! I loved it there.Property was expensive and quite a touristy area so might (but not sure) get busy during holiday season?

Guest tamba 1

HI to you,

Im in the same sitaution, thought a more milder climate would be better, and thought Perth was the answer, but since been told the weather can be very cold..

not what I want at all,

its so hard, I know how you feel,,,,

think I will look at the brisbane area, now too:eek:

Guest benedict1
HI to you,

Im in the same sitaution, thought a more milder climate would be better, and thought Perth was the answer, but since been told the weather can be very cold..

not what I want at all,

its so hard, I know how you feel,,,,

think I will look at the brisbane area, now too:eek:

We did our reccie in August (Winter) I have to say, the weather was quite pleasant. Warm enough for short sleeved shirt in day but did need a coat at night. NOTHING near as cold as UK though.

We did our reccie in August (Winter) I have to say, the weather was quite pleasant. Warm enough for short sleeved shirt in day but did need a coat at night. NOTHING near as cold as UK though.

Totally agree - we were here two weeks in July (i.e the middle of winter) it was 18 most days, we had picnics, we got sunburnt :twitcy: , it only rained once BUT I did freeze at night - no central heating! It got down to about 5 degrees - in Scotland I used to think it was a 'mild' morning if it was above zero

Jules

Archived