Healesville Victoria

Bod

Hi, we have driven through Healesville and went to the animal sanctuary there, it looked very nice but it was cold and wet when we were there - winter time. I think it was about 1 hours drive from Melbourne but can't remember exactly.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi John

Healesville is a lovely area, are you thinking for a day out or to live?

I would love to live there although I feel it would be to far out for us.

Kate

Hi, we have driven through Healesville and went to the animal sanctuary there, it looked very nice but it was cold and wet when we were there - winter time. I think it was about 1 hours drive from Melbourne but can't remember exactly.

Hi John

Healesville is a lovely area, are you thinking for a day out or to live?

I would love to live there although I feel it would be to far out for us.

Kate

Thank you for that.

It's my Mum and Dad thinking of doing a house swap with a couple who need to be in Essex for the birth of their granchild.

So just trying to do a bit of home work on their behalf.

Any more info what so ever will be much appreciated.

John freezing in Essex (-5)

Guest windsor

I know Healesville Sanctuary is there which I plan to visit soon.. They would need a car.. It is inland but very beautiful and green. Lot's of vineyards and like living in the country around there.

I know Healesville Sanctuary is there which I plan to visit soon.. They would need a car.. It is inland but very beautiful and green. Lot's of vineyards and like living in the country around there.

Thanks Windsor

The'll be quite indpendant the plan is to swap lifes for 3 monthes car, house, country, but not wifes I hope Mum's and Dad's don't do that. not mine anyway.

Thanks John

Guest ceegee

I was at Healesville Sanctuary just before christmas. and the area is beautiful. as windsor says.. very green and full of vineyards and winerys. Also very windy roads. Healesville itself is a small town with plenty of shops and Coles Supermarket ( a bit like our tescos or asdas).

Is about a 45 min drive from Melbourne

I was at Healesville Sanctuary just before christmas. and the area is beautiful. as windsor says.. very green and full of vineyards and winerys. Also very windy roads. Healesville itself is a small town with plenty of shops and Coles Supermarket ( a bit like our tescos or asdas).

Is about a 45 min drive from Melbourne

Keep it coming in more the better

Thanks ceegee.

Guest ceegee
Keep it coming in more the better

Thanks ceegee.

hehehe your very welcome.

amazing what you notice when your not driving LMAO

Guest Gunner

It depends on when they are planning the swap and what they like to do.

Its a small quiet country town in the Yarra Valley. Cold in winter and can be hot in summer.

Lots of wineries but a long way from the beach

Healesville is a nice place, in fact a lot nicer than it used to be. It is now more or less called the 'gateway to the Yarra Valley', etc, the wineries (do the bus tour and you don't have to drive) and outer eastern housing estates of Melbourne. It is quite like the country, without being too far away from the city, you can drive to Lilydale station and catch the train into the CBD. Some of the express trains on the Lilydale line will get you there in around 50 mins. There are also some other small places worth a visit and a coffee such as Yarra Glen (also has a nice country pub there). The Sanctuary is great for a lovely walk around and taking photos of kangaroos!

The main street of Healesville has a few more cafes and gifts shops than it used to and a day spa, as it has been benefitting from Yarra Valley tourism. It has a supermarket, but if you want a larger shopping compex then drive/bus it down to Chirnside Park or Eastland in Ringwood. Victoria - packs a big punch for a "small" State!:jiggy:

My friends do house swaps and they live in South Frankston and one lot of people found it a bit too far away from the city for them. They wanted to go to the city and enjoy what it had to offer and this meant them taking an hour long train trip each way or the car for an hour.

It depends what your parents want to do, if they want to be close to the beaches and the city of Melbourne Healesville is a long way out. Its a small town and unless you had friends there it could be lonely. A lot of tourists pass through. There are not a lot of shops there you would have to travel to another shopping centre. Car as someone has said would really be essential.

Also coming from England the distances we are used to here are much greater than what your parents would be used to and I think if you are doing it for house swap not to live this is important.

I'll get em to pop round and read all your responses.They plan to be there from March so the weather may not be a problem. Dad likes it hot Mum is a bit medium.

keep it coming in I always knew you were a good bunch.

John

Guest The Pom Queen

John

I am sure as a holiday destination they would love it if they want to sit back and relax. My mother is over from the UK and we went over there last week and she said she would love to stay there, mind you I think that was after seeing all the wineries en route.

Like others have said, it is out of the way and the distances compared to the UK may be a problem but otherwise I think they would love it.

We are about 20-25 mins from Healesville, and I think its a fabulous place. I would also love to live there, but its a little too far from my work.

It is about an hour from the CBD, but within half an hour max, you have Lillydale/Montrose, the Canterbury road which runs into the city, great if they just want to wander around a few shops or shopping centres etc. Healsville itself has some nice shops/galleries etc as well (more classy boutique style shops) and some very nice restaurants/bars/eateries.

The sanctuary as already mentioned is a great day out, but the Yarra Valley is just around the corner and there are many places there worth visiting, een including balloon rides over the valley if they are up to something like that. The town of Yarra glen makes a nice day out as well, and there is a racecourse there as well, which I am told is a great afternoon as well

The Dandenong ranges where I am has some fantastic places worth visiting. Sky High, Puffing Billy, villages like Olinda, Sassefras etc, etc

Another place worth visiting is a friend of mine at the Big Bouquet. A flower (Gerberea's) & Alpaca farm which has quided tours in Healesville.

In short, if they are there for 3 months, there is plenty to keep them occupied.

Depending on when they are visiting, many of the wineries have dinners/concerts/tours etc at various times of the year.

hope this all helps.

Paul.

Archived